Datel readings on a first Gen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drjfjr

Reaction score
I have been going through batteries in the last year and installed a Datel volt meter since all measurements are decent when I check the voltages in my driveway. 2 weeks ago I thought I saw the reading in my driveway drop to 12.2 volts @ 5k after it warmed up. I could not repeat that issue so I checked the stator voltage unhooked and measured resistance as best as I could(meter would not measure in hundredths of ohms at that level plus it was 40 degrees Fahrenheit). I Could not find any issues by using the service manual except slightly low output voltage from the regulator.I ordered an electrosport stator and installed it and a Datel meter to watch things. The electrosport was running about 2 tenths of a volt higher than my stock stator in my driveway.

My readings when I first start the bike will hit 14.1 volts @ 4k-5k. After it warms up it runs about 13.6 to 13.7 volts @4k-5k rpm. Since I can now monitor it while riding after about 10 minutes when idling at a stop light I am running 12.8 volts and then it never goes above 13.5 or so volts after that. I am starting to suspect that my regulator is starting to fail. I have not had a chance to take a long ride yet will not be able to for a couple of weeks. I am just commuting on it currently.

What are the readings some of you with a datel meter on a gen 1 getting?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, you got problems. Since you changed stators, I would say the regulator is a prime suspect. Hopefully ionbeam will come along and tell you how to properly test everything.

My Gen I running no major accessories other than a GPS reads between 14.0-14.1 when cold and 13.9-14.0 when warmed up. And that is even at idle speeds.

Mine runs pretty consistently at 14.2 just about all the time the engine's running. The only exception I've noted was 2 miles of stop and go @ about 85 degrees at Daytona last weekend. With the fans running and the engine idling a great deal, she dropped to the low 13's and even the high 12's after awhile. I kicked it up to a 2300 idle with the throttle lock and that cured the problem.

Anyway, keep us posted on your progress.

Gary

darksider #44

An update- I installed a new regulator. When running 3.5k on a tour this past week I was able to occasionally hit 14.4 volts. Normal was 13.7 with headlight brights on. Still dropped to 12.2 to 12.6 on idle with turnsignals on. My next step is to check wires from rectifier to battery. I am starting to wonder if the magnets for the starter are weak. At least with the Datel I can monitor and adjust my wattage use as I ride to ensure starting. I find if I run with low beams and and hold at about 2k at stop lights on short trips I do ok with battery charge. I do not believe the Shorai battery has anything to do with my electrical charging issues. I was hoping the middle stator to rectifier connection being loose on my stock setup was the issue. With new stator and rectifier I have seen an improvement in all rpm ranges. I saw this with just the stator and also another slight increase with the rectifier.

I have a long trip coming up next week and probably will not make any changes till I get back. I will keep you informed for others benefits.