confessions of a barbarian failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd493

Reaction score
Okay Followed the instructions to the letter. Kept the screen open just to recheck instructions.

I tried 4 different styles/sizes of jumpers, thin speaker wire, paper clip, 14 ga. solid copper and 18 ga solid wire. I can't get the jumper to lock in place and I can't get past the diag. screen on my '04 .

Do you have to use a 22k ohm resistor and how far down should the leads be? Thanks Todd H.

Okay Followed the instructions to the letter. Kept the screen open just to recheck instructions.
I tried 4 different styles/sizes of jumpers, thin speaker wire, paper clip, 14 ga. solid copper and 18 ga solid wire. I can't get the jumper to lock in place and I can't get past the diag. screen on my '04 .

Do you have to use a 22k ohm resistor and how far down should the leads be? Thanks Todd H.
Ummm you don't add a phisical jumper wire... You move 1 wire from 1 location to another. Depending on gen 1 or gen 2, there different wires to move. Double check the Bon O facts for your specific year

Ummm you don't add a phisical jumper wire... You move 1 wire from 1 location to another. Depending on gen 1 or gen 2, there different wires to move. Double check the Bon O facts for your specific year

This says you do/ can on a 2004....barbarian mod

:dntknw: #25-#29 wires jumped? 03 wiring is different. Sounds like your not getting "connected" on one of 'em. I used a paper clip a coupla years ago, no problems. Make sure the connector snaps in without any interference. Don't know besides that.

:jester:

An Silent, ya do use a "jumper" wire as you're connecting two leads together. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I used several strands of 14G, through the ecm plug, tucked under the plug, then over and through the opposite hole, through and tucked. Placed this way there is no chance of accidental contact with the wrong pins. Reinstall the ECM plug and stuff dielectric through and around the wired area. Be sure you access the ECM correctly, to do so, turn off the fuel pump via the kill switch,

hold both buttons down

key on

wait

DIAG appears

release

press the left button

CO will appear

release

press both buttons

wait

CYL 1 appears

release

press both buttons

wait

CO setting for 1 appears

press left button to raise number, right to lower

press both to save setting

press left button to move to 2

press both buttons

CO setting for 2 appears

and so on.

With the dielectric in place, the wire can be left in for future experimentation. A resistor or anything else fancy is not necessary. The current demand is non-existent, the strands are small enough to prevent any resistance plugging the ECM connector in place once the wire is in place. By all means record original numbers for future reference.

Resistor-CO-fix.jpg

Barbarian Mod

An Silent, ya do use a "jumper" wire as you're connecting two leads together. :p
Bah! Like I would know the difference between an '07 and an '04 wiring :p

I was under the false impression that the gen 1 and 2 were similar, just different wires.

(That and I missed the '04 bit :dribble: )

I tried on my '04 too, but after the diaG screen it went into a BUNCH of oddball descriptions/#s as I scrolled through, hoping to come upon the CO screens, the fuel pump kept activating. I filled my Depend twice, aborted the mission, and bike ran fine.

I used several strands of 14G, through the ecm plug, tucked under the plug, then over and through the opposite hole, through and tucked. Placed this way there is no chance of accidental contact with the wrong pins

This worked for me Thanks Radman. The kill switch thing and the stranded wire definitely made this work out.

The throttle is alot smoother on roll-ins now. Thanks everyone for all your input. Todd H.

I see I was late finding this thread!

This applies to Gen I owners only:

I was an '04 Barbarian Jumper pioneer which led me to use the 22K resistor to protect the ECU should something not go as planned. When my write-up was posted to the FJR1300(dot)info site there was some editing that removed the explanation for my use of the resistor. [SIZE=12pt] The resistor is not necessary, use a plain wire jumper.[/SIZE] :) I left the 22K resistor in place on my FJR because it works fine and I didn’t want to take the ECU connector apart.

I used several strands of 14G, through the ecm plug, tucked under the plug, then over and through the opposite hole, through and tucked. Placed this way there is no chance of accidental contact with the wrong pins
This worked for me Thanks Radman. The kill switch thing and the stranded wire definitely made this work out.

The throttle is alot smoother on roll-ins now. Thanks everyone for all your input. Todd H.
The kill switch thing is just to avoid unnecessary activation of the fuel pump-it doesn't aid nor detract from the CO functions. After setting CO, one can return the kill switch to "on" and fire the bike, and ride with the CO function still enabled other screen functions are, of course, disabled. This allows for easy tuning while on a test ride; add or subtract CO numbers to feel the effects of the change almost instantly on rideability, throttle roll on, and surge symptoms.