Correct Oil Level?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcsnclh

Reaction score
The oil level site glass on my 04 appears to be completely full, checking it on level ground on the center stand. I just bought this bike and have the service record that shows the dealer did the last service about 400 miles ago.

Q: Shouldn't the level be about halfway in the site glass? In my previous life on an ST, there was discussion about excessive engine vibration if the level was past the halfway point. Anything like that with the FJR?

Thanks,

Clay in Auburn

Check out the owner's manual - basically just about anywhere in the sight glass is ok. From my experience (short, two oil changes) oil multiplies in this bike. I've put the oil level at halfway and after a "normal" ride I come back and it's at or near the top! Dealer probably filled it to near the top - and it grew after your first ride. Mine now shows a very little space at the top and that's ok with me. If you're not sure just how much over the top it is, loosen the drain plug and let a little out (recommend you do it when the oil is cold!). Good luck with your bike.

Yamaha says the level can be anywhere between the two dimple marks in the crankcase casting next to the sight glass. These marks are slightly inboard of the sight glass itself, but it's close enough that basically any level visible in the sight glass is acceptable. Yamaha probably has some further fudge above and below, and most dealers tend to overfill slightly, probably without any harm.

Worrying about exactly where it is between the marks is getting pretty anal.

- Mark

Make sure you are checking it at the right time. Start it up and let it run a minute or so. Then shut it off and give it a few minutes to check the level. It should be between the dots. If it's overfilled, you might want to remove some. Just make sure the turkey baster is clean before the wife gets home ;)

I noticed the same thingas markjenn. My dealer changed the oil at the 600mile check and it too seemed to run to the top of the window. I chaned my own to synthetic (mobile one gold cap and pure one filter) @ 2500 miles with exactally 4.23 quarts and the level runs right between the marks.

my $.02

mo

I just changed my oil and filter....4 liters makes it right in the middle. It's nice when you can use full bottles and not have extra left over to store.

I've changed the oil about 10 times now and have noticed the slight 'rising oil' syndrome.

My theory is it starts with draining the old oil. If you drain it on the center stand, then shift it to the side stand, you will get an additional few ounces. You can then fill with 4.23 quarts (or thereabouts) and it will initially read at exact level. But after some running time, some additional oil emerges from some nooks and crannies, and it will then read near the top of the sight glass. Has happened to me every time. It does not 'grow' beyond this level, so I don't fear any contamination, just some residual oil coming forth. I always have a bubble near the top of the sight glass. The last couple of ounces affect the reading a lot.

Many here say fuggit and drain from center stand only, put in exactly one gallon and they are good to go, with the reading smack in the center of the sight glass.

If a dealership does their standard drain job from center stand only, slaps in 4.23 quarts, you are likely about 4 oz too full. I'd suck a bit out so I could at least see some little bubble in the sight glass, otherwise, you'd never know for sure. Yea, get the turkey baster, next Thanksgiving comment on the great new flavor of the bird, honey! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
1 gallon of Rotella T full synthetic and 8 oz of STP blue top honey, puts the oil level right in between the marks. I've gained a little too, but if you do as others have suggested with checking it on the centerstand after running a minute or two, it always runs between the marks.

Mike