Dale Walker Holeshot Full System

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary442

Reaction score
OK...just installed the full Dale Walker system this weekend......just need to put the plastic back on...I already had the Holeshot cans and just added the header. I have a Power Commander and have been using the map for the holeshots and K and N air filter only but now probably need to use the map for the full system. Dale tried to send the map to me but I can't download it for some reason...have an email into him...but in the meantime for those who have this system, are you running a standard Yamaha air filter as recommended or ? and are you running the dale walker supplied map ? any other help would be appreciated...thanks

My $.05 worth.........

Adding a K&N air filter does nothing to change the flow characteristics of the system. I was told this by a Dynojet Tech who had dyno'd many a modern bike with and without the K&N. He said that in almost all modern bikes, the airbox is engineered to a degree that the air filter no longer handicaps air flow.

Just adding slip-ons to the FJR doesn't change airflow characteristics all that much, if at all. With the catalytic converters in the system, THEY are where the restrictions are. So running stock mapping, or a "slip-on" only map will be fine, if not ideal.

Changing the header to an aftermarket cat-less system like the Muzzy or Holeshot DOES makes a significant change in airflow characteristics that WILL require a map designed for the system.

So, I personally wouldn't worry about the K&N vs. stock air filter too much. But I would most definitely run a map that has been designed for a cat-less system. In your case, you want to run Dale's map, a map another FJR owner with Dales header had custom made, or perhaps the map for the Muzzy full system, but that would be a big stretch. I personally would NOT run a slip-on only map with the full system.

What makes your $.02 worth $.05? :p Mine's only worth $.01, and that's Canadian. Gary, did you run the bike yet? Just curious what kind of a difference it makes.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK...just installed the full Dale Walker system this weekend......just need to put the plastic back on...I already had the Holeshot cans and just added the header. I have a Power Commander and have been using the map for the holeshots and K and N air filter only but now probably need to use the map for the full system. Dale tried to send the map to me but I can't download it for some reason...have an email into him...but in the meantime for those who have this system, are you running a standard Yamaha air filter as recommended or ? and are you running the dale walker supplied map ? any other help would be appreciated...thanks

I'm running the full system, a standard air filter and Dale's map (available for download on the Powercommander website too). I have a new K&N that I haven't installed yet. If or when I do, I'll STILL use Dale's map.

I have only just fired it up in the garage...will download the map this weekend and ride it..will report back

"speaking" with Dale at the moment (via email) about a set of 'slip-ons' (polished) for my 07. :yahoo:

Any one have any -ive feedback on these? ie Fitting, performance issues (not expecting any...I know there is no huge change in HP).

Are they easy to clean/maintain? I have heard/watched the video clips from Dale's website. Is that indicative of the actual sound? Are they louder, crisper etc?

I'm running the full system, a standard air filter and Dale's map (available for download on the Powercommander website too). I have a new K&N that I haven't installed yet. If or when I do, I'll STILL use Dale's map.

I have the full holeshot system, I had a custom map done on the dyno at OC motorsorts at the time I ran a stock filter and have since switched to a K&N and it is still good.

I tried Dales map first but this one is much better.

This system is very loud though, if i had to do it again (and i might) I would use different mufflers.

Richard

"speaking" with Dale at the moment (via email) about a set of 'slip-ons' (polished) for my 07. :yahoo:
Any one have any -ive feedback on these? ie Fitting, performance issues (not expecting any...I know there is no huge change in HP).

Are they easy to clean/maintain? I have heard/watched the video clips from Dale's website. Is that indicative of the actual sound? Are they louder, crisper etc?
They are nice and quiet at idle but very loud at WOT (at least with the headers) and are very easy to look after.

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
Installation is finished and just went for a ride.....have full holeshot header and slipons plus already had Power Commander module, used new stock airfilter as recommended by Dale Walker and downloaded his software for this setup.. So here's the deal,,,,,a little louder than stock, lost about 10 lbs overall including the original mufflers. The sound is very different , I believe, because there is no crossover pipe...almost sounds Ducati twin -like. Very smooth throttle response but does seem to be a hair down on torque...could be my imagination...more time on the road will tell..overall would do it again...should also be cooler running without the cats..BTW, the fit and finish was totally first class. Nice system.

May want to try the Muzzy software for their 4 into 1 ....anyone know where I can get this ?

I have the full system with the K & N and had a custom map done at Don's dyno in Modesto. I'm extremely happy with all aspects of the installation and would definately do it again. I have put 5500 miles on the '05 with the system and it looks and sounds just like it did on installation day. I listen to mp3 through Starcom in my rx7 Arai and the exhaust harmoniously.

I have the full holeshot system, I had a custom map done on the dyno at OC motorsorts at the time I ran a stock filter and have since switched to a K&N and it is still good.I tried Dales map first but this one is much better.

This system is very loud though, if i had to do it again (and i might) I would use different mufflers.
Richard,

I'm considering the holeshot headers with the stock mufflers on my '04 FJR, as I just want to reduce the heat by removing the cat, but don't want the bike to get too loud.

Did you notice a heat reduction with Dale's headers? Have you found a suitable muffler to use instead?

Regards,

Bob