Cycle Gear is buying RevZilla...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disturbing news...Revzilla's customer service really is unequaled, as-is their selection. Over the weekend, I spent a fair bit of time perusing their extensive Youtube video collection. I hope this takeover doesn't spell the end of all that.

That said, the times I've visited Cycle Gear, the staff's always been nice and helpful. I've never bought their house-branded gear, but when I needed a new Shoei a few years back, they bent over backwards to give me a great price. The closest CG to me is 45 minutes away in Raleigh...I've got Ron Ayers 45 minutes away in the other direction (without city traffic)...CG sees me only once or twice a year. ;)

No doubt Cycle Gear sells lots of cheap Chinese stuff- but sometimes that's just fine. Other times you might want top quality - top price gear. Yeah their stores are crowded and usually not in top flight shopping areas- but that helps to keep prices down. I have been in several of their stores across the country and always found the staff to be friendly and helpful- not necessarily experts, but willing to help.

They often have far better hours than traditional shops, and they certainly do have selection on most things. I try to support the local guys too- but I don't categorically rule out Cycle Gear because they are not the greatest.

They have done a lot of things right and survived and grown through tough times- so it's not likely that they will suddenly get stupid . . . .

No doubt Cycle Gear Walmart sells lots of cheap Chinese stuff- but sometimes that's just fine. Other times you might want top quality - top price gear. Yeah their stores are crowded and usually not in top flight shopping areas- but that helps to keep prices down. I have been in several of their stores across the country and always found the staff to be friendly and helpful- not necessarily experts, but willing to help.
They often have far better hours than traditional shops, and they certainly do have selection on most things. I try to support the local guys too- but I don't categorically rule out Cycle Gear Walmart because they are not the greatest.

They have done a lot of things right and survived and grown through tough times- so it's not likely that they will suddenly get stupid . . . .

If you substitute "Walmart" for "Cycle Gear" everything said works out about the same. Just sayin'...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Cycle Gear 1/4 mile from my house. Many years ago (maybe 15 years?) I bought some really fine stuff from Cycle Gear. Most of it was European gear. In fact I still wear one of the jackets when dirt biking.

Things went downhill ever since their Bilt brand started filling the shelves.

I still visit their store on occasion and I appreciate their liberal return policy and good customer service. As was stated previously, they're not always experts, but they are always willing.

Yeah, I don't think this was nothing. More like a huge metric ton of cash infusion for Anthony and his 2 Philly co-founders.

And you know what? I say more power to 'em. Competent merchants like them, with the clear vision and technical knowledge to pull it off in the techno rich environment we live and buy in today, are rare. But, these guys did it, and I for one am happy that they hit pay dirt.

I'm hopeful they can retain their identity going forward, and who knows... maybe what they have achieved will carry over into Cycle Gear's comparatively limp prior persona and performance. What a big win that would be for the average Joe 'cycle consumer to have a RevZilla in every city that CG is now.

Their store is on the "must see" locations when I hit the northeast this summer.

Got to agree with FredW on this: I hope that they inject some life into the Cycle Gear stores. How cool would it be to go into the store, try on a few things, then buy it at the store or order it online for delivery to your house? It's like little Revilla showrooms all over the country -- or, in reverse -- Cycle Gear has access to anything you want and will deliver it for free.

The Revzilla vision and courage started something that's become a major biker influence in only eight years. Mr. Childs would be an idiot if he tried to stomp that out of 'em.

Cool. It isn't nearly as Armageddon like as the initial impression made it seem. Those guys are cashing in...Good for them!!

This was the best sentence in that whole letter:

If we can’t continue to make RevZilla better while keeping our promises, you should shop somewhere else.

That takes balls. I respect the shit out of it.

Honestly after reading that, I'm a little bummed I thought the deal meant the dilution of Revzilla. Those guys built a great business, I/we should have looked at it like: "maybe now Cycle Gear will finally get their shit together". Not everything is doomsday... I need to not watch the news so much.

Shame on me for thinking the worst and best of luck to some real game changers...

Great news from the CEOs at RevZilla.

It appears to be a joint venture and both companies maintain some degree of autonomy. Good luck to Anthony and his two co-conspirators. I think they are the better business model, but who am I to judge?

Love Revzilla. Good pricing and excellent customer service. There gear reviews are unbiased and detailed. They really seem to cater to the enthusiast. Have to say this doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about being acquired.

Read another article where Revzilla said this was a partnership. And that nothing would change. But now reading this article makes me wonder how vested Anthony is about being acquired. Whatever else they do he is really the face of Revzilla and he's become very good at what he does.

Dont want to knock CG because I've never bought gear from them. People do seem to like them. There is one about 25 minutes away from me.

Revzilla sets the standard for taking care of the customer. As I posted long ago, they shipped a whole additional assembly overnight because the manufacturer, not zilla, shipped a rack without all the fasteners. (I won't name the manufacturer, but it starts with G and ends with ivi). They didn't want to discuss the return of the original shipment until I received a full box, and dug into it to make sure it had all the parts it was supposed to. Only then were they interested in discussing and arranging for return shipment of the shorted assembly. I don't always buy from Revzilla, but when I do, I do so without any concern for fit, condition, or functionality, because they'll make it right. I'll pay more than I'd pay for the same exact part on another mainstream site due to their service record with me. That's not to say I don't buy me some cheap stuff from Cycle Gear from time to time. With Revzilla, reasonable price and good service are the driver. With Cycle Gear, it's lowest price as the only driver. A place for both, separately.

First off I dont understand all the animosity toward Cycle Gear, honestly without them a lot of riders desiring to suit up and try to be safe would be without options as Cycle Gear is probably the only store that can suit up a new rider from head to toe for such a price. Further more they have never implied they were a premium retailer of elite or only top tier equipment. I believe if the merging of these two companies is done right it will be awesome, I chose to believe a more positive outcome and hope cycle gear learns from Revzilla and makes their stores better and Revzilla gets even better accessibility to the markets with brick and mortar store access in addition to its online presence. Lastly its the failure of our motorcycle dealers as a whole to properly stock products at competitive prices and so making a fertile ground for such a retail chain as cycle gear to prosper. I remember not that long ago working in a motorcycle dealership when I was a young lad lol , we had rows of helmets jackets and other stuff. Our retail area was 1/4 of our showroom floor and it was a full spread from the budget stuff to the good stuff. Most dealers dont do it any more and if they do the mark up is high. I agree Revzilla offers great service but I have also needed and used Cycle Gears customer service on two occasions and both times they were a very good experience.

I have the same hopes and expectations of Walter and LKLD.

The Cycle Gear retail store lets you walk in and touch stuff, try it on, and check for color-matching. Add the on-line power of Revzilla, and riders now have access to a MUCH larger inventory than could ever be stocked in a brick-and-mortar store.