Cycle port ultra ordered

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsozz

Reaction score
I just ordered a pair of Motoport ultra 2 mesh kevlar pants and was wondering if any of you might have comments about what to expect and how to break in the new pants.

They were ordered with full quad armor and lumbar quad armor.

Gsozz

Last edited by a moderator:
You can send them to me. I'll break them in for you. Might take a couple years, though.

Seriously though, I know nothing about them, but Cycleport gear is on my wish list. Report back in after you've had them for a while to let others know how you like 'em.

I've had mine for right at a year and they are still stiff as hell. Not complaining, but the material just doesn't seem to "break-in" like other gear I've had. I have no doubt about the level of protection though. It's not uncomfortable, just stiff.

I wonder what people mean by Motoport mesh kevlar stuff feeling "stiff"? I never felt the pants were stiff (had mine since Oct). The fabric is course, of course, but not stiff. The stretch kevlar stuff is different, I could see how the new material would stretch out a bit after use.

The fabric has caused a bit of "chafing" on the left side plastic below the seat of my FJR (I use a Russell seat), cause by the fabric rubbing against the plastic while riding. I would probably consider putting some tape or similar material. 3M makes some easily configurable tape.

I've had mine for right at a year and they are still stiff as hell. Not complaining, but the material just doesn't seem to "break-in" like other gear I've had. I have no doubt about the level of protection though. It's not uncomfortable, just stiff.

I was told to put them in the dryer without the armor and without heat so that they could break in by tumbeling.

I did find that if you have to take a dump the pants need to come off.
"As Johnny ponders the day's ride, he realizes two things...

1 - it was a great day to ride

2 - in addition to being bullet proof, kevlar is turd proof - no matter how much oompf he mustered, the pants remained intact

Mulling over why the cop suddenly backed off while pacing him at 105, he now understands..."

Tune in next week when Johnny tries taking a leak with SuperGlue on his fingers... (inspired by the story of Herculiner on Hootus)

No stiffness problems here. I've had them for 3 years, washed several times, and haven't noticed any difference. They were quite comfortable from day one.

No crash tests yet, so I can't comment on their effectiveness. Otherwise, I'm pleased. ;)

The armor is the thing that has to break in more than the pants. The armor starts out trying to unfold itself flat but after a a few days of riding it will contour to you legs more. Like I said mine are really comfy and I wear them all day with just shorts or long underwear underneath.

The pants being mesh will allow a turd through but it comes out like spaghetti from the playdough fun factory. :eek:

The stiffness of the kevlar mesh blend Wayne at Cycleport uses is well documented and recognized. Wayne told me to take the armor out of my pants and put them in the dryer on no heat. He also recommended putting clean shoes and/or tennis balls in with the dryer. I put three tennis balls in and let 'er rip.

After two two-hour long no-heat cycles it made a huge difference.

I really liked my mesh pants, unfortunately I lost too much weight and can't wear them any more. They are very durable.

Beware in that they are also abrasive and rubbed some of the paint off my Yamaha FZ6 and BMW R1150R.