"Cycle World" Writer Meeting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
Glenn at Clearwater Lights told me he had an installation scheduled today for this fellow who is writing an article for Cycle World, so I went out there to meet him. Alan Rider--great name, huh?--is a freelance writer who has written for Cycle World and other m/c mags, as well as driving, testing and writing about various cars. I figured he'd be a very interesting guy to meet.

He was out there having a pair of the big "Krista" LEDs installed on a '10 AE that he's had on loan from Yamaha since the beginning of June and will keep through about September. Kind of a sweet deal. In late August he'll be doing the "MERA" 10 'n 10 Rally that begins and ends in Salt Lake City (ON the FJR). I never knew anything about these super-ironbutt rallies till I heard Dean Tanji's presentation at WFO about the 2009 Iron Butt Rally and on his new DVD (released today, I think), "Hard Miles 2." Man, I've got nothing but respect for these guys who string 10 or 11 thousand-mile days together in a row. Well, that and pity. Why would you do that to yourself? But that's another question.

A good guy, Alan. I was glad I got the chance to meet him. He'll write about the rally, and the AE, I'm sure, and I'd expect some mention of the Kristas as well. He will also do a blog concerning his preparations for the August 26 rally that will begin in a week or so on the CycleWorld.com website. He said he'd PM me with a link or something to let me know when that starts (he's been lurking on the forum--I told him he'd have to sign up), as well as a heads up on the article that will be especially interesting to the FJR world. I'll pass that info along when I get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glenn at Clearwater Lights told me he had an installation scheduled today for this fellow who is writing an article for Cycle World, so I went out there to meet him. Alan Rider--great name, huh?--is a freelance writer who has written for Cycle World and other m/c mags, as well as driving, testing and writing about various cars. I figured he'd be a very interesting guy to meet.
He was out there having a pair of the big "Krista" LEDs installed on a '10 AE that he's had on loan from Yamaha since the beginning of June and will keep through about September. Kind of a sweet deal. In late August he'll be doing the "MERA" 10 'n 10 Rally that begins and ends in Salt Lake City. I never knew anything about these super-ironbutt rallies till I heard Dean Tanji's presentation at WFO about the 2009 Iron Butt Rally and on his new DVD (released today, I think), "Hard Miles 2." Man, I've got nothing but respect for these guys who string 10 or 11 thousand-mile days together in a row. Well, that and pity. Why would you do that to yourself? But that's another question.

A good guy, Alan. I was glad I got the chance to meet him. He'll write about the rally, and the AE, I'm sure, and I'd expect some mention of the Kristas as well. He will also do a blog concerning his preparations for the August 26 rally that will begin in a week or so on the CycleWorld.com website. He said he'd PM me with a link or something to let me know when that starts (he's been lurking on the forum--I told him he'd have to sign up), as well as a heads up on the article that will be especially interesting to the FJR world. I'll pass that info along when I get it.

that sounds like a great experience . . .

looking forward to his review/blog!

Latest posts