Off-topic about service intervals and self-service

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
I got a quote of for a 16K service of $1900. Said it would rejuvenate the bike. That won't rejuvenate my wallet. Does that sound right to anybody? Every service after that would be between $400 - $1000 from the next few services. Should I just buy a new bike every time I need it serviced?
This thread just keeps on coming back...

$1900 for a 16k service? WAY off the mark. Even if they do the valves, it should be far less than half that much. If they don't do the valves, there is no reason why it should be even $400. Valve check is quick and easy. More time and care is needed if valve adjustments are needed.

Do most of it yourself. Get a service manual and/or look at the many "how to" posts on this site and elsewhere. Ask if you need direction to suitable resources although do yourself a favor and search first.

In terms of "rejuvenating" the bike, BULLSHIT! There will be little or no perceptible change in the "feel", performance, power, handling, noise or economy.

Change the oil/filter

Change rear drive fluid

Check and at least blow out the air filter using compressed air (probably doesn't need changing)

Bleed the hydraulics (brakes and clutch)

Check stuff (air filter, hoses, fasteners, tires etc.)

Check brake pads - should be OK unless you use them a lot or something has been sticking.

Clean/lube brake/clutch front levers - make sure you remove and clean/lube the brass bushing on the clutch lever

Clean/lube rear brake pivot and shifter linkage

Verify correct operation of lights, switches, horn etc

If it hasn't been done, check the torque of the steering head - relube if you want but probably isn't necessary

You can likely ignore the swingarm - I have seen pristine looking swingarm internals after over 100,000 miles

Clean/lube the shock linkage "relay arm" This one is a PITA the first time - especially the front bearing (read about it) Dealer probably doesn't include this.

Might not hurt to change the fork oil although you could get away with waiting a while. (quite easy to do)

If you are not checking valves, coolant and spark plugs can likely wait until then although you should check coolant level

Give it a bath and go for a ride!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do most of it yourself. (Get a service manual and/or look at the many "how to" posts on this site and elsewhere. Ask if you need direction to suitable resources although do yourself a favor and search first.

In terms of "rejuvenating" the bike, BULLSHIT! There will be little or no perceptible change in the "feel", performance, power, handling, noise or economy.

Change the oil/filter

Change rear drive fluid

Check and at least blow out the air filter using compressed air (probably doesn't need changing)

Bleed the hydraulics (brakes and clutch)

Check stuff (air filter, hoses, fasteners, tires etc.)

Check brake pads - should be OK unless you use them a lot or something has been sticking.

Clean/lube brake/clutch front levers - make sure you remove and clean/lube the brass bushing on the clutch lever

Clean/lube rear brake pivot and shifter linkage

Verify correct operation of lights, switches, horn etc

If it hasn't been done, check the torque of the steering head - relube if you want but probably isn't necessary

You can likely ignore the swingarm - I have seen pristine looking swingarm internals after over 100,000 miles

Clean/lube the shock linkage "relay arm" This one is a PITA the first time - especially the front bearing (read about it) Dealer probably doesn't include this.

Might not hurt to change the fork oil although you could get away with waiting a while. (quite easy to do)

If you are not checking valves, coolant and spark plugs can likely wait until then although you should check coolant level

Give it a bath and go for a ride!
This is sound advice! I have never had my bike professionally serviced. I invest in a repair manual up front and (mostly) enjoy getting to know my bike while doing the various services etc. Most of the work is very easy - don't be intimidated. The FJR is still fairly new to me, and my 16,000 mi service is coming up next month. The only areas I need to research (YouTube) are swingarm and shock linkage lubes. The rest sounds like very easy stuff. My bikes so far have been XJ900, ST1100, ST1300, and FJR1300ES - never had real problems except some issue with the XJ900 that I managed to fix with super glue, solder iron, and some gum...

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the Service intervals shorter in the US in the UK they are every 6000 miles
The US owner's manual recommends oil changes every 4,000 miles (oil filter every 8,000). I personally find that excessive, so I go at least 5,000 miles between changes. On my old ST I used to go with 6,000