Dealer Called Again

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale Franks

Reaction score
Well, the local Yamaha dealer seems to really want to sell me a motorcycle. They called me a again and told me that they have an '07 A model with 1500 miles. It is a Yamah corporate bike that was ridden by a local Yamaha exec for 6 months (apparently, they get new bikes to ride for free every six months, after which they do a write-up on it for the company). It also has the factory top box. Because it was a corp. demo, they are selling it as new, although with some modest price savings.

OTD about $11k incl. tax/title/registration, with the dealer throwing in a 2-year extended warranty for free, and no dealer prep fees. They'll take my Harley in trade, and even with some negative equity, I'm looking at a payment of about $149/mo with the current buyer incentives, approx $100/mo less than I'm currently paying on the Harley (although after two years, the payment gets recalibrated, of course).

I don't know where they keep scraping up these FJR's from to keep calling me, but this is the 3rd bike they've offered.

So sanity check:

1) Am I correct in thinking that, as a bike for a corporate Yami exec, this thing has probably been tweaked a bit better than the average retail bike?

2) This sounds like too good a deal to pass up. Is it?

Anyway, I'm gonna go look at it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the local Yamaha dealer seems to really want to sell me a motorcycle. They called me a again and told me that they have an '07 A model with 1500 miles. It is a Yamah corporate bike that was ridden by a local Yamaha exec for 6 months (apparently, they get new bikes to ride for free every six months, after which they do a write-up on it for the company). It also has the factory top box. Because it was a corp. demo, they are selling it as new, although with some modest price savings.
OTD about $11k incl. tax/title/registration, with the dealer throwing in a 2-year extended warranty for free, and no dealer prep fees. They'll take my Harley in trade, and even with some negative equity, I'm looking at a payment of about $149/mo with the current buyer incentives, approx $100/mo less than I'm currently paying on the Harley (although after two years, the payment gets recalibrated, of course).

I don't know where they keep scraping up these FJR's from to keep calling me, but this is the 3rd bike they've offered.

So sanity check:

1) Am I correct in thinking that, as a bike for a corporate Yami exec, this thing has probably been tweaked a bit better than the average retail bike?

2) This sounds like too good a deal to pass up. Is it?

Anyway, I'm gonna go look at it. Any advice would be appreciated.
"Dealer prep fees" - I didn't pay any on my brand new one. In fact, he said it's built into the price of the bike.

Is the extended warranty from Yamaha or from the dealer? Is it the YES?

If they like you so much to keep calling, get that price down to $10k OTD with the 4yr YES thrown in. You don't know if that exec did a proper engine break-in or beat it like a rented mule. Nor would they tell you I'd wager. I don't know about them being able to sell it as "new", even if it was a demo. The top box doesn't really add value to the bike. If you were to sell that bike to a private buyer it might, but not a dealer.

If they really want to sell you a bike, you decide the terms :) Forget what they're saying about the HD; I'm guessing they can sell that at a huge mark-up or they already have someone baited to buy that bike.

Don't go "blind" about the deal. Take a friend who can be somewhat objective (and who isn't your SO).

My $.02

Buy the damn bike. You deserve it ^_^
Gunny!!!!

11k out the door is a pretty good price, but demand the 4 year YES instead of the 2 year. It will only cost the dealer an extra hundred bucks or so.

The top box is also an easy $700 extra for the actual box, and mounting bracket.

I think you could beat the shit out of an FJR even in the first 1500 miles and it will still be bullet proof. These bikes are just tanks.

If you decide on this one (07), I can help with working on the extras if you want to add any. FYI, take a look at sliders. For me that was the first add-on, followed closely by the G2 throttle tube.

The Yamaha Extended Service warranty (YES) is a good deal. Wish I had known about it when I bought my bike. And Fun Bike Center sure wasn't bringing up the subject.

Anyway, good luck. Sounds like these folks REALLY want to do business with you.

I didn't know they did it with motorcycles, but when I used to sell cars, all the salesmen and the sales managers had a demo program. We could pick any new car out of the lot and drive it up to 2000 miles. After the 2k we would turn it in and pick up a new one. These usually sold well because they were reduced in price (like this bike) and we usually treated them pretty well, cuz if we broke one, we had to pay for it. If we sold 13 cars a month, our demo was free. If not, we had to pay 1% of invoice. Point is, this bike may have very well been a demo for one of their managers. I know Harley does the same thing all the time. As said before, I too would require the 4 yr extended warranty, along with an oil change, and new tires (or some kind of deal that your first set of tires will be greatly reduced). If they really wanna sell the bike, those things should be easy stuff to handle. Truth be told, if my local dealer had called me with that kind of deal, I probably would have run over there.

Haggle a little more on the $ it is an 07 not an 08....

4 year YES Warranty only, no 3rd party BS.

new from D&H wouldn't be much more... But if you like this dealer and trust them, go for it. I'm sure they'll do what they can given the current economic situation.

Can't comment on the financing piece borrowing money for something like this just isn't in me.

definately go look at it and by the way there is that test drive that you really needed.

the price sounds like a preaty good deal but not sell the wife to finance it unless she is really high milage too..

the price they gave you over the phone with terms is doubtfull that it is there bottom offer.

and i really doubt that the bike was put together special but any defects would have been taken care of emediatly

sounds like your deal is just around the corner.

I like the top case being thrown in. I actually paid around $600 for mine when I bought the bike. Make sure they installed the steel plate on the bottom of the top case. I personally wuld get an 08 from D & H and call it a day but there is some savings on this deal and some loyalty dealing with a local store. Hard decision and good luck!

I was looking at Yamaha's loan terms and these easy-in loans really accelerate after 2 years. Interest jumps to from 12.99% all the way to 24.99%, depending on your credit rating, I'd guess. After 2 years at $149 (mostly interest), you would really be upside down with the bike, and looking at a serious payment bump. But I'm sure you've already considered this.

How about getting your financing somewhere else, like your bank or credit union? Yamaha is going to make out like gangbusters on your loan.

How about getting your financing somewhere else, like your bank or credit union? Yamaha is going to make out like gangbusters on your loan.
Actually, they wont. I'm paying 8.99% for the first two years. While the notional payment is $189, my actual budget is for $300 a month, which is what I'll pay. Plus any extra cash to throw in as the mood strikes me.

After which, if I haven't paid it off, I'll simply refinance. Right now, the Yamaha interest rate is lower than my bank's. And I've got a signature account that gives me 0% interest on transfers.

I'll be OK, thanks.

if your a member of a credid union you might be able to get that loan around 6 percent.. that would save more for the farkles

Congratulations and welcome to the Nut house.

Be careful and use that throttle judiciously for awhile.

Best Regards,

Bruce

I like the top case being thrown in. I actually paid around $600 for mine when I bought the bike. Make sure they installed the steel plate on the bottom of the top case. I personally wuld get an 08 from D & H and call it a day but there is some savings on this deal and some loyalty dealing with a local store. Hard decision and good luck!

Plus he is trading in his Harley which the dealer is ready to absorb him being upside down on the trade. This makes it easy for him to dumjp the Harley and get the far superior FJR. lol