Corbin Smuggler Trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanAmerican

Reaction score
It would be nice to have a small storage area on the bike. But $799 is a lot of money for an accessory. Anybody got one? Know of anybody who has one?

Opinions?

I cheated because I bought mine used from this forum.

Have done lots of miles with it. When I sold the '06' and bought the '10', Gary painted it to match the new bike.

It's great to have locable, dry storage. The only time I have had water inside it was when I was washing the bike. That's saying something riding here in the Pacfic Northwet.

I don't know what the inside volume is but it holds a lot of stuff.

To me it was well worth the dollors.

Just got one over the winter..it is a great looking, well made, useful and obsenely priced accesory. The blue is a noticeable shade darker than my '06 which I attribute to paint fade over the last five years. Took seven weeks for them to make and ship it. Doubtful that it is watertight altho fiddling with the hinge and catch might fix that, the hinge appears flimsy at first but works well. Overall a nice overpriced piece.

It would be nice to have a small storage area on the bike. But $799 is a lot of money for an accessory. Anybody got one? Know of anybody who has one?

Opinions?
JUST FYI: You can get a small Shad top case like the SH-26 ($79) and the Rear Rack Mount ($36) and have more storage space than the Corbin Smuggler at about 1/8th of the price. Plus you can remove the Shad Case itself in about 3 seconds and take it inside with you.

Just a thought/option.

I cheated because I bought mine used from this forum. To me it was well worth the dollors.
How much did you pay for your used one is the question then? lol

To follow your thread title, it IS a great accessory....AND over-priced.

Memory serves from a discussion several years ago, it is NOT waterproof. Water-resistant, yes, but getting caught in a downpour will get the contents wet....or at least moist.

Is $800 too much? Only your wallet (or wife) can answer that. But look at it this way...it's really only $799! :D

I want one, badly, but like many others I simply cannot justify the cost. I have a soft bag strapped to my Yamaha trunk plate that works for what I need, though lockable sure would be nice. Plus the smuggler looks are simply seeeeexxxxyyyyy on the FJR.

Plus the smuggler looks are simply seeeeexxxxyyyyy on the FJR.
I completely agree! They are very nice looking. If they were a couple hundred bucks I'd maybe have one. $800 is freaking insane for what you get IMO...but that's how Corbin rolls! lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll bet, though, that if Corbin was charging $1600 for it, most of us assholes wouldn't think twice about paying $800!

Got one used on this forum a few years ago... $325 and snatched it!

It's been through a few tropical moonsoons in SoCal... rain the size of marbles for maybe 15 minutes at a time.

Pretty much dry inside with only a little weeping below the seal.

Convenience and security is the big seller. Everything that was in the tank bag is now in a lockable Smuggler.

As for cost, gulp, I'll probably recoup some when I sell. It all works out in the end.

Go for it.

Worth the money.

holds a ton and looks slick.

Quick access to rain gear gloves etc..

I picked up a used one from craigslist (convinced the seller to part it out form the bike he was selling) for $350. It was flat black so I painted it "cerullean silver" to match.

Try looking at "allofcraigs.com" (searches all craiglsist postings nationwide).

Here's a bike for sale with one:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/mcy/2886219203.html

You might be able to convince the seller, since they wont be able to add the full cost to the sales price of the bike anyway.

Worth the money.

holds a ton and looks slick.

Quick access to rain gear gloves etc..
Sorry, but not worth the money. I have one and was not at all happy with the build quality considering the price.

I had to make a number of adjustments to the hinge and repair the mounting bracket that slides into the back seat bracket at the rear of the bike. Paint & glass work were good. For $800 I expected near perfection and did not get it. Having said all that and now that I have it working properly it is NOT for sale.

Got mine for 350 used with a new Pazzo brake lever. It was the wrong color so I sprayed it with bed liner and called it good.

Never had a problem things getting wet inside on a ride but don't park it under a eave that don't have gutters when it rains hard!

Corbin stuff is stupidly overpriced. How do I know? I've got the heated seats and back rest. :lol:

Does the Smuggler mount directly to the passenger lock point? Like slip it in and press down just like the stock seat fits?

Does the Smuggler mount directly to the passenger lock point? Like slip it in and press down just like the stock seat fits?
Exactly correct, after I fixed mine so that it would latch in properly. The back bracket on my Smuggler was not properly attached and came completely off the first time I mounted it on the bike. The cheap pop rivets they used were not properly done and did not even have any washers between the pop rivet head and the fiberglass to distribute the load. IMHO the stress would have easily cracked the fiberglass had I not redone the whole thing using construction adhesive, large washers and good quality pop rivets.

I paid $900 for mine from Corbin, would i do it again?????..........FUCK yes in a heartbeat. is it worth that money? who knows but I like it and mine was new and didn't need any adjustment.

R

I don't know what the inside volume is but it holds a lot of stuff.
...perhaps a complete unmolested pie? :)

Great accessory, but unless I could find one very reasonably priced it's not in the cards.

--G

I paid $900 for mine from Corbin, would i do it again?????..........FUCK yes in a heartbeat. is it worth that money? who knows but I like it and mine was new and didn't need any adjustment.

R
I paid ~$550 for mine new from Corbin in 2006 and have had one on my 2005 for six years. So, for less than $100 a year, it holds what I need it to hold, and looks good doing it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have no argument with the man who has a lower price. He knows better than anyone what his product is worth. And yes, I'd do it again. :)