Day Ride - Midlothian Ridge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bungie

FrostBack #2 - IBA # 44620
Reaction score
The weather dudes are calling for heavy rains tomorrow yet again. But none today. This can only mean one thing. Day ride!

I bumped into my buddy Paul with his brand new Vmax (#45). We shot the shit for a bit trying to decide where to go. We suggested the usual destinations and then I remembered I always wanted to see Midlothian Ridge near Burkes Falls (North of Huntsville). About a 2.5hr ride each way. TicketyBoo we were off.

Man, Vmax's have NO RANGE! But their brutally fast in between! Paul was good for about 175km before meltdown, 200 to empty. Thats like 100-130 miles for those of you to the south. Problem, it only takes premium. Ever try to buy premium gas in Burnt Scrotum Ontario?! It took 3 tries to find it. Paul dumped in a splash of the decaf stuff just to make sure he wouldn't run out of gas trying to find the espresso.

We pulled into Burkes Falls, grabbed some lunch, then went in search of Midlothian Ridge. I only knew it was Midlothian Rd. I figured it shouldn't be to hard to find. Sure enough, I was greeted with buddy here waving me down:

IMG_0388.jpg

I know! WTF!

Midlothian Ridge is a open air art gallery in the middle of the bush. The whole thing is done by a retired high school teacher. I don't know what those kids did to him, but I'm guessing this is better than donning a clown suit and climbing a tower with a high powered rifle!

IMG_0361.jpg

The grounds cover about 40 acres and are criss-crossed with paths. The actual 'house', more like castle, has a fortress like fence around it with gargoyles

"See no Evil"

IMG_0406.jpg

"Speak no Evil"

IMG_0409.jpg

"Hear no Evil"

IMG_0410.jpg

A castle has turrets right! How about a two headed dragon? The other turrets have a two sided head, and another has a bathtub on the top (wait... WHAT?!)

IMG_0354.jpg

We wondered around cracking jokes about where the next Rob Zombie movie should be filmed when we spy down a trail...

IMG_0364.jpg

WHAT. THE. FACK!

IMG_0367.jpg

It's 'ScreamHenge!'

Just to give you an idea of the size:

IMG_0374.jpg

We wondered around some more and found the horses

IMG_0381.jpg

Me posing at the main entrance

IMG_0404.jpg

Just as were getting ready to leave we hear this loud primal screaming and grunting.. we go investigate...

IMG_0413.jpg

Their shooting a video with a bunch of guys dressed up like the Gieco Neanderthal. Okay, now this is just getting weird...

I snap one last pic of Paul's Vmax with the windscreen Colin ordered for him from Japan (thanks Colin!)

IMG_0412.jpg

We beelined it home and hit rain about 50 miles from home, natch. Wow, I love my FJR. Raise the screen, tuck my legs in close behind the fairing and when I got home, my pants were still dry! Amazing!

If your interested in about the artist, and to see pics inside the house, including a DUNGEON!!

What a waaaayy kewel off-beat destination. Well done!

Bounce has found and posted pictures of some interesting places like that in Texas. I suppose every region has something "different". Thanks for sharing from your little corner of the world.

Great pics! The weather is a sure hit and miss. We have to hook up for a ride one day.
Count on it JT. I was in Elliot Lake a couple of weeks back for the drags at the airport. I usually do a fall colour ride up there - Deer Trail and then up 129 to Aubrey Falls. Fire me off your email addy and I'll contact you and see if your available.

So as I looked at these unusual Cement shapes I knew I had to see them myself. So my son's GF and I made it a day ride.

First we stopped at Brians cottage to see if he was wanting to go but nobody was home.

DSCF2471.jpg

Then it was off to the Cement Heads!

DSCF2520.jpg

DSCF2479.jpg

DSCF2490.jpg

DSCF2509.jpg

Young Ashley takes her life in her hands!!!

DSCF2505.jpg

Thanks Steve for showing me the way. Neat discovery!

So as I looked at these unusual Cement shapes I knew I had to see them myself. So my son's GF and I made it a day ride. Thanks Steve for showing me the way. Neat discovery!
Man your riding partner is WAY prettier than Paul!

Cool though huh!?

I snap one last pic of Paul's Vmax with the windscreen Colin ordered for him from Japan (thanks Colin!)
IMG_0412.jpg

Hey, cool! That screen does look really good on the max.... I'm kinda wanting one of those monsters now, the new one is pretty damn sweet!