Confusion from dealer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vulcan

Reaction score
OK...here is a strange thing that has happened to me. Last June when I bought my 05 FJR I got a call the following day from my salesman. He is asking me how I like the bike etc then he tells me that I need to take the saddle bags off the bike as they have a defective mounting bracket (only my bike and two others he sold he tells me). Yamaha will be shipping him a new bracket mount for inside the bags and he will call me. So I pull off the saddle bags and wait for his call....of course it never comes. That Sept I stop by and see him. He remembers the telephone call and says that he is still waiting for the parts. I wait some more and then I stop in to see him in January...still waiting on parts. I am a little concerned about all this as I have not been able to use the bags since I bought the bike. I also find it strange that there is not any word about this bag issue on any of the forums etc and nobody else I have talked to has ever heard of this issue. Today I stop in to talk to the saleman....he no longer works there. I speak with the parts and the service guy....he looks up on the computer and tells me that there is no parts on order for my bike and my bike is not the subject of any recall. Now I am a little choked about what is going on. I talk to the manager and he can offer no information on any problem with the bags. The manager was going to contact Yamaha directly to see if there is an issue with the bags specific to my bike and get back to me. All of this has left me wondering just what is going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you got a reach around. That dude was laughing all the way to unemployment.

It sounds like the has made a tidy sum by pawning your bags to some one elese .

YOU have been had kiss those bags good by.

Now the solution, go find the guy and kick his ass then get your money.

wekend rider :D

My guess is they forgot to Loctite, blamed it on a recall, kinda sorta maybe were going to get your bike in, but blew it off. Other than the locks falling off (which I'm sure you've heard about on this board) I've never heard of another issue. Maybe check the torx screws yourself.

If I read the original post right. He only pulled his bags off and stored them (without using them all this time) waiting for a call from the dealership that the new brackets had arrived. The way I read it wasn't that he turned his bags in and now they are gone.

Mount those bags up, check the mounting brackets and bolts, check the lock retaining screws, and start using your bags again.

I think that salesman was clueless. It wouldn't be the first time.

Well I for one thing the bag mounts are defective. I mean they cant even survive hitting a deer at 50mph! They all need to be recalled until this problem can be fixed!

Well I for one thing the bag mounts are defective. I mean they cant even survive hitting a deer at 50mph! They all need to be recalled until this problem can be fixed!
...Ummm.....I think your bags were defective because you were in Utah. Sure the cornfed deer in that country are big, but if the bags are supposed to be beer proof it's gotta be some other reason. Maybe the 3.2% beer is at fault.

...Ummm.....I think your bags were defective because you were in Utah. Sure the cornfed deer in that country are big, but if the bags are supposed to be beer proof it's gotta be some other reason. Maybe the 3.2% beer is at fault.
Oh the bags are beer proof. I have yet to spill a drop due to the side bags.... ;)

I think they need to be equipped with some sort of sharp slicing edge on them. Yeah, that would work.... :butcher:

Twas it me, I would stop by the yami dealer with the bags, have the service dude check the mounting just for a little CYA, then ride and forget about it. Should something happen, you had them checked before using. (Document your visit)

I'd use my contacts to illegally look up his address, show up at his house and beat him silly with a baseball bat. :ph34r:

kidding

Have Yammy make sure they are Loctited then use them.

How comes it took you this long to mention it??? :rolleyes:

I still have the bags sitting in my closet so that is good. I have never needed to use the bags yet as most of my riding has just been to work and back or afternoon trips....Now with WFO fast approaching I want to get my bike 100% ready and I will be needing the bags. I really like the look of the bike with the bags off (and it certainly is easier to get on/off the bike!). I think I will just go over my bags with the locktite trick and ride. Perhaps I will have a look at some other FJR bag mounts at the WFO and compare them to mine. At the end of all this runaround it just makes me wonder what was the salesman's point in screwing around like this....They ran an ad on their website offering 8 FJR for sale at $2600 Canadia off MSRP. I went in and bought one the next day (I was 6 of 8) for the advertised price.

Sounds like another "newbie" practical joke by Radman. I'll have to remember not to fall for that one ;)

The upside is riding around with no bags the bike looks good and easier to manuever through traffic and the garage.

Though I couldn't manage long without them <_< .

Yeah....they should have put some kind of slice-and-dice mechanism on them so when you do hit a deer, all the work is done for you. Bag and tag, baby...

Gotta have my bags, man. I've got some crap in there everyday. And, IMO, she looks damn sexy from the rear with those bags on. A kinda 'ghetto-bootie' on a bike.

I know, I know, I'm sick.

Gotta have my bags, man. I've got some crap in there everyday. And, IMO, she looks damn sexy from the rear with those bags on. A kinda 'ghetto-bootie' on a bike.
I know, I know, I'm sick.

+1 Good Discription :D

I step on the sidestand to make it easier to clear the bags, otherwise if not diligent the heel can easily clip them
Good Discription :D

I step on the sidestand to make it easier to clear the bags, otherwise if not diligent the heel can easily clip them.