Dealer Maintenance Plan - 6 visits or 3yrs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smooth14u2

Reaction score
We all have purchased a "new" cycle" and have been offered the dealerships "maintenance plan". I've recently purchased a new 2012 FJR with 230 miles thus far - been working. So I plan on taking her out on the weekends and when the weather clears (rain chances) will begin riding her to work. 600 miles come quick :) . Dealers offer maintenance plans. This offer promises: 600 mile service, valve adjustment service - more over, the terms are 6 services or 3yrs whichever comes first. With individual services costing $200 and up, the dealerships promise: head of the line service, nothing out of pocket and the maintenance plan overall is a discounted service - since you paid upfront.

- Your thoughts on the "maintenance plan"?

- If your not tech smart or knowledgable to work on your bike, would this be a consideration?

- Cost I've seen ranged from $1000,00 - $1,500.00, what do you think?

- Not considering oil changes, just major (what I call major) service - valve adjustments, etc, lack of time for do-it-your-self, don't have tools. What's your thoughts/opinions?

Minor adjustments: oil changes, minor adjustments the forurm shows and talks about, you know, thing you can do with simple tools like brakes, etc. Should one consider this?

I love to ride but don't spin a wrench much. I'm not affaid of minor or cosmetic adjustment, just don't dive into (or have the time) the deep stuff. Hmmmm, very interested in your thought and experience.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
you'd be much better doing all the oil changes yourself. You can easily check your valves yourself too, but you'd still save money paying a good shop $300 to check/adjust them. Dealer may want a bit more than that, but either way you'll be way ahead. There isn't any real maintenance to this bike.... but I'm sure they'll try real hard to sell you on that. "check" valves every 26,000 miles.... oil changes in between, spark plugs every now and then and they are a matter of tilting the tank up and unscrewing them. If you're ambitious you can change your coolant and brake fluids every couple years. Am I missing something? Why would someone pay $1500 for this?

Matt is right.. Why spend the money for the simple stuff, Oil, Brakes, Clutch and Brake fluids, Coolant, Fork oil, Rear dif... Plenty of good info an' pictures here and FJR Tech

The valve adjustment isn't all that bad, but If your not comfortable with something like that either find someone in the area who's done it, or find a competent sort to assist or do the whole procedure.

...- since you paid upfront.

- If your not tech smart or knowledgable to work on your bike, would this be a consideration?

- Not considering oil changes, just major (what I call major) service - valve adjustments, etc, lack of time for do-it-your-self, don't have tools. What's your thoughts/opinions?

Minor adjustments: oil changes, minor adjustments the forurm shows and talks about, you know, thing you can do with simple tools like brakes, etc. Should one consider this?
You have to consider who back this Warranty... and will they be in business in the future?

If it were me, you could get the 4 Year Extended Yamaha Warranty for about $389 at the info listed below:

D&H Cycle, 18115 US Hwy 31, Cullman, AL 35058, 256-739-1840, 888-553-3311

The first Valve Check is at 26k miles (about $350).

The rest of the maint. items you can do yourself and save money and Know it is Done.

Just some thoughts...

...- since you paid upfront.

You have to consider who back this Warranty... and will they be in business in the future?

If it were me, you could get the 4 Year Extended Yamaha Warranty for about $389 at the info listed below:

D&H Cycle, 18115 US Hwy 31, Cullman, AL 35058, 256-739-1840, 888-553-3311

The first Valve Check is at