Dash change to cure 17mpg glitch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Bob

Bilge pump. A novel idea.
Reaction score
Well I had my Dealer switch out the instrument panel today. No scratches that are visible and all features work as advertised but of course the section just below the speedo doesn't quite fit like it once did. So it looks like I'll learn about panel removal just a little sooner than I had envisioned. I only had 750 miles on the bike so it seemed like the right thing to do at the time. Bought it two weeks ago yesterday. They had the bike all day so I don't know how long it actually took to complete the fix. I'm hoping they won't see the bike again until I need new skins.

Since I just took delivery on my FJR, I have a question. As I understand it, this affected only VIN's through 1400. Mine is 1606. Am I clear?

Since I just took delivery on my FJR, I have a question. As I understand it, this affected only VIN's through 1400. Mine is 1606. Am I clear?

Not sure of the VIN #s but does the LCD on your bike read 17mpg when the instant milege feature is selected? If not, then you're clear. Check it on your next ride.

I would be interested to know if your speedometer still shows a 4 to 5 mph error (high) when checked against a GPS. It would be nice if they not only fixed the 17mpg problem but also fixed the speedo error as well, but that is probably just wishfull thinking.

Personally, I think Yamaha should buy all the owners of a bike with the 17mpg error a new motorcycle (and still let them keep the original). There are only about 100 of them anyway. It only seems fair after what they did for the R1 owners over the Tach issue. :p

I would be interested to know if your speedometer still shows a 4 to 5 mph error (high) when checked against a GPS. It would be nice if they not only fixed the 17mpg problem but also fixed the speedo error as well, but that is probably just wishfull thinking.

The error seems common with Jap bikes. My W650 has the same thing. Changing the rear tire profile reduced the error and adding a tooth to the primary sprocket pretty much set it dead on.

Personally, I think Yamaha should buy all the owners of a bike with the 17mpg error a new motorcycle (and still let them keep the original). There are only about 100 of them anyway. It only seems fair after what they did for the R1 owners over the Tach issue. :p
What did they do for the tach issue?

They allowed anyone with a tach that read 17.5K (redline) to turn them in and get all of their money back, no questions asked if they didn't like it.

They allowed anyone with a tach that read 17.5K (redline) to turn them in and get all of their money back, no questions asked if they didn't like it.
Get there money back for the bike? Nice!

I had it done and also had new tires (Pilot Roads) put on. I can't tell you if they compensate for each other, but the speedo error is just about exactly the same as it was before the new guages and new tires. --

so if they did anything to the guages --- by putting on Pilot Roads - I must have canceled it out....

or maybe the didn't try to fix the speedo error

The speedo error is a designed-in feature. The odo error is likely much smaller. Same input drives both.

Yamaha was using the high redline of the R6 as a marketing feature. They got burned when it was disclosed that the tach was very optimistic. False advertising.

Photo of dash change. It made the clock easier to read, too.

shelf.jpg