converting Zumo via points to way points for a 276c

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfulcher

Reaction score
I am trying to plan a ride with a friend. He has some very nice routes but they are planned using his MapSource for his Zumo. I can open and view the files and routes (they are really twisty :clapping: ) with my copy of MapSource and they look great. However when I transfer the routes the via points don't transfer and I get direct routes on main roads. Is there a way to convert via points to way points?

edit to add new info

I just tried to add the files to my 60Cx and they worked fine. I guess the problem is with my 276c. I have City Navigator V8 on both units. It works fine on the 60Cx but not on the 276c. The first sign of problems with the 276c is the message "This route does not match the available maps! It will not follow the roads precisely. Do you want to recalculate it?

"Yes" recalculates a direct boring route and "No, Use It anyway calcualtes straight line routes between way/via points." WTF?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have ALL of the maps involved in the route loaded into the 276c?

If yes, then I'd suggest an early morning phone call to Garmin tech support for advice.

I have the same problem loading some maps a friend did on his Garmin 2610 into MY 2610. The maps he did supposedly were done using V8 City Navigator, and my Mapsource program (Version 8) on the computer shows his routes just fine. When I download into my 2610 from my mapsource program I get the same message as you get "maps don't match". Go figure.

I could understand it if I just downloaded his maps into my 2610, but I open his maps in my Mapsource, works fine, save again, download into my 2610 and wont work. If I laboriously duplicate the route he has as a new route using Mapsource and download THAT into my 2610, works fine...same route in the end, but a lot-o-work.

Ed

I am sure that someone on the Zumo Forum could answer your question, I usualy find my answer there. Good luck.

See if your friend can save the routes as GPX or MPS format. MPS files seem to transfer well to 276c.

GPX would be my first shot. All the points will be translated to GPX coords in the GPX format. Then when you recalculate on your 276c, it SHOULD pick road points within 600 feet of the GPS coords.

Root of the problem is that his maps and your maps don't match, and somewhere his maps reference a road that's not within 600 feet of any road on your maps. You might try tearing the route apart into sections and looking for the trouble spot.

Other alternative - update your maps on the 276c.

I was going to ask... rfulcher, have you "physically" recalculated the maps in your computer software before downloading to your unit? I have a 276C that seriously needs the mapping updated & this will usually cure problems.

Last night, I downloaded all routes that Jeff made f/ EOM & I had to do this for all of the routes. I've used Jeff's routes several times & this is what I normally do. (You are so good to me, Jeff... Love ya' man, no shit)

One day, I plan to have a unit that I have no problems with... until then "RECALCULATE" is tops in my GPS vocabulary.

Heidi

If the maps you've created the route on are the same product and vintage as those in the target navigator it will work properly.

This isn't a 276 issue, it is an application issue.

yeah well, it usually works for me & I felt that it was worth mentioning.

Good luck to ya' rfulcher.

I was going to ask... rfulcher, have you "physically" recalculated the maps in your computer software before downloading to your unit? I have a 276C that seriously needs the mapping updated & this will usually cure problems.
Last night, I downloaded all routes that Jeff made f/ EOM & I had to do this for all of the routes. I've used Jeff's routes several times & this is what I normally do. (You are so good to me, Jeff... Love ya' man, no shit)

One day, I plan to have a unit that I have no problems with... until then "RECALCULATE" is tops in my GPS vocabulary.

Heidi
Thanks Heidi, your solution is what Garmin recommended.

I contacted Garmin support and emailed them working and nonworking routes. They could not figure out why but did find that "RECALCULATE" in MapSource prior to transferring to the 276c seemed to fix my bad routes. I will try this in an hour or so when I get home.

Tomorrow morning I leave for about 800 miles in WV :yahoo: and have some really good routes I want to try but don't have any time to mess with the GPS. I really want to use th 276c instead of my 60Cx.

Going to WV? Kewl... if you want to peruse some EOM routes for WV, take a look at the EOM thread for a link to where you can download them.

I hope to hear the recalc solves your woes... Oh, and have a good time,

Heidi

Good news. Recalculating the routes in MapSource prior to transferring to the 276c fixed the problem. I am a happy camper.

Ross

Awesome, man... have fun in WV, one of my absolute favorite places to ride.