• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted Could use a set of Gen 2 wheels...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a spare pair with a set of nearly new Angel gt a spec tires on them. From a 2007. Seems like they would be expensive to ship. But 750 for the pair, plus shipping.

I have a spare 2007 rear wheel, no tire mounted. Been sitting unused for a couple years. I used it for car tires for 7 or 8 yrs. $300 plus actual shipping.

Sorry, no spare front here.

Or some advice about where to get current ones straightened :cry:

Okay, some advice. This from personal experience.

For FJRs from 2001 - 2007 (US models) ..............ANY WHEELS, ABS or not, from 2004 - 2023 will work. That should widen the search possibilities!! Of course, some years have silver wheels, and some have black wheels.

Starting in 2004 (US models), when ABS first became available, until present, all wheels have the shoulder machined on the hub that will accept the toothed ABS pickup ring used from 2004 - 2007. The toothed ABS pickup ring can be pried off the old wheels and pressed onto the new wheels.

Starting in 2008 (USmodels) the wheels also have the lugs for installing the flat magnetic ABS pickup rings, but they still have the machined shoulder that will also accept the earlier toothed pickup rings. Just remove the flat magnetic ABS pickup rings and press on the toothed ABS pickup rings.

Wheels from the 2001 - 2003 models may not have the machined shoulder since those wheels were manufactured before the introduction of the ABS models.

The wheels from the 2004 - 2007 models are NOT forward compatible to the 2008 - 2023 models since those wheels do not have the screw lugs for mounting the flat magnetic ABS rings.

Search back for earlier threads on this or other FJR forums about recommended wheel straightening services.
I know I've seen recommendations before.

dan

Last edited:
I have a spare pair with a set of nearly new Angel gt a spec tires on them. From a 2007. Seems like they would be expensive to ship. But 750 for the pair, plus shipping.
You can see them on the wall. I also run a car tire, so I kept a spare set with MC tire rear for track days with the fjr since they do not believe in car tires;)

Attachments

• IMG_20230617_072139_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230617_072139_HDR.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Okay, some advice. This from personal experience.

For FJRs from 2001 - 2007 (US models) ..............ANY WHEELS, ABS or not, from 2004 - 2023 will work. That should widen the search possibilities!! Of course, some years have silver wheels, and some have black wheels.

Starting in 2004 (US models), when ABS first became available, until present, all wheels have the shoulder machined on the hub that will accept the toothed ABS pickup ring used from 2004 - 2007. The toothed ABS pickup ring can be pried off the old wheels and pressed onto the new wheels.

Starting in 2008 (USmodels) the wheels also have the lugs for installing the flat magnetic ABS pickup rings, but they still have the machined shoulder that will also accept the earlier toothed pickup rings. Just remove the flat magnetic ABS pickup rings and press on the toothed ABS pickup rings.

Wheels from the 2001 - 2003 models may not have the machined shoulder since those wheels were manufactured before the introduction of the ABS models.

The wheels from the 2004 - 2007 models are NOT forward compatible to the 2008 - 2023 models since those wheels do not have the screw lugs for mounting the flat magnetic ABS rings.

Search back for earlier threads on this or other FJR forums about recommended wheel straightening services.
I know I've seen recommendations before.

dan
Great advice. I have a 2004 ABS model (Australian market). I bought a spare rear wheel from a 2006 model to go darkside. Good to know that the old ABS ring fits the later wheel.

Option 2 is that I could remove the tires and sell just the wheels for $500 plus shipping. Since both my bikes use these size tires.

How bad are they?
I looked back at an earlier post of yours and say that you have a 2007.
Wheels from a Gen I ABS, 2006 or 2007 are a direct replacement (might widen your search a bit). 2008 and later are not directly compatible.

Look at this thread, Post #6, in particular...
Don't know if it sold or not but good info on wheel compatibility.

https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/gen-2-yamaha-fjr-1300-wheel-and-tire-180-55-17.180465/#post-1454500
IMG_20230625_100629777.jpg
Thanks to all for this excellent info!
I'll post a picture of the front wheel w/right side dent. There isn't an obvious (to me - and my perceptual abilities are questionable) problem with the left side. The rear wheel has an identical issue. I though a bit of vibration was bad roads out here, not having the suspension properly set-up and/or tires close to needing replacement.

I just got the tires replaced and they discovered the issue that I didn't notice when balancing. And so now I'm OCD aware of every vibration and won't be happy until I get this fixed.

The real problem is that I got the new tires because I'm planning on riding to Tallahassee this Tuesday. I've looked around and there appear to be places that will straighten alloy wheels - one in Raleigh about 90 min away - but I probably won't have time to get it done before leaving. The vibration really isn't too bad and doesn't seem to be a safety issue.

But thanks to all for the help - and information about compatible wheels!

I have seen MUCH worse, but I would want to get them fixed at some point in the not too distant future. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it being an immediate safety issue but only you can decide what risk you are willing to assume for yourself. Keep a close eye on tire pressure...

Out of curiosity, is a dent on both sides of each wheel? Or did someone ham hand a tire change?

When they mounted the new tires any chance they installed metal valves stems? I was thinking a TPMS for your trip might give you a little piece of mind.

The guys who found it while balancing think that because both front and back wheels have similar dents that it was probably a pot hole/curb/other obstruction at speed. They said it was both sides of the rim but I only see a dent on the right side. I think I'll take Oldjeep up on his generous offer, have these originals repaired, and pass them along to the next unfortunate person who finds themselves in a similar position.
Thank you all for the help and insight!