Cold feet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently got pulled over leaving a stop light shortly after it turned green by an un-marked car that was in another lane. The LEO was a nice guy and did not write me a ticket. He informed me that I had left the intersection so fast that I hit the speed limit of 55MPH before he was even got to 10MPH. He was sure I was speeding, but my top speed was 57MPH by the radar. I did not get a ticket because I did not break the speed limit by more then 2MPH, pull the front wheel of the ground, spin the rear tire, or look reckless. It was simply a very quick acceleration. In truth, I got the feeling I got pulled over because the acceleration impressed him and he is a fellow rider that wanted to look at the bike.
John,

That was sooo funny. I have to agree.... they see it, don't hear it, and can't believe it....

Eric, I am fortunate enough to have a nice collection of bikes to ride. Like many others on the forum, when I want to have some silly fun, I ride one of my Blackbirds, solo. My wife will only ride passenger on my FJR, (I just bought an '08 in addition to my '05) and we have taken quite a few multiple hundred mile days together. With peg lowering brackets, an aftermarket seat (if you find it necessary) and a decent backrest (aftermarket or topcase), and possibly a different windscreen, you should be comfortable for the long haul.BTW, You can find an '08 (some improvements over the '07 and it's BLACK :yahoo: for $ 11,999, pretty much in your backyard at D&H cycle.
How do I get in touch with D&H although I still need to find a local one I can ride first to see if I want it.

John, and who says the FJR doesn't have great throttle control. HA HA, I loved your post. If only I had been so lucky last month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I road one today,, I had to drive over 100 miles to find one that they would let me ride, and I have a couple new questions for you.

First let me say that My initial fears came to nothing. The power was fare,( super on low end ) and I am sure you all can advise me on what to do to get a little more out of it.

It handled very well to me. I actually thought it felt lighter than I expected it to for its weight. It reminded me of my old 1st gen FZ-1 with a little less power and a little more weight, but overall very close IMO.

I know that doesn't fit with what I have read here.

But the ride brought up some new concerns.

It felt "Buzzy" is the best non-word I can think of to discribe the vibration throughout the bike. the sellsman said " oh that will go away as it breaks in" ah,,, yea, right.

But I don't know so I thought I would ask you guys, does it?

or, is there anything you can do to help that?

I couldn't find any postions that I liked the windshield at. ( I am 6' 165 lbs.) what works for you?

Can you get highway pegs for the 07's. ( I would have to have them to keep my hips from cramping)

Over all I think I am going to get one, (I found 1 with 2500 miles on it for $11,000 from an individual)

I think I would have $11500 after tax and tags. Is that good?

I couldn't get the dealer under $12,411 OTD, and for that I would go to D&H and Get an 08 even though I like the black Cherry better.

Thanks for all your help. I hope you guys don't get tired of stupid question very easily.

Eric,

As far as the wildshield goes, you can buy a larger replacement. (I'm 5'11" and 205 and the stock shield works for me.) I have never considered my FJR buzzy. It is very different from a v-twin but not buzzy. The seating position is very different from a cruiser but after a few rides you should settle in just fine. My legs cramped on my first couple of longer rides but not a problem after I got used to it. I would not consider highway pegs.

I've been really please with my FJR.

Good Luck,

Joe

:rolleyes:

well i cant answer as to the buzzyness because i didnt buy mine new and havent rode a new one

as for the windshield tell the club what you really didnt like about it... there are so many variations of after market shields out ther

i am preaty sure that there are hiway peggs out there that will fit i just dont remember which part of this sight i saw them at

and as for the price most are asking near the 15k for new and around 12 for last years but i think there is one dealer that is lower on the price.. let me try to look it up.

10999 for a 2007 modle

2007 YAMAHA FJR1300, 2007 Yamaha FJR 1300 Supersport touring perfection. The FJR's 145 horsepower, light aluminum frame, push-bu…

DEALER:

Kennedy's Elyria Sports Cycles…(888)564-3302Email Seller

Updated Jan-07-2008

You need a bike with power and size. I'm 6'1 and 225 lbs and my wife sits find and dandy on the back of this beast. It's not the bike for the faint of heart or an idiot engineer type. Get yourself a 2008 Kawasaki zx14. You won't be dissapointed. :clapping:

But the ride brought up some new concerns.It felt "Buzzy" is the best non-word I can think of to discribe the vibration throughout the bike. the sellsman said " oh that will go away as it breaks in" ah,,, yea, right.

But I don't know so I thought I would ask you guys, does it?

or, is there anything you can do to help that?
>It is not a secret that inline 4's are a bit "buzzy". If the throttle bodies were out of sync or spec, which could have been the case on a new bike, then this "buzziness" can be tamed down to a comfortable level by doing a throttle body sync. Not hard to do and is done at 600 mi. service.

Eric post='362477]I couldn't find any postions that I liked the windshield at. ( I am 6' 165 lbs.) what works for you? [/QUOTE] [COLOR=#0000FF]>I am close to 6' as well and with the window at about eye level with the top said:
Can you get highway pegs for the 07's. ( I would have to have them to keep my hips from cramping)
>Yes you can get highway pegs for the Gen II's from Wild Bill in Montana. Is found under the "Vendor" section on the forum. And I would recommend a person at your height put the seat in the higher setting and that would allow for some extra leg room that helps with the cramping issue more than a set of highway pegs IMO. Test riding the bike you were on the seat was as most stock new bikes probablly in the lower setting.

Over all I think I am going to get one, (I found 1 with 2500 miles on it for $11,000 from an individual)I think I would have $11500 after tax and tags. Is that good?
>$11,000 is not that great of a deal on a used Gen II bike IMO. If you can do it I suggest go for a new bike unless a good deal is made. There are members here who have bought Gen II's in the 9 to 10 grand range but 11,000 would not be out of the question depending on the condition of the bike and miles on the OD.

I couldn't get the dealer under $12,411 OTD, and for that I would go to D&H and Get an 08 even though I like the black Cherry better.
Thanks for all your help. I hope you guys don't get tired of stupid question very easily.
>Eric, the stupidist question is the one that was never asked. Good luck on the search and keep us updated. Take care, PM. <>< :D

You need a bike with power and size. I'm 6'1 and 225 lbs and my wife sits find and dandy on the back of this beast. It's not the bike for the faint of heart or an idiot engineer type. Get yourself a 2008 Kawasaki zx14. You won't be dissapointed. :clapping:
I have looked at them. There is a point where function and looks must meet. the ZX has functuion, but its looks are not my taste. But you are correct they are a great bike.

I always laugh at people who ask enthusiast groups about how great their particular item is, and why the author should buy one.

This bike blows, worst thing on two wheels, ever. Don't buy it. I'm embarrassed to own one... I'm pretty sure its making me gay.

:derisive:

Go ride one, then come back and ask us which windscreen you should get. :D

Well I did it... After driving all over creation I ended up finding one just 30 minutes down the road ( Go figure) Got it for $10500 also. So I am happy as a lark ( what is a lark anyway?)

I go pick it up Monday afternoon. No doubt I'll have plenty more dumb questions then.

Thanks Everyone,,,,Really

now thats the way to do i.. research the heck out of it.. then let an impuls and luck pick out your bike..

and with good luck both would have been the same result..

gratz on the fjr

Eric , I came from a hd glide and i did buy a Cee Bailey's sheild that has the flip on it, 4 wider and 3 higher and it does a great job in the down position to 100mph. I did also buy the peg lowering kit . These may come off with time but it does offer a bit more leg room. I have road for 26 years and have not been down yet and don't intend on finding the limits of this bike . I can also tell you don't waste the money on the highway peg kit that bolts to the engine for long legs , ain't worth the money. There was a picture of a highway peg setup that a rider made that i may try to copy that mounts to the sliders that looks like a better idea. That fjr sure does grow on ya. Wife even likes the rear peg location and seat better than my glide.