Cornering confidence

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The issue I have with the GW is the way Honda does the options. If you want anti-lock brakes you have to get the navigation and xm package.

Regarding the FJR I like the fact it doesn't have the weight of a GW or HD. Taking this thing to work or a weekend trip or running an errand is all the same.... zip in and zip out. Plus the chicks dig the way it looks. ;)

I deploy in two weeks, my FJR is already packed, so for all intensive purposes, I consider myself "deployed". Just not good with the words and when someone mistakes me for being deployed, I just don't bother clarifying cause, well, I'm right around the corner from that being true anyway.
And as for the sneaker, that was my mistake. It's a military style boot with a zip up side that has sneaker-like soles. So I was scraping my "sneakers" is not particularly true. I was scraping the rubber on the bottom of the sneakerlike boot.
752-545-41.jpg
I love these boots. Comfy, lasted four years, adhere to all necessary regs for DOD riding, easy to zip on and off once the laces are set, and pretty cheap. Sorry about the confusion.

I guess what it comes down to is what I probably should do is keep the FJR, and add whatever necessary that I want on there (CB radio, powerlets for heated gear, etc). With the main focus being that while the GW is a great bike and I thoroughly enjoyed riding it, once I get back from my upcoming deployment and practice practice practice, I'll find it's limits much sooner whereas the FJR will give me more to learn and has higher limits to attain.

Alexi
Stay safe soldier :eek:k: we'll all be waiting and thanks for your efforts...

So what is it about the goldwing that made it feel so easy? Like I said, I love my FJR, but I haven't tried anything like this on the FJR.
The age of modern thought arrived in 1325, and it brought the radical notion that you can interpret evidence from the world

to arrive at truth (rather than listen to authority) ... and the world has been much better since .

:dntknw: So take your FJR out on the same 3 1/2 hr road course, get the evidence yourself and post up an evaluation afterwards.

apples to apples and all that ...

$.02, and happy new year

Last edited by a moderator:
Alexi, I posted in the GL1800 forum, but I then saw your responses here. I rode a 2004 GL1800 when I began riding with Jim (jjsc6) and another friend of his who had FJR's. Once we hit anything twisty, I found the big girl started to wallow at the speeds they were running on the FJR's. This led to some very bad situations, I hit the crash bars, the undercarriage and at those speeds I didn't exactly how the rolling road in the corners were going to effect the handling.

I bought a used 2003 FJR and the machine is rock solid in the turns. I now can keep up with Jim without pressing the machine beyond it's capability. I had to learn the different dynamics of this bike. Lean forward and in the direction of the turn, relax the hands, relax the body, keep the head parallel to the ground, trust your tires and don't pucker up. You have to keep pushing the handlebars to make the turn, it is more prone to want to come out of the lean then the GL1800. Once you learn this and become comfortable, the FJR is as close to a crotch rocket as you can get with a shaft drive (possible exception to the Concours).

IMHO

Alexi wrote:

I guess what it comes down to is what I probably should do is keep the FJR, and add whatever necessary that I want on there (CB radio, powerlets for heated gear, etc). With the main focus being that while the GW is a great bike and I thoroughly enjoyed riding it, once I get back from my upcoming deployment and practice practice practice, I'll find it's limits much sooner whereas the FJR will give me more to learn and has higher limits to attain.
Whoa there young fella. We don't need you to complete a successful tour only to come back and buy it on the front end of a Buick. We need you to have fun and add to the gene pool and strengthen the economy. As anyone with serious track time will tell you public roads are not the place to hone your limits, even at 90%. It's just a loosing game. If you want to get the adrenalin pumping and develop real skills (highly reccomended), go directly to your nearest track for their next school session. The stopwatch will tell you more by noon than you can learn in a year on the road. AND you won't wonder if you're better - you'll KNOW you're better.

Best of luck and thanks up front.

Well, let me throw in here. I came from a BMW K1200LT...just as heavy and big as a GW. I think it handles a little better, but that's for another thread. Since getting my FJR I have found that I can take a lot of the same curves at the same or higher speeds with much less lean angle.

At first that was a bit surprising and also had me reviewing my cornering, both mentally and physically. Recognize their is a difference in the bikes and they are going to handle differently. One isn't worse than the other, just different. Given time and enough curves I think you will find yourself right at home on the FJR.

Good luck and thanks for everything!

Keith

Take a riding course!

1.) A nice "brush-up" when you safely return will be a good thing!

2.) Renewed confidence in your motorcycle because of improved techniques is something that will transfer to any bike you own.

Thanks for your service to the citizens of this country. :clapping:

Well, let me throw in here. I came from a BMW K1200LT...just as heavy and big as a GW. I think it handles a little better, but that's for another thread. Since getting my FJR I have found that I can take a lot of the same curves at the same or higher speeds with much less lean angle.
At first that was a bit surprising and also had me reviewing my cornering, both mentally and physically. Recognize their is a difference in the bikes and they are going to handle differently. One isn't worse than the other, just different. Given time and enough curves I think you will find yourself right at home on the FJR.

Good luck and thanks for everything!

Keith
To be honest, without having really had the chance to ride the same roads on both, this may be a big part of the issue here. I may be able to handle curves just the same, but maybe it just FEELS like I'm cornering harder on the goldwing cause I have to lean more. While on the FJR, I do lean my upper body very slightly to the inside of the curve (VERY slightly) and so it may not be leaning as much and so maybe "feels" like I'm going slower. Kinda like the difference between 75mph on a highway on an FJR vs 75mph highway on my former bike (unfaired, naked 919). Same speed, but the FJR feels like it's nothing while the 919 makes me hang on lest my arms get ripped off with the air hitting me.
Also, in response to JAFI_FINK, I noticed that too. The FJR, after turning, pops right up with little effort. While the goldwing wants to fall (lol . . . maybe cause it's 1000 pounds?)

Well, I'll definitely take the expert riding course when I get back (probably right after a basic riders course) to get back on the right foot. I'm still not sure on bringing the FJR to a track though. I think that'd be almost abusing it as it is. I'll probably buy a used KLR 650 as a second bike and use that as my "abuse" bike. Fire roads and a little offroading, track practice, etc. It'll be cheap to find one.

Alexi

PS - Liking this board. Getting lots of good ideas from it.

Alexi,

I think you got a bunch of good info/advise here on this thread.

Bottom line: Hey, ya have the FJR now. Take the time (not much, especially if your tires are OK) to set up yer suspension and tires/pressure. Then, give it a fair shake out...minimal time and cost investment required.

Then, if yer not happy with it, go buy whatever floats yer boat!

I also want to take the opportunity to thank you for your service to this country. God speed and protect you until your return. And please contact us to let us know how you're doing and what decision you make.

JC

One last thing about the Goldwing:

Although the bikes as a whole are extremely heavy, their motors' are 6-cylinder boxer motors that sit extremely low in the bike. This creates a low center-of-gravity (CG), which aides in rider confidence.

This is the same reason why BMW bikes like the RT's have always been heralded as good handling bikes... They have boxer motors that sit extremely low as well.

Alexi, what is your MOS and what unit are you in? Most Installations have FREE MSF courses basic and advanced now, the new standard I believe is an MSF course every 3 years, used to be 5 years, and before that, it was 'recommended' Our Great Uncle likes to protect his investment :clapping: and MC related accidents are off the charts. Get in all the riding you can before you leave.... I can drive all kinds of fun things, some with the price tag that peobably exceeds the GNP of some third world nations, but what I'd give to ride a motorcyle..... EVEN a Goldwing :dribble:

One last thing about the Goldwing: Although the bikes as a whole are extremely heavy, their motors' are 6-cylinder boxer motors that sit extremely low in the bike. This creates a low center-of-gravity (CG), which aides in rider confidence.

This is the same reason why BMW bikes like the RT's have always been heralded as good handling bikes... They have boxer motors that sit extremely low as well.
and one more thing... the 6-gallon fuel tank on the GW is center frame below the seat. Yep, well laid out...and necessary cause you really can't muscle a 900lbs motorcycle if physics won't cooperate.

Alexi, what is your MOS and what unit are you in? Most Installations have FREE MSF courses basic and advanced now, the new standard I believe is an MSF course every 3 years, used to be 5 years, and before that, it was 'recommended' Our Great Uncle likes to protect his investment :clapping: and MC related accidents are off the charts. Get in all the riding you can before you leave.... I can drive all kinds of fun things, some with the price tag that peobably exceeds the GNP of some third world nations, but what I'd give to ride a motorcyle..... EVEN a Goldwing :dribble:
The Navy also now has the Military Sport Bike Riders Course (MSRC) which is required if you have a sport bike or sport-tourer. I think I read it was a joint development between the Army & Navy, should be available to all branches. One day course.

The MSRC can be taken instead of the ERC to satisfy the 3-year refresher requirement and must be taken for sport bike or sport-tourer riders.

Take care over over there Bulldog9. I have one more float to make in my career (I hope) later this year.

I came off a 05 GL1800 to the 06FJR I have.... the GL is a great bike... a better pure touring bike IMHO.... and I rode the hell out of mine in the twisties too..

But it is no match at all for an FJR in the twisties or in a straight line speedfest.

I felt sa bit uneasy on the FJR too at first because the pegs did not touch down for some time and I did not trust the tires.

I few classes and allot of practice and I feel pretty comfortable now.... My idea of elapsed time has been adjusted accordingly as well

And thank you for what you do!

As a vet, and a civilian, thanks for your service.

I'll just be restating some of what others have already said. It is good information. In attending a cornering clinic found I have developed some less than desirable riding techniques I was not aware of. When I asked for sugestions about improvement of my skills, both instructors, Bret Tkacs and Nick Ienatsch said to start with another MSF course, move on to more advance courses and read Nick's book "Sport Riding Techniques, How to Develope Real World Skills For Speed, Safety and Confidence on the Street and Track." Use the book as a tool to work on skills. Practice, practice, practice.

I ride a GL1800 as well as my FJR, and I, too, have felt what I would have described as an instability with the FJR. After talking it over with a friend of mine who rides a BMW, but borrowed a GL1800 for a short time, we've concluded that, as good as the Wing handles, bikes like the FJR respond quicker and we found ourselves starting our turns too soon when coming back to the FJR/BMW, resulting in having to countersteer back out of the turn slightly. Compounding this is the fact that the FJR/BMW responds quicker than the Wing, which can be construed as "twitchiness."

Alexi first I also want to thank you for your service. In my years I have owned 3 GWs and enjoyed each of them. They were a 1200 and two 1500s so I have no experience with the 1800. The 1200 was the best handling in the twisties for me but it was a little smaller and lighter.

I got my 07 FJR a little over a year ago. I found it to be very agile in the curves, much more so than the GWs. I agree with others that you just need to get out and go for it a few times and then as you build your confidence in your FJR you will really appreciate it handling qualities. I can easily do more than 10+ in curves on it with complete confidence. It does come down to personal preference and if you are going to have a pillion partner, especially one that is a little uneasy with "spirited riding" then the GW may be a better bike for you. Otherwise, I think you will learn to appreiciate the almost 200 lbs less and more agile handling of your FJR. Good luck with what ever decision you make. Just ride safe and enjoy.

As a vet, and a civilian, thanks for your service.
I'll just be restating some of what others have already said. It is good information. In attending a cornering clinic found I have developed some less than desirable riding techniques I was not aware of. When I asked for sugestions about improvement of my skills, both instructors, Bret Tkacs and Nick Ienatsch said to start with another MSF course, move on to more advance courses and read Nick's book "Sport Riding Techniques, How to Develope Real World Skills For Speed, Safety and Confidence on the Street and Track." Use the book as a tool to work on skills. Practice, practice, practice.
Nick Ienatsch is actually the man who developed the Military Sportbike Riders Course - my understanding is he did it for free, too.

Alexi first I also want to thank you for your service. In my years I have owned 3 GWs and enjoyed each of them. They were a 1200 and two 1500s so I have no experience with the 1800. The 1200 was the best handling in the twisties for me but it was a little smaller and lighter.
I got my 07 FJR a little over a year ago. I found it to be very agile in the curves, much more so than the GWs. I agree with others that you just need to get out and go for it a few times and then as you build your confidence in your FJR you will really appreciate it handling qualities. I can easily do more than 10+ in curves on it with complete confidence. It does come down to personal preference and if you are going to have a pillion partner, especially one that is a little uneasy with "spirited riding" then the GW may be a better bike for you. Otherwise, I think you will learn to appreiciate the almost 200 lbs less and more agile handling of your FJR. Good luck with what ever decision you make. Just ride safe and enjoy.
It is easily capable of dropping into a 35mph curve at 65, two up, exit from same curve at 85, and still be within a safety margins... It is practice, knowledge, and more practice.