Cruise control flashing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kneedragger55

Reaction score
Contact points? .. Cruise control starts flashing after 15min or so. Key off and on resets and gives me another 20min. In the middle of a trip now so will be nice to have soon. Do I need to disassemble left handle bar switch? Tried to clean contact points but seems most are hidden. 

Someone could correct me but might a rear brake lever hanging up contribute to this?  A good soaking with WD40 until you get home to take it apart for a good cleaning and greasing couldn't hurt in any case.

BigOgre is probably right, sounds like rear brake pedal sticking. Well known symptom. As he says, a squirt of WD40 on the lever pivot should free it, then lubricate it properly when back at home.

Thanks guys. Did a WD lube this morning at the rear brake pedal pivot and front switch. Rear pedal wasn't really hanging up and dint feel gummy but WD can't hurt. Haven't run the bike for long enough to see if its better.  where is the rear switch? I can here it click when I push either lever but don't see anything connected to the rear master cylinder. 

Someone could correct me but might a rear brake lever hanging up contribute to this?  A good soaking with WD40 until you get home to take it apart for a good cleaning and greasing couldn't hurt in any case.
It can. A couple of months ago mine started acting up frequently, like every other ride. I noticed the rear brake lever was sticking. Lubed it up and no problem since.

Thanks again y'all. Got my service manual on Dropbox so was able to figure out the rear brake switch activates via spring... Duh. Just couldn't see it behind the rear set. Just ran bike for 20min and no issues. Seems like the tiny nub on the front brake switch was sticking. Will lube the rear once it cools down and hopefully all is well. Got a nice route planned for tomorrow and CC will def save me on the long straight stretches. My wrist missed it on the way in. 

When I experienced the flashing cruise control light I tried cleaning/lubing front and rear controls to insure full travel. When that didn't work I took it into the dealership and they replaced the front brake light switch. Problem solved. YMMV

When I experienced the flashing cruise control light I tried cleaning/lubing front and rear controls to insure full travel. When that didn't work I took it into the dealership and they replaced the front brake light switch. Problem solved. YMMV
Sgoat,

What was the cost for that service, and did you sell your 14 and replace with R1200 RS?

Thanks,

I

Sgoat,

What was the cost for that service, and did you sell your 14 and replace with R1200 RS?

Thanks,
I had purchased the Y.E.S. extended warranty so it cost me nothing. I did sell my 14" FJR last December and purchased a lightly used 2016 RS.