• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Coolant Pipe 3P6-12481-02-00 Needed!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rPGoatBoy

Reaction score
Hello all,

On my Gen II, I managed to distort the coolant tube that mounts on top of the cylinder head using a little more persuasion than I should have during removal. It also houses the coolant temperature sensor. It can be found for $63.00 from Yamaha Sports Plaza or $59.32 from Boats.net. The local dealer wants $76 for it and told me there are none in the states, it'd have to float over from Japan. (could be weeks)

I don't want to wait, I want to ride! Anybody got one of these laying around collecting dust or being used as a doorstop?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Having just done a valve adjustment on my bike, i know the part all too well. I also hate to say it but reinstall is worse than removal in my experience....

I'm thinking your chances are not good that someone has a spare one of those...hopefully I'm wrong.

Nice to know I wasn't alone on this. Between the rubber mallet getting it off and then forcing it back on thought for sure I'd be looking for one myself last week. Good luck with the replacement.

I may have damaged it the first time I removed and reinstalled it two years ago, but was still able to get it to not leak. This time, not so much. IIRC last time I had a hell of a time getting it out/back in, so maybe they're a little off tolerance coming from the factory.

Tell us the truth.....did you use NEW O-rings????

If not, there's your leak. (assuming your problem IS a leak!)

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone in this thread is still interested, I have a brand-spanking new one

that I would love to sell. It's still in the box it came in.

Make me an offer I can't refuse.

Highly unlikely they are off off tolerance from the factory... Those damned things are very fragile.

You have to pry either end equally when ripping the bastards out, otherwise you're gonna have a sad face come time to put it back together as you now know..

One who shall remain nameless had to trailer his back home after tech weekend last spring.

Tell us the truth.....did you use NEW O-rings????
If not, there's your leak. (assuming your problem IS a leak!)
I did! Both times I had removed it. When it bent, it straightened out the bead that captures the o-ring:

aad7919c-284c-42c4-90f6-70039fdcdcee_zps18c461f6.jpg

One who shall remain nameless had to trailer his back home after tech weekend last spring.
That is only because I let a bunch of drunks work on my bike and wreck stuff and that was 2 years ago. Wait a minute....... I was the drunk working on my bike.

Dammit I hate it when that happens. I was able to straighten the old pipe and get it to seal but got a new one and installed it the next time I did valve checks.

What a maroon! You had a perfect chance to throw Andy under the bus an you blew it!
rolleyessmileyanim.gif
alcoholic.gif

My respect level for you has fallen drastically.
beee.gif

A big thank you to kaitsdad for hooking me up with a great used coolant pipe. Amazing how when it's not bent it'll drop right into place. I'll be damned. Fired it up and it doesn't leak a drop.

Without the forum, I'd have been without my bike for at least a week or two.

That is only because I let a bunch of drunks work on my bike and wreck stuff and that was 2 years ago. Wait a minute....... I was the drunk working on my bike.

Dammit I hate it when that happens. I was able to straighten the old pipe and get it to seal but got a new one and installed it the next time I did valve checks.
Whew, glad you were drunk and didn't notice I was the one with the pry bar...... the secret is to get all the hoses completely disconnected first, meaning get the left one undone and pushed down out of the way. Wiggle don't pry........