Costco Kawasakis

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
Just seems like I'm noticing things I haven't seen before in the world of motorcycle sales. My local Costco had a Kawasaki dirt bike up on a display stand in the middle of the tire center the other day, with brochures about how you can now buy a Kawi through their Auto Sales program. They're saying they offer "huge savings" and "low prearranged pricing" on all models through local dealerships and 20% off all parts (if you buy the bike, I guess). Plus, if you buy, Costco gives you a $250 cash card bonus. You have to fill out a form with your info on line and a sales type will contact you, so I don't have any idea what kind of deal this really is, but in general, Costco is pretty legit on most purchases.

Then today I got a postcard from Yamaha. Using the code on the card, I can claim a test ride from any of the local dealers on my choice of: "FZ1, FZ6R, FZ8, Raider, Road Star, Stratoliner Deluxe, Stryker, Super Tenere, V Star 250, V Star 950, V Star 1300." Plus $200 "factory direct cash." The little rebate isn't so unusual, but motorcycle test rides are pretty damn rare from dealerships. I'm not in the market, but I think I'll be taking the test ride anyway--I can resist the sales pitch just fine (noticed they weren't offering up FJR tests). Wonder which one I'd like to ride most? I'm thinking maybe one of the quick little sport bikes. Any thoughts?

p.s., I'm curious--I wonder how widespread this is. Who else is getting this offer?

I'm surprised the S10 is in the list. That might be what I'd want to try, though I'd also like to try an FZ8. That just seems like it would be a great little solo mount.

Another "sign of the times" for me: SAAB has finally declared bankruptcy with no rescuers in sight. I've been a SAAB loyalist for 30 odd years, and am sorry to see this "alternative" brand disappear. A local SAAB dealer here in NH is selling off the remaining new cars at some pretty huge discounts.

This has prompted me to thinking about what motorcycle brands and/or models are more vulnerable to these recessionary times. I guess my only thought is that models that are typically used for more utilitarian purposes are somewhat less vulnerable, as they can still be justified as commuters, vacations, etc. But bikes that are used as ass jewelery are probably more likely to have a harder time finding takers when it comes down to a choice between basic necessities and weekend toys.

Not exactly sure where that leaves the FJR, somewhere in the middle I suppose, but it seems to me that the Japanese and American companies who have invested so heavily in the Chopper / Cruiser mystique may be in a for a big let down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started receiving HD sales flyers offering test rides and special financing offers since last summer. I thought that was kind of strange, as I havent owned a HD since the late 80's, and have no idea why I would be on their mail list.

https://www.cycletrader.com/Yamaha%7C2321194-Super-Tenere-Motorcycles--In-Chandler-Arizona/search-results?type=356953&make=Yamaha|2321194&model=Super+Tenere|764934129&modelkeyword=1&zip=85225&radius=400&sort=year:desc Fred W: If you want a Super Tenere, there's a glut of them here in the Southwest; and the dealers are really trying to move them.

I am really surprised and truly shocked that the Super Tenere was not a better seller than it is, but they are just sitting at the dealers here in the Southwest! So baffling!

Apache Yamaha in Phoenix and Ride Now Yamaha in Tucson each have 6 or more Super Tenere's on their showroom floors; many more over in Republica de Kalifornia!

https://www.cycletrad...&sort=year:desc Fred W: If you want a Super Tenere, there's a glut of them here in the Southwest; and the dealers are really trying to move them.

I am really surprised and truly shocked that the Super Tenere was not a better seller than it is, but they are just sitting at the dealers here in the Southwest! So baffling!

Apache Yamaha in Phoenix and Ride Now Yamaha in Tucson each have 6 or more Super Tenere's on their showroom floors; many more over in Republica de Kalifornia!
I agree. It seems our UK Cousins have a diff perspective on motorcycling. It's more of a necessity (and thus "what works") as opposed to a kind of toy thing it seems to be here. And of course we have a multitude of the "be seen" type of riders.

It does seem that's going to change... short HOG ;)

Yeah, that is weird. I don't know why the S10 hasn't been more "well received", but admit to not having studied the situation too closely. If I had to only have one bike in my garage it would probably come down to a BMW GS or an S10. And the S10 should win because, let's face it... if I can only have one bike, I'm probably not made of money.

That said, if I could have two (or more) bikes, which coincidentally I can and do, I would rather than my "Adventure" bike was a bit smaller in stature than the S10. Even my Man-strom is a bit on the porky side, and it's a whole lot lighter than an S10.

Maybe that's why the S-10 is failing? Too many of us can afford (and/or prefer) to have multiple bikes?

The local costco here in TX has the same Kawasaki deal, except it's a sport bike on the stand. It struck me as odd as well... odd enough I had to check out the display but not so much that I'm willing to give sales staff my contact info and subject myself to potential solicitor harassment at later dates.

-worldbound4now

The local costco here in TX has the same Kawasaki deal, except it's a sport bike on the stand. It struck me as odd as well... odd enough I had to check out the display but not so much that I'm willing to give sales staff my contact info and subject myself to potential solicitor harassment at later dates.

