Cruise Contol Installed Today...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slapnpop

Rest in Peace our Forum Founder
Reaction score
This morning, I woke up and though "where do I want to ride today?"

Problem was, everywhere I wanted to ride was a good distance away, and my right wrist always gave me problems on long trips. So then I though "Today I will install the audiovox instead of riding all day."

Seemed like a simple enough plan. 14 hours after waking up it's in and seems to be working. I'll test ride it tommorow. The actuall install only took about 6 hours. I spent as long driving to all Autozones in a 60 mile radius to find one, so I ended up riding for 3-4 hours anyway.. :D

The cotter pin trick from www.fjrowners.ws

It seemed to work well. Drilling the throttle tang was the hardest part for sure. Will do a more in-depth post after my test ride.

So after my test ride.....

[SIZE=21pt]CRUISE CONTROL TOTALLY KICKS ASS!!![/SIZE]

Details on my install...

Typical servo mounting under right size panel. I used a cotterpin to capture the ball chain on the throttle tang, and the parallel cable mount from the kit. I installed a lighted rocker main power switch above the hazard light switch. This was $3.00 at the local marina. I used a lowe's closemaid bracket to mount the controls, but I'm still looking for an allenhead bolt to mount this in the extra mirror mount.

I didn't use a vaccum canister. The cruise was a little choppy at 35-40 mph. At 65 it was fine. I don't know if this is a result of not having the canister or not. Others please chime in here.

Total costs:

Autozone- $103.14 (cruise unit and some epoxy to seal the controls)

Marina- $6.50 (master switch and 1/16x1 cotter pins)

Lowes- $2.48 (Closetmaid 6620 braket)

misc- $12.00 (electrical tape, molding tape to mount the controls on the bracket, bolt to mount bracket on handlebars)

Grand total: $124.12

I think this is very reasonable for a cruise control.

I think this is very reasonable as far as most farkles go.

I think the cruise control will do more good for my hand/wrist than any riser could do. With a riser your hand is still require to hold the throttle. With the cruise you can remove your hand from the bar to get good circulation, strech and move it around.

Some notes:

Check all autozones. The first 3 I stopped at said no one would have it. 4th called around and found one still in stock. Autozone is no longer carrying these from what I gather, so get while the gettin's good.

I didn't remove the fuel rail, because I couldn't get the screws out without stripping them. This made it much more difficult to drill the tang, but I was still able to do it.

The closetmaid bracket has changed in design. It will still function, but doesn't look that good. I wanna do a better mount later, but it works for now.

Other things I noticed:

The dual calbe throttle will let you push through the server to close off the throttle easily. I don't fear the cruise pulling the throttle WFO being a problem. I still installed the kill switch anyway.

Your right the cruise control kicks ass!

Here's how I mounted my CC pad

CCpad.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: