Clutch Soak

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim oneill

triplex
Reaction score
As reported in my posts in the NERPT section I am experiencing a problem with my 2013 whereby upon engaging the clutch lever I find that I have to wait for a second before attempting a downshift from 5th to 4th and 4th to 3rd or I will experience sticking and hard shifting

Others have posted that this problem should be solved by having the dealer perform a clutch soak as this should be a warranty issue.

My question is what exactly is a "clutch soak" and does anyone else with a new 2013 have this problem?

I thought that maybe it was a oil issue, so I changed to Mobil 1 motorcycle specific synthetic and also added a little STP when I changed the oil yesterday but the problem still exists afterwards

Any thoughts/suggestions? and what exactly is a clutch soak?

The exact sequence and process has been covered here before but right now I am TOO LAZY TO LOOK FOR IT.

Basically, you remove all the clutch components and soak the plates in engine oil. There is some discussion that the clutch does not receive enough oil and dries out. This causes shifting issues.

*EDIT* So glad I got in before it made NEPRT!

Last edited by a moderator:
Try typing this clutch soak site: fjrforum.com into you favourite search engine, I use Google. Take your pick from the results.

Several people have reported finding a sticky black residue on their plates, probably some sort of protective 'film' not properly removed during assembly.

Most bikes don't have a problem, just those built on Friday or Monday...............................

Been doing this since 07, They have a sticky grease on the clutch friction discs new and they stick together and don't "release" when you pull in the clutch. Do what I did, ride the crap out of and slip the clutch on some hot launches, worked fine after about five or six good "burn outs" The soak is taking them out, cleaning them really well with a degreaser, then soaking in oil for a long while (overnite) before reinstalling them. do the burn out method, much more fun.

The clutch on my 2008 was not releasing/sticky as well when it was new. I had read about the clutch soak here on the forum. I talked to the dealership about it and the tech there was skeptical but he contacted Yamaha and they had him do the soak on my clutch. The soak resolved my sticky clutch and was paid for by Yamaha.

The clutch on my 2008 was not releasing/sticky...I had read about the clutch soak here on the forum...the tech there was skeptical...
Congratulations on getting it fixed and done on Yamaha's dime.

[Editorial comment]

The fastest way to turn off a dealer is to say you read about it on the internet. Dealers will often stubbornly not do something just because you said you read it on the internet. I have never heard a dealer say, "Thank you for that informative information." I will also note that after reading on the internet and this Forum how some people interface with the dealers that I NEVER want to be a Yamaha sales or service employee.

[/Editorial]

A couple of old tricks might help..... a couple of hundred miles or so before your next oil change, add a cup or two of automatic trans fluid which is good for clutch plates and is a good cleaner for all the internals. Try to ride a hundred miles at a time so everything is up to operating temperature for an extended time. Optionally, add some STP motor treatment, which is mostly kerosene and naptha, as they are good slow acting solvents which will help to remove any greasy stuff. Note, these are slightly diluting your motor oil, and don't exceed their recommendations on the amount. Also I wouldn't recommend any burnouts or high revving stuff. You could use Seafoam as well (they recommend it), but it has isopropanol (for water absorption) that would make me choose the STP first. When you change the oil, use a motorcycle specific oil for the next period. If you still have a problem after that, go for the clutch soak.

The clutch on my 2008 was not releasing/sticky...I had read about the clutch soak here on the forum...the tech there was skeptical...
Congratulations on getting it fixed and done on Yamaha's dime.

[Editorial comment]

The fastest way to turn off a dealer is to say you read about it on the internet. Dealers will often stubbornly not do something just because you said you read it on the internet. I have never heard a dealer say, "Thank you for that informative information." I will also note that after reading on the internet and this Forum how some people interface with the dealers that I NEVER want to be a Yamaha sales or service employee.

[/Editorial]
I completely agree with you. He (the tech) was trying to tell me my bike was normal and I knew it wasn't. I noticed the sticking within the first 100 or so miles from new. I waited until I did a 600 miles oil change and the problem persisted. When he said there was nothing he could do, I then talked to him about the forum and the clutch soak. I had given him the chance to come up with a fix on his own.

But, as I said, I agree with you. Just imagine all the people in their doctor's office because of all the commercials for medicines as well!

As reported in my posts in the NERPT section I am experiencing a problem with my 2013 whereby upon engaging the clutch lever I find that I have to wait for a second before attempting a downshift from 5th to 4th and 4th to 3rd or I will experience sticking and hard shiftingOthers have posted that this problem should be solved by having the dealer perform a clutch soak as this should be a warranty issue.

My question is what exactly is a "clutch soak" and does anyone else with a new 2013 have this problem?

I thought that maybe it was a oil issue, so I changed to Mobil 1 motorcycle specific synthetic and also added a little STP when I changed the oil yesterday but the problem still exists afterwards

Any thoughts/suggestions? and what exactly is a clutch soak?

As a follow up to the above I took the bike back to the dealer and had them call Yamaha to discuss how to fix this issue. The tech people at Yamaha said to do a clutch soak and change the clutch hydraulics. This was done under warranty and now the bike shifts smooth as butter. Hope it stays that way!

On a '13?... really? Is it not obvious to Yamaha yet that they have an issue?

I think it's horseshit.. an otherwise almost perfect machine, and they let this continue to happen.