Cycle News is Done

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BwanaDik

Reaction score
I think they may have done this to themselves. I haven't read it for years but it was my favorite several years ago.

Edit: Dumb comment removed

Clicky

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite was Cycle magazine...circa 1974-79.

Mine too. I had a couple of copies confiscated in Jr. High:)
Mine too. Can't find it now, but for the longest time, I had the 1979 issue with the comparison of the big FOUR's liter+ offerings that year. Suzuki GS1000EC, Yamaha XS1100, Honda CBX 1000, Kwak KZ 1000. Bought my first new bike -- a '78 GS1000EC new in box as a result of the research that issue contributed to, and rode it for many satisfying years. 'Twas a great moto-rag back in the day.

When I was racing MX on a weekly basis, I just loved to see my name in the 'Race Results' section and maybe mentioned in the text too. Paul has a good point about all the motorbiking memorabilia that needs be preserved.

Many newspapers and magazines are suffering right now. Don't know if the poor economy or the internet causing this. Perhaps both. Its kind of sad to see some motorcycle magazines and newspapers face extinction. Cycle news was so popular when I was a kid and that seems like so long ago. Icons are supposed to live forever!

Well, checked their website, page updated at 10:30pm, I guess the internet version is still alive??????

No mention of paper/mag closure...as I could find.....separate entity???

My favorite was Cycle magazine...circa 1974-79.

Mine too. I had a couple of copies confiscated in Jr. High:)
Mine too. Can't find it now, but for the longest time, I had the 1979 issue with the comparison of the big FOUR's liter+ offerings that year. Suzuki GS1000EC, Yamaha XS1100, Honda CBX 1000, Kwak KZ 1000. Bought my first new bike -- a '78 GS1000EC new in box as a result of the research that issue contributed to, and rode it for many satisfying years. 'Twas a great moto-rag back in the day.
Remember that exact issue. :D

I also remember the long distance Tourers issue in August 1973 or 1974 that included a BMW R90/6, a Kawa Z1B?, the new Honda Goldwing, a Suzuki sumpin or other (RE-5 Rotary?), HD Sportster...and maybe one other bike (Moto Guzzi??)

This is the issue that got me to dreaming in high school about cross country mcy touring. I dreamed of owning the R90/6 and started saving money from my part time job to that end. It was $4000 at the time. I didn't end up getting THAT bike...but I did get a bike...and did end up touring across the country eventually.

Funny what a well written bike magazine can do...especially if it has pretty pictures, too.

Should I reinstate my subscription to Motorcycle Consumer News just to help make sure that they survive?

43 years of receiving Cycle News each week will leave a sad hole in my life. When you get old just the longevity of some relationships mean a lot. Cycle News covered a lot of areas of motorcycling such as flat track that do not receive much coverage in other places and I also liked a lot of the behind the scenes coverage. A lot of journalism existed were many other rags seem to be rehashed press releases.

Do any of you remember a fellow named Leo Potvin that made a living selling CN at the race tracks? Wonder were he is now as he was quite a character and have not seen or heard from him since the '70s.

It is a bit surprising to me how bad I feel about the passing of Cycle News.

I am getting more CHANGE than I can stand.