Coolant Leak

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saread

Reaction score
Soooo... Last month I take my 08 to my dealer to have the head light assembly replaced and when they're done they tell me there's a coolant leak (it's true, I could whiff glycol occasionally) around my thermostat housing and that they've ordered the parts and will let me know when they come in. I get the call last week and take it in. I wait around for 2-1/2 hrs and I'm about to wander over the service desk to ask about my bike because it's been parked in the shop door for the last 40 minutes (that I could see when they rolled up the door) when the service writer comes over and tells me my bike is ready and that they replaced the thermostat and that YES wouldn't cover it because it's a wear and tear item and that it's cool because they were able to keep the time under the 2 hrs estimated (oddly, it is now exactly 2 hrs from the time they rolled the bike into the shop and what estimate was that?). I ask, how did we get from a coolant leak to a new thermostat and how would YES not cover that? He says, well it's because there was tear in the diaphram on the thermostat and Yamaha considers a thermostat malfunction normal wear and tear - but, he'll call YES and ask again this week. OK I say, and pay the bill and I'm off. But, I think about this. I did the valve check on this bike so I am reasonably familiar with the what, where and how under the tupperware. It did have a coolant leak, there is no controversy there. And, I've got some issues:

1. I'm not sure that a coolant leak shouldn't be covered under YES in any case. I appears that way from my warranty paperwork anyway.
  2. After looking at the service manual diagram, I can't see where a failed thermostat could cause a leak around the housing. Torn diaphram?
  3. 2 hours of shop time? It would have taken me an hour and from the time my bike sat in the door, it probably didn't take them more than an hour either.

I distinctly have the feeling I got jobbed here. But, I may be full of shit. Been that way before. So, is it reasonable that YES should cover a coolant leak and or a bad thermostat? Can a bad thermostat cause a coolant leak on an FJR? Did I get soaked on shop time? Is this service writer a lying fuckwad, or is he legitimately looking out for my best interest? Does anyone really think YES will get a call this week?

Coolant leak covered by yes when its the thermostat? Hmmmm.... I don't know. I would tend to doubt it. A lot will depend on how much the dealer goes to bat for you. Still, only two and a half year old bike? How many miles?

I had a coolant leak that was the thermostat. But mine was 4 years old at the time and had 95k miles. I didn't even try to get it covered by Y.E.S.

The thermostat can most definitely be the cause of a leak as the 'gasket' for the thermostat and the two halfs of the housing is part of the thermostat. Why it would go bad is anybody's guess. See my below two links for more detail of my experience.

Post #1 describing my initial problem.

Post #31 showing all the good piccies.

As for time, there should be a 'book rate' given my Mother Yamaha. While not complicated, it would take me 2 hours as I go slow so I don't f#%! stuff up.

Seems premature to have a thermostat go bad on a two year old bike. I have never had to replace one on any bike ive had. Y.E.S. should cover it if you ask me. Good luck hope they take care of you

Coolant leak covered by yes when its the thermostat? Hmmmm.... I don't know. I would tend to doubt it. A lot will depend on how much the dealer goes to bat for you. Still, only two and a half year old bike? How many miles?

I had a coolant leak that was the thermostat. But mine was 4 years old at the time and had 95k miles. I didn't even try to get it covered by Y.E.S.

The thermostat can most definitely be the cause of a leak as the 'gasket' for the thermostat and the two halfs of the housing is part of the thermostat. Why it would go bad is anybody's guess. See my below two links for more detail of my experience.

Post #1 describing my initial problem.

Post #31 showing all the good piccies.

As for time, there should be a 'book rate' given my Mother Yamaha. While not complicated, it would take me 2 hours as I go slow so I don't f#%! stuff up.
Thanks. The pics were great. The bike has 30k miles and it looks like I am indeed full of shit; no surprise there. I see that the seal for the housing is integral to the thermostat. So, if the seal fails, you get a leak and need a new thermostat. Still, I think the job was overestimated. The thermostat is not in a bad place and you can almost do the job without removing any panels by just loosening them up and holding them apart. One hoseclamp and 3 bolts later, it's done. But, if I got jobbed for an hour of shop time, no big deal. They have been standup otherwise and I probably owe it to them anyway. Now, making me stand around for the better part of an hour so they can justify the shop time...... At least they could have had the common decency to leave the bike on the rack and not park it where the world can see it. I also think a seal failure in the cooling system is a YES coverable offense. I don't see a great deal of difference between a seal in the thermostat housing and a failed radiator cap or blown hose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saread,

Almost all Bike Shops & Autos are given a certain time to do a certain job. So if they do a 2 hour job in 1 hour, they get an extra bonus.... this is fine if they do it Right.

If you feel you are not treated correctly, Call Yamaha Customer Service and they will usually call your Area Yamaha Supervisor to deal with the Shop.

Their numbers for me where on Speed Dial.... and they learned not to screw around with me... just do it Right.

Hope this helps....Don't Bitch....Call