Datel Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well today on the way to service I see steady 14.14. Turn on the LED Moto Lights and a steady 14.06.

ionbeam I will do as you suggest as soon as I get a break in the weather.

After seeing this result with just fussing with the R/R connectors, I am anxious to get to the next connection, and cleaning it.

Also thank you for letting me know the 14.74 I was seeing is good.

As far as me buying a Fluke, forget it. I used a special one to test Fiber and it was a 20,000 bill to the company I worked for.

I do not think it is a cheap meter thing, but rather my inexperience, and at this point the rest of the connections in line.

I have done nothing but cleaned the R/R connectors and went from 13.98 to 14.14 on the Datel.

Will post more as I move along.

...I have done nothing but cleaned the R/R connectors and went from 13.98 to 14.14 on the Datel.
I'll have to remember this if I need to get more volts for those electrical thingies like heated gear, etc. Thanks LAF!
Not sure if that is a tongue in cheek comment or not. But I would love to see if others that said they have had the experience with the Datel reading low as I have, if cleaning the R/R connectors give them the results I am seeing.

It is me using heated clothing here in PA that made me want to install the Datel. I would say ignorance is bliss but I am glad I am on this adventure.

With two 50W Moto Light Bulbs, Jacket Liner, Pants Liner, and at times heated gloves I wanted to know what I was doing to my battery and charging system.

With ionbeam helping I will sort this out and as I said I am anxious to get to the next connection point for cleaning and checking and measuring voltage there.

I am not saying cleaning those plugs at the R/R plugs are going to give everyone what I got but as I said mine were a snotty looking dielectric grease packed mess. At least the silicone compound I put in was thick and went in after the ACF-50 dried for a good while.

Still working on this and will continue to post as I find more out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait....what???

Whose tongue is in Wheaties' cheek???
Please spell aesthetic for me and use it properly in a sentence, then do the same with filter for me!

On topic, in regards to your question: Probably HotRodZilla's tongue! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Wait....what???

Whose tongue is in Wheaties' cheek???
Please spell aesthetic for me and use it properly in a sentence, then do the same with filter for me!

On topic, in regards to your question: Probably HotRodZilla's tongue! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!
Why do I get blamed for this type of shit? And what does this have to do with LAF's electrical cluster fuck??

I dunno, but if the battery started to get fully charged vs drawing more current initially from a partially discharged state a .16V change might be kinda normal.

Better is the enemy of the good sometimes. ;)

I dunno, but if the battery started to get fully charged vs drawing more current initially from a partially discharged state a .16V change might be kinda normal.

WTF over? :huh: :unsure: :blink:

Don

Ziggy, with your kind permission can I please use your statement above; I have no idea what it means, but I want to use it on Fairlaner - 'R' at the very next opportunity!

Don
The terminal voltage on a battery rises as it approaches a fully charged state and draws less current from the source. I'm thinking that the .16V improvement might be partially due to this effect.

I see at least .1-.2V drop when the engine gets hot on my bike all the time.

It's picking flyshit outta pepper, IMO

Ziggy, with your kind permission can I please use your statement above; I have no idea what it means, but I want to use it on Fairlaner - 'R' at the very next opportunity!
Sure, be my guest!I guess a loose translation could be something to the effect of:

Ya phuk around, Ya phuk around, Ya phuk around, Ya get phukked up. ;)

Don
The terminal voltage on a battery rises as it approaches a fully charged state and draws less current from the source. I'm thinking that the .16V improvement might be partially due to this effect.

I see at least .1-.2V drop when the engine gets hot on my bike all the time.

It's picking flyshit outta pepper, IMO

Sure, be my guest!I guess a loose translation could be something to the effect of:

Ya phuk around, Ya phuk around, Ya phuk around, Ya get phukked up. ;)
Not sure how to put this, but I am not phucking around. Just trying to find out if what I have is right.

For a fully charged battery to only show 13.89 running with nothing else on extra, on the Datel, did and does not seem right. Now if as you said it was a weak battery or not just charged I could believe you.

The only thing done was cleaning of those connectors and it is up and reading closer to what I expect. However I will continue on to the next connection and with ionbeam helping I will know for sure, or at least more then just guessing or saying it is so because I am phucking with it.

Sorry just dont buy into it without proofing it out.

You know, opinions and ass holes, and all that sorta thing.

"but showing 14.18 on the Datel at the battery?"

What happened to that number?
Post 46

And it was only while at a high idle, it then dropped. Also was the first time I had seen that number on the Datel and was after the plug had been lightly cleaned with ACF-50.

What I am seeing now 14.16 is with everything off and I like that number and would be close enough. However I never saw that steady 14.16 until I really cleaned the connectors, packed them with silicone compound, and snapped them back together.

Now since the next point is one that is "known" to cause a problem dirty and or loose, that will be the real test. If it comes up any more than 14.16 then it would seem the connections are a point of cleaning and protecting.

Hell that R/R could catch some real hell from just where it is mounted.

Again if 14.16 is what it is, then I am fine with that. But I do want to get to the next connection, and I do want to test for what it should be, and then I will at least know.

More important to me is I have learned a great deal, and I at least will have a clue as to what does what on my charging system.

"it was only while at a high idle, it then dropped."

It will, the alt only puts out its rated output at highway speeds.

The output at idle is barely enough to power the bike & charge the battery too.