Coolant change question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcgyver74

Reaction score
Ok,

So I was reading the following article Clicky and I have a silly question

Both the manual and this article say to fill the radiator with proper coolant mix (50/50) Do you just pour it in and that's it? The reason I ask is because on my old C-10 Connie, you had to fill the radiator, then bleed the air from the system (Fill Radiator, open bleed valve on water pump till coolant comes out , bleed air nipple on thermostat housing on water inlet manifold, then burp hoses, Pour more coolant into radiator, burp hoses, repeat ad nauseum)

Is this Necassary on an FJR or is really just drain, blow, flush, and fill ?

You know, when I changed mine, I didn't even do the "blow job". I think I might have run some plain water through the system, but that was about it. Pretty much, it was drain, flush a little, and refill. I wondered about bleeding the system in some way, but it didn't seem to need it; bike runs fine.

Ok, So I was reading the following article Clicky and I have a silly question

Both the manual and this article say to fill the radiator with proper coolant mix (50/50) Do you just pour it in and that's it? The reason I ask is because on my old C-10 Connie, you had to fill the radiator, then bleed the air from the system (Fill Radiator, open bleed valve on water pump till coolant comes out , bleed air nipple on thermostat housing on water inlet manifold, then burp hoses, Pour more coolant into radiator, burp hoses, repeat ad nauseum)

Is this Necassary on an FJR or is really just drain, blow, flush, and fill ?
When I did my 04 a couple of years ago, I used the same article. I even went with the Dex cool, because I use the same thing in my Chevrolet. Just need one kind for both. I followed the instructions as shown and had no problem. If you are going from the green juice to the red Dex cool its a good idea to do a thorough flush. Not sure the two are compatable. Just follow the instructions in the article on the FJR Tech site. Warchild knows his stuff.

GP

[ If you are going from the green juice to the red Dex cool its a good idea to do a thorough flush. Not sure the two are compatable. Just follow the instructions in the article on the FJR Tech site. Warchild knows his stuff.
GP
According to Jestal, in an old post somewhere on this forum, it does not affect the cooling if you mix the two types of anti-freeze, but contaminating the orange stuff with the green stuff will make them behave like the green stuff. That means you need to change it every couple of years.

So no need to bleed the water pump or burp hoses? :)
No.

My suggestion is to skip the flush. Sure, you won't get *all* the old coolant out, but you'll get most. If you flush with water, there will always be some water left in the system. Now, how do get a proper 50/50 mix?

So, these days I just drain, blow out as much as I can, then fill with the Honda pre-mix coolant. And again, no need to bleed the water pump or burp hoses. This makes the whole operation so much simpler. If your concerned that you didn't get all the old coolant out, then simply perform this maintenance evolution a bit more often than normal. All you are doing with new coolant is refreshing the corrosion protection. It will have nothing to do with the cooling system's performance.

What you might find is after riding your FJR for a while the level in the reservoir might go down an inch or so as the system eventually purges any air. No big deal. It's not that much. I always fill to a bit above the 'full' line and then don't worry about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So no need to bleed the water pump or burp hoses? :)
No.

My suggestion is to skip the flush. Sure, you won't get *all* the old coolant out, but you'll get most. If you flush with water, there will always be some water left in the system. Now, how do get a proper 50/50 mix?

So, these days I just drain, blow out as much as I can, then fill with the Honda pre-mix coolant. And again, no need to bleed the water pump or burp hoses. This makes the whole operation so much simpler. If your concerned that you didn't get all the old coolant out, then simply perform this maintenance evolution a bit more often than normal. All you are doing with new coolant is refreshing the corrosion protection. It will have nothing to do with the cooling system's performance.

What you might find is after riding your FJR for a while the level in the reservoir might go down an inch or so as the system eventually purges any air. No big deal. It's not that much. I always fill to a bit above the 'full' line and then don't worry about it.
Correct fixing coolant PH level