Craigslist/Paypal idiot....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make the deal. After the money is transferred, contact paypal to verify the account is not hacked. Transfer the money out of paypal. Ship the item. ;)
Oh Hell NO...Just because you transfer stolen money out of PP does not mean you can't be held liable for it.

Your pretty sure its a scam, we're pretty sure its a scam. That should be enough to walk away from any deal with that guy.

Open a new email account on Yahoo or whereever.

Start messing with the guy, kinda like fencer did a while back.

When I sold my VStrom a couple years ago, I had two responses that were very similar to yours. Scam all the way...I never replied and didn't receive any more correspondence from the scammers.

Run forest run.......
Fairlaner summed it up nicely!

--G

Make the deal. After the money is transferred, contact paypal to verify the account is not hacked. Transfer the money out of paypal. Ship the item. ;)
Oh Hell NO...Just because you transfer stolen money out of PP does not mean you can't be held liable for it.

Your pretty sure its a scam, we're pretty sure its a scam. That should be enough to walk away from any deal with that guy.
Like I said... Once he transfers the money, contact paypal to ensure the account is not hacked. If it is, you have officially stirred up the shit. Hang him. :assassin:

This was just a PayPal version of the craigslist "Casheir's Check Scam" where you're made to think you have good money (even in person), release the goods, and a week or so later the Bank comes back and debits your account for the fraudulent fund amount because the check was bogus. The only guy that loses is YOU. Scammer gets his shit, Banks get their money, you take it up the backside.

No. You can't be 'pretty sure' about it being a scam. You can be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN.

What I like to do with these is to tell 'em that there's no porblem, but that there is a six week waiting period after the funds are received prior to shipping because of issues with some unscrupulous buyers who spoil the market for honest people like 'him'.

You'll never hear from him again.

No. You can't be 'pretty sure' about it being a scam. You can be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN.

What I like to do with these is to tell 'em that there's no porblem, but that there is a six week waiting period after the funds are received prior to shipping because of issues with some unscrupulous buyers who spoil the market for honest people like 'him'.

You'll never hear from him again.
I like that. I also like cash only, face to face.

A friend of mine was recently selling his HD on CL and got just about the same exact message. The buyer lived in New Jersey (we're in FL), was buying for his son or father - I forget - regardless wanted to pay on PP and then have it shipped. I'm not sure how this works as I'd think a PP would be secure - but the whole thing didn't "smell" right and my friend got a local buyer anyway with cash.

I had not heard of this one before, but it's quite a coincidence that this is the same damn near word for word for the 2nd time in a few weeks now IME at least.

My Sister-In-Law was selling a Sony PSP on ebay almost 4 years ago and had somebody scammed her with an almost identical situation. They did a buy it now on the Auction then contacted her and asked her to ship it to their "Son" in Africa and that they would send extra money to cover the shipping. So they overpaid by $100 and then she shipped it, then they lodged a complaint with Craigslist saying they overpaid and Craigslist refunded them the money, all of it. So yeah, in case it wasn't clear already, its a scam.

This is 100% no doubt a scam. It is a good idea not to even reply to these.

When I was selling my '99 Virago (Oct 20010), I received about 10 such replies: The person always said they worked overseas in the Military or in the foreign service or something else very similar. They ALWAYS wanted me to handle the shipping. They ALWAYS were going to pay extra to cover my efforts ... la di da, la di da! I did not bite nor should you. Here is the possible scenario:

They will probably send a payment ... but PayPal will more than likely be "processing" for a few days;
They will try to get you to ship before the payment is cleared up;
They WILL have a way of cancelling their payment. and you will be left without with your product already shipped, and no maney!
Or PayPal will get scammed and come back to you for payback!
Don't do it! This is a scam!

Rheal

I know there are lots of scams on Craiglist. I am currently selling a camera and got the following message:

Thanks for getting back to me.. Am buying the (Panasonic Camera) for my son as a birthday gift, He's in Africa on a construction contract, am unhealthy to pick it up so i will be paying you through PayPal. Please send me a PayPal invoice or your PayPal identification email for payment. I will provide you my sons shipping information for shipment as soon as the payment is sent. I will be paying you the sum of ($1,100 USD) to cover the cost and shipping to Africa, Shipping will be through USPS Registered or Priority mail. Thanks for your help.

Does this sound legit? I think if I am payed via Paypal I should be fine right? Any experiences of anyone getting hosed like this?

Thanks!

b