Coast to coast in 48 1/2 hours

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It isn't a true journey if you don't make a few wrong turns!

Great storytelling! Just keep going at your own pace, it gives me something to look forward to each day (I know, I have a sad life!).

Waiting for next instalment. Man I am so jealous of you Gary. Way to go doing this trip. When you get to doing the four corners we have to meet up. Your welcome to visit anytime.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it's worth, I read all your replies and have enjoyed every one. I'll keep my responses to a minimum in order to keep my head in the game, as they say. Just got back from a 5 day vacation with my daughter Kelly. Took her and my granddaughter in the cage to Saint Petersburg. What a trip it was. I could talk about it all night, but I'd have to start another thread. Ehh, maybe. We'll see. Speaking of another thread, I'm looking forward to taking a trip up to the Tail of the Dragon usin' the cage to tow the bikes (my FJR and Kathy's 1972 Honda CB350 four). Planning on taking lotsa pics... just like I did this week in Saint Petersburg. At least I'll have the option of doing a report if'n I get the gumption.

I'm only offering because I care... If it will help you finish this darn report and if it takes some stress out of your life, I am willing to take daughter Kathy and her motorcycle to Robbinsville. I know all the better roads and where the best waterfalls are. I guarantee she would have a great time.

Oh wait, never mind. Mrs. Redfish Hunter just read this over my shoulder. Game Over!

Nice try, RFH!
flirt.gif

Make the voices stop:

Fresh out of San Diego, I look down at the speedo. Running about 3 over the limit, my usual. Brain: "Not good enough. You'll end up crying the blues 'cause ya ran outa time." Conscience: "Don't go riding like a fool and end up with a speeding ticket. It's not worth it, just behave yourself." Wrist: "I think I'll dial it up to 6 over. Nice round number." Brain: "Fine, but don't get sloppy." Conscience: "I can live with that, but don't push you're luck. I've dealt with you guys too many times before, and you KNOW i'm always right." Brain: "Hmmmph." Wrist: No response. Must be busy trying to focus... Anyway, while this conversation's going on, I'm noting a couple things. The temperature is wonderful. I tell myself, "Enjoy it while you can."

There are three things in this life you KNOW:
You are gonna pay taxes, you're gonna meet your maker one day (I'm looking forward to that, actually), and this nice weather is only temporary. So I'm riding along, thoroughly enjoying the scenery. Question: could somebody please tell me why it's so hard to keep a motorcycle in it's lane when you're checking out the scenery? In the cage, it's a piece of cake. On the bike, it's murder. One thing's for sure: since I already recognize that it's murder, and take extra precautions as a result, what seems like murder is not likely to turn into suicide, if you know what I mean.
Sell everything?
Anyway, I'm so very jealous of you west coasters who get to enjoy these mountain roads and this amazing scenery. The rest of you: If you've never been out west to see all this, sell everything that isn't tied down, like the dog, the kids, the wife... what ever, and take a trip out west. You've got to see it to believe it. Honestly, pictures just don't do it justice. For example: some mountains look like a pile of marbles, smooth and polished; while others must be a collision between splintered wood and fresh accidented windshield chunkies. (The butchered English is deliberate, save the advice). Put em all on one plate, and maybe stitch 'em together with those goofy power lines that ya find yerself starin' at for hours on end, and what a picture it all becomes. The finest artists on the planet can't capture what the Master has painted: reminds me a little of Romans 1:20. Don't know that one? Look it up. But this scenery: it's something you feel as much as something you see. Ja jest gotta be a sicklin' man to knowwhatImeanjellybean. DISCLAIMER: I've got pictures, zillions. But we've seen them all, really. I'll leave it to the other master photogs on this forum to handle that. See the first paragraph of this thread on page one for my intentions in writing this whole thing. My pics will usually take a different direction.
Back to the action: the curves are starting to get tighter. The speedlimit is still the same, but those yellow diagonal warning signs are becoming more numerous. The guardrails are getting rather colorful; too many have tasted the mountain's wrath here. Studying the guard rails, I think I'm hearing voices... "The faster ya go, the funner it gets, big boy." Conscience: "Tell the guard rails to SHUT UP." Look at speedo: 6 over... lookin' good. Somewhere in the midst of this conversation, some young fool on a crotch rocket comes blastin' by. This time it didn't scare the snot outa me because I saw him coming up in the rear-view.
Mission Impossible?
He was really smoking. Brain to wrist: "common, just this once, he ain't got nothin." But the mission here is to finish this coast to coast run in one piece, and hopefully able to say that I didn't destroy every speed limit in the country to do so. Besides, driving like that carries a high price. So as I watch Ratchet-wrist go by, I said to him, "You'll get yours, soon enough. Maybe not today, but soon enough." Unfortunately, the echo from his screaming exhaust drowned out my voice. For me, it was, "Use your head and stick to the game plan." So I kept tooling along and behaving myself, enjoying some of the most amazing scenery while I watched the jester dancing through traffic in some desperate attempt to entertain his inner demons.
Sewing and Reaping
One nice side effect of making the wrist behave: you can spend a little more time actually enjoying the sights. Now, hold on to your seat, ladies. Double check your seat belt. Are you ready for this? About 20 minutes later as I came around one of the final corners coming out of the mountains, and using engine braking to keep the speed in check, guess what I discovered? A number of Bible verses came to mind. "They that live by the sword die by the sword." and "Be sure your sin will find you out." and "Be not deceived... whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap."
Where are the cops when ya need 'em?
Once again, as I have seen so many times before, justice was served. The boys in blue got their man. Ratchet wrist was sitting on the side of the road watching those beautiful blue lights flashing in the rearview mirrors of his sidelined crutchrocket. "Crutch?" Yup, you read that right. 'Cause once he's free to go, he'll be usin' it to LIMP back home, tail between his shakin' legs. HotRodZilla coulda nabbed this guy EASY, but he was probably too busy workin' on more important things back in Albuquerque :)

Cops-Love-Donuts.jpg

Why oh why didn't I break out the camera? What a great pic this would have been. Probably too busy smiling.
Note: "Conscience, you were right again. Thanks for showing up during that big debate a while back..."
8:40 am Yuma, AZ
Pulled into my first gas stop, happy that the temps weren't too bad yet and hopin' to get back on the road ASAP. The first stop, I didn't do too bad. On the road in short order and continued on my way. I'm about half way through my journey across I-8 to reach the point where it will merge with I-10. However, this was the last stop I'd make before the sweat began to roll.

Gary
darksider #44

Ratchet wrist - I like it - I like it a lot. Me well after riding with other riders I find my 5+ or so speed is best described as tourist mode. While in tourist mode I can keep the bike on the road while rubberneckin' at the scenery.

Regarding the West coast I was born, raised and still live in Seattle. We be spoilt brats out here on the West Coast. I have road many of the of best roads along the West Coast and Western Canada. I do like what I see in GeorgiaRoller ride reports and someday hope to make it back Appalachians.

On topic. AWESOME ride report. I like the way you dribble it out here for us to create suspense.

Thanks to some help, here is the photo I was trying to post.

9373224793_863d4b4f13_c.jpg

Now, let's get back to the great ride report. Gary, I am really enjoying your story. It is a trip I have really been wanting to do, although I had planned to do it in the opposite way, meaning, since I too live in Florida, I would ride up to Jacksonville, spend the night and start out on the CC50 in the morning. Then upon arriving in San Diego, hopefully within 50 hours, take a rest day, then take a more relaxed ride back, doing some sight seeing and visiting some family and friends. Any thoughts from you on doing the hard part first would be appreciated. I know some think it is better to end the ride with the CC50, but I was thinking I would have a better chance of completing it if I had not been on the road for a couple of weeks beforehand.

Again, really enjoying the report.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the "mountains". I-8 has lots of variety from the beach, through town, through the mountains, then the desert to the Colorado River... And into AZ.

Next time you are out to the Left Coast, we'll have to head up to the Sierras.

Heading for Casa Grande now: at some point near this stage of the ride, I started heading downhill steadily out of the mountains as the sun rose in the sky. I remember thinking to myself, wow the temperature is changing quickly. Too quickly. I started sucking on the bite valve of the Camelbak. Looking at my watch, it was just after 9am. Began noticing a great deal of cactus along the side of the road. Some of them are rather interesting looking. Not much to talk about here, just that temp was consistently rising.

11:27am Casa Grande, Az.

Almost noon now and the temps have really skyrocketed. I've made about 350 miles in 6 1/2 hours, not too shabby. In running against the clock, it's amazing how quickly the minutes click by when you get to a gas station. Fill her up, fill in the log in sheet, get the receipt write a large #3 at the top as well as the bike's current mileage. Head for the bathroom, take care of business, head for the counter: "Excuse me sir, can I get some ice in my Camelbak?" "Your what?" came the reply. Open large fill cap on unit to demonstrate. "This is called a Camelbak. I fill it with ice and water so I don't roast out there." It seemed like someone switched on the light as he nodded his head in agreement..."Sure, go ahead." So we begin the procedure:

Got some 'splainin' to do

Hold the mouth of the Camelbak up to the ice chute, and push the button. Simple right? Not for me. Accidentally bumped the orange soda lever and began filling the Camouflage cover of the Camelbak... to the left of the opening that I was aiming for. Oops... I'm thinking: "How am I gonna explain this to AJ? He lets me borrow his Camelbak, and I fill up the cover with orange soda." Jut for fun, I asked a customer to take a picture of my wrestling match.

81dc0cfb-d005-4fe6-a51d-31dbbb9329b0.jpg

Back on the road, I had another thought, "Does this stuff stain? Can this outer cover be washed?" Note: Call AJ and fess up, beg forgiveness and hope I don't get arrested or something. Why couldn't I have just bought my own Camelbak? At least I wouldn't have to worry about getting tasered or something. Just my luck he'd have my dead body stuffed with donuts and hung over the mantle. Good grief, why am I thinking all this stuff? The heat must be getting to me.

1:09pm Benson AZ

Had to stop a little early because I was sleepy. Little did I know that this would become a constant problem from this point on. I suppose a doctor could explain why this is happening, but nothing's going to prevent it, it seems. Filled the tank, back on the road. The thermometer is well over 100 now. You know it's REALLY HOT when it's cooler with a jacket on and the visor DOWN. I've never experienced heat like this.

3:58pm Lordsburg NM

This was the most difficult part of the journey thus far. Amazing how ya can drink a 100 oz of water in 2 1/2 hours and not have to go to the bathroom. My sweat glands are at full throttle. I'm glad I'm not a dog. My tongue would be hanging out the visor and slobberin' all over my helmet. My iPod's parting with its 1600 songs, one at a time, via bluetooth and my new Sena SMH10. The Neotec is rocking from side to side, not from buffeting as the CalSci Cee Bailey +4 reverse flip is amazing, but from the natural consequences of some really great music. Ya can't just sit still listening to the oldies. The toes are tappin' and I'm singing along. Nice thing about the low Arizona humidity: Singing Foghat doesn't fogulate my visor
smile.png
I've got my throttle lock set most of the time as the road is fairly flat out here. I"m holding speed at about 5-8 over and traffic is light. However, as the clock ticks closer to the hottest part of the day, the thermometer is looking like the horsepower gauge during a ZX14 dyno run. The FJR is taking it all in stride but it feels like 200 !!!

5:45pm Las Cruces NM

Had to stop for water, so might as well fill up too. This is interesting. I'm needing to stop for water more than the FJR needs to stop for gas. By now I'm sucking on that bite valve like an automatic milking machine. As a matter of fact, my stomach is so full of water, I'm thinking that maybe I oughta slow down on the water a little. But I can't. I think I'm addicted.

This was my longest jaunt in the saddle. As the sun sank lower in the sky behind, I was shaded a little by my Givi and the temps were dropping as I finally came up out of the desert.

DON'T TALK ABOUT THIS ON A RIDE REPORT:

I STRUGGLED MOST OF THIS DAY. I've read a number of ride reports, and it's something about the way guys think: we have to sound positive and glowing and excited about taking these rides we engage in. However, there's another side of this story.

It's lonely out there. Not the kinda lonely some of you might be thinking about...

Lonely.jpg

But the kinda lonely that no matter what's going on around ya, you're just ALONE... and in case you're wondering, I rode alone because I couldn't find anybody else who could/would go with me.

Lonely.jpg

I would have loved to ride WITH somebody, but because of the number of times I had to stop due to fatigue, I probably would have required another to have a lot of patience: nobody wants to ride with a guy that wants to stop all the time, especially when the clock's ticking and there's a deadline.

More later

Gary

darksider #44

Fill cup with ice, pour into camelbak? Does that one have the extra large opening for putting in ice and liquids? If not, when you buy one, get one with that option, because it rules!

Fill cup with ice, pour into camelbak? Does that one have the extra large opening for putting in ice and liquids? If not, when you buy one, get one with that option, because it rules!
Yes Jansen...It has that. I'm not a tool, it's just that Gary was a "CamelBak virgin." He really shouldn't have stressed about that Mule so much. I TOLD him not to worry about it, but he did. I gotta say when I got it back, that's the beat shape I have ever had a loaned item returned. Really, I wouldn't have cared if the thing came back with orange soda stains. I'm just glad it worked for him as well as it did.

FWIW, I'm ANAL about my equipment. The things I use for work and play are the best I can afford, and sometimes more than I can afford, but can't afford to be without. My stuff almost never fails because if it is junk, or not set up for ease if use, I ditch it. I still have my CamelBak with the small opening. Haven't used in in 10 or more years. The big mouth units are the way to go and have been the only ones available for probably the last 9 or 10 years.

Yep, I have three or four camelbak's and I've learned a little with each one. Expensive way to learn so I try to pass it on to folks who might be buying their first. My first one didn't have the 90 degree bite valve...big no no on the bike. Second one had the smaller opening and smaller bladder. Like you, I suffer in the summer here in the south so I went with the Mule. Fine piece of equipment and it goes with me whenever I'm riding, bicycling or hiking in the summer.

Gary, did you always wear jeans and civvie shirts for the ride as shown in pix above?
I've got three three riding jackets. I brought the mesh Dainese with me on this trip but didn't wear it all the time.

Using a cup for ice and water: I learned early on that sometimes, I have to pay for the cup. Besides, it takes too long. For me, time is of the essence. Having never done a coast to coast, and being one who struggles with getting fatigued rather easily, every minute wasted is another minute I don't get to sleep. After a little practice, I could fill the CamelBak and be gone in less than a minute. But I thought ya'd get a kick outa one of my early efforts. Interesting byproduct: Ya shoulda seen the looks on the faces of sooooo many people who perhaps never saw a CamelBak before and no doubt wondered why that fool was filling his backpack with ice. Sometimes, it was as if a hush fell over the room, and as I turned to go on my way, several were staring in disbelief. Oh well: not the time to make a speech, though as a teacher I would have no problem addressing an room full of people...

Gary

darksider #44

I spent a lot of time praying for the strength to continue as the pace and the heat were brutal. This was indeed one of the greatest challenges I've ever faced in my life. It's hard to describe how grueling this ride was. If it were possible, I would have sucked the bladder of that CamelBak right through the mouthpiece.

When it gets really hot, even a young and healthy rider is going to struggle. I am neither. Both Bgross and HotRodZilla warned me that the heat will really sap your strength. Were they right about that? Check the chart below. Note: it was indeed, Saturday.

img1335899589428.jpg

I found myself trying to stay away from the air blast. If I slouched down in the seat, less air hit me, and the better I felt. However, that became a battle with my back, which got sore in a hurry because of that slouching. It's not just the body that gets warn out from the heat, the brain does some funny things as well. It was soooo hot and soooo dry, I thought I saw two trees fighting over a this little guy...

methusala.jpg

May the best tree win... winner takes all !!!

Even when I sat down to eat, I didn't feel like my usual self...

atthehospital.jpg

I took out the camera, and shot this picture through my rearview mirror. This was surely a day of victory. It was not easy to get this picture while riding at speed. But this was my moment of glory, and I knew I'd want to share it with someone. I can't count how many times I was so tired that I wanted to quit. But I could not. I didn't know how I would fare tomorrow, but for this day, I had won. I remember looking at the sun, braggin: is that all you got? Your're going to bed, and I'm still riding. The sun and his gruesome partner, the desert had taken their best shot at me and my FJR, and we had won the battle...

CIMG1956.jpg

Did I mention how much I appreciated the fact that the speed limits in Texas are 80? You can see the local speed limit in the bottom right hand corner of my GPS (above).

9:36pm Van Horn Texas

Anyway, about an hour and a half after the picture above was taken, with 844 miles behind me, it was time to call it quits for the first leg of my 50cc journey. I took refuge at the Budget Inn in Van Horn. I filled the tank, paid for my room, and set the alarm for 4 1/2 hours sleep, and not one minute more. I wanted to reserve the time to stop to sleep again tomorrow night if I needed to: and based on the way I was feeling, I felt like that would be my best bet. I don't ever recall being more exhausted than I was at that moment in time. Ever have a hard time going to sleep? No such problem in Van Horn Texas. Wouldn't it be nice if you could book a hotel room based on the amount of time you spent there and/or the amount of mess you made? I never even pulled back the covers. As a matter of fact, when the alarm went off, I got up and left. Other than 30 seconds to use the potty, I never even stepped into the bathroom. When the maids came in several hours later, I'll bet they wondered who had booked the room. It looked just like it did when I first walked in, except for a wrinkle or two in the bedspread. I would have loved to sit down to their continental breakfast, but all was dark when I pulled out around 3am.

Stay tuned to this station:

Gary

darksider #44