-worldbound4now
I talked to the tire dept. manager. They're going to be switching the dirt bike for a cruiser in a little bit, and gradually rotate through the whole selection. Turns out that, and the cars they display outside the front door, make money for the store, or his department. He said they got about $8K from dealers for the car displays last year, prob. less for the bikes of course. Since I'm not looking for a Kawasaki, passed on filling out the form myself.

Yeah, that is weird. I don't know why the S10 hasn't been more "well received", but admit to not having studied the situation too closely. If I had to only have one bike in my garage it would probably come down to a BMW GS or an S10. And the S10 should win because, let's face it... if I can only have one bike, I'm probably not made of money.

That said, if I could have two (or more) bikes, which coincidentally I can and do, I would rather than my "Adventure" bike was a bit smaller in stature than the S10. Even my Man-strom is a bit on the porky side, and it's a whole lot lighter than an S10.

Maybe that's why the S-10 is failing? Too many of us can afford (and/or prefer) to have multiple bikes?
V strom just a LITTLE PORKY? :rolleyes: .....wow what cool aid are you drinking?.....& are you going to share? :derisive:

, but it seems to me that the Japanese and American companies who have invested so heavily in the Chopper / Cruiser mystique may be in a for a big let down.
Yo Freddy-boy, lay off the booze and cannabis, it's fogging that pea-sized brain of yours. :tease:

Cruisers outsell our type of motorycle probaboy 20 to 1 in this country, if not more. That's what Americans buy, cruisers and sport bikes. While no doubt, business is down industry-wide, cruisers still sell and will be around for a LONG time. Just be glad other parts of the world like bikes like the FJR so hopefully we will still get them for a while. Kind of scary at times though, I still see brand new 09s and 10s being advertised by dealers.

My question is: Will adventure type bikes just be a fad? I mean, there will always be a market for them, but are we near the 'peak' of the bell curve so to speak? Or will they have some serious market-share staying power?

They have Lexus and Volvos at the mall. INSIDE, like in a store just big enough for 6 cars and one salesman's desk. With baloney like that going on, a motorcycle at Costco surprises you?

You gotta get out more Mike...

They have Lexus and Volvos at the mall. INSIDE, like in a store just big enough for 6 cars and one salesman's desk. With baloney like that going on, a motorcycle at Costco surprises you?

You gotta get out more Mike...
Yeah, but COSTCO is a discounter. People who shop there are frugal as opposed to the typical mall shopper who is looking for features or fashion.

To me it implies that the dealers are willing to sell at smaller margins.

I have walked out of Costco with a lot weirder things I had no intention of buying when I entered:

-20 foot all in one ladder

-3000 piece odds and ends fasteners

-$400 super blender

-two ginormous sun umbrellas

-7 day supply of emergency freeze dried food kit. For 4.

-wagner portable paint sprayer

The list goes on. Somehow a dirt bike seems less weirder.

, but it seems to me that the Japanese and American companies who have invested so heavily in the Chopper / Cruiser mystique may be in a for a big let down.
Yo Freddy-boy, lay off the booze and cannabis, it's fogging that pea-sized brain of yours. :tease:

Cruisers outsell our type of motorycle probaboy 20 to 1 in this country, if not more. That's what Americans buy, cruisers and sport bikes. While no doubt, business is down industry-wide, cruisers still sell and will be around for a LONG time. Just be glad other parts of the world like bikes like the FJR so hopefully we will still get them for a while. Kind of scary at times though, I still see brand new 09s and 10s being advertised by dealers.

My question is: Will adventure type bikes just be a fad? I mean, there will always be a market for them, but are we near the 'peak' of the bell curve so to speak? Or will they have some serious market-share staying power?
I think the Adventure bikes have staying power. It really is the SUV of the biking world. SUV's seem to be hanging around and even spliting into sub groups. I know because I drank the Koolaid and bought a Triumph Tiger 800. It really is a nice bike and gravel is fun not scary. It's expanded my horizons.

Back slightly on track..

Shut the fuck up ya thimble diks! Once an awhile I am able to contribute here :fuck:

Our Local multi line dealership (Owned by a school chum) closed shop this past fall, and "consolidated" to it's newer, shinier dealership 30 miles away.

Yesterdays newspaper brought fourth more bad news.. He's closing it down also.

The fine print also mentioned his Harley dealership shut down a year ago..

But I hear things are looking up fer da "sluggish" economy :lol:

I have walked out of Costco with a lot weirder things I had no intention of buying when I entered:

-20 foot all in one ladder

-3000 piece odds and ends fasteners

-$400 super blender

-two ginormous sun umbrellas

-7 day supply of emergency freeze dried food kit. For 4.

-wagner portable paint sprayer

The list goes on. Somehow a dirt bike seems less weirder.
Do I know that feeling. Going shopping at Costco is like driving around hitting garage sales. You can't go with a shopping list.

...But I hear things are looking up fer da "sluggish" economy :lol:
Yer always looking up if yer laying in a coffin.
You know they sell coffins at Costco.com, right?

Um, did I mention that the Kawasakis they sell are actually called Kirkland motorcycles? Other than that, tho. . . :rolleyes: