Connecting Hot Grips to OEM heated grip wiring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmjf86

Reaction score
Looking at some Hot Grips vs OEM heated grips and just wondering if by replacing the connectors on the wiring for the OEM heated grips it would be possible to use that wiring for Hot Grips rather than running new wires to my fused power blocK? Also, I don't know how/where the heat controller fits into the wiring but if the OEM controller has a plug-and-play capability that could be converted for use w/ a non-OEM heat controller that would seem logical as well. I'm all for saving some $$ w/ Hot Grips vs OEM but there is something to be said for a quick plug-and-play installation! A combination of the less expensive Hot Grips and using the existing wiring w/ some simple modification would be the best of both worlds. Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts if you have done this or know someone who has. Mike

No it is nt a good idea to use the OEM wiring and you should run a wire from your fuse block.

The second question is harder to answer. I went with the OEM grips and they are great but they were expensive. If you are trying to save a buck or a few hundred go with the hot grips or check out the symtec heaters.

If you use google to search the forum you will get lots of info on all of these subjects. This has been asked and answered here many times so there is a wealth of knowledge already written.

Type your keyword into google followed by "site:fjrforum.com" example - hot grips site:fjrforum.com

Most of the heated gear doesn't really draw all that much current, and Hot Grips say 3 amps. I don't think I would be too concerned about using the existing wiring. Just keep a reasonable fuse in there 5 amps, say. That should be more than enough to protect a small gauge wire. I believe the controller is a electronic pulsing type.

I have had Hot Grips on other bikes and like the size/feel, and the way they are made they don't transfer the heat to the bars. They aren't perhaps quite as hot as other grips, but very adequate.

In case you haven't started this project yet, I highly recommend NOT using the stock wiring. I added heated grips off a Honda ST1300 to my FJR using the stock wiring and it didn't work very well. The Honda grips will go into power shedding mode if the system voltage drops too low (13.2 volt if I remember correctly) and using the stock wiring they would often go into power shed mode (ie reduce power or completely shut off). After rewiring to my switched power panel (essentially straight off the battery), I no longer have a problem unless there's lots of other power draw items on (heated liner, high beams and fans all running).

Edit to add: to clarify what I said above, the stock wiring is small guage and there was too much voltage drop. Running a heavier gauge wire results in higher voltage (more heat) available at the grips.

Last edited by a moderator:
The OEM heated grip circuit is IIRC, an extension of the headlight circuit. It's a high-risk adventure to use it. You can however, use the infamous Blue Connector of that circuit to trigger your own heated grip relay after the engine fires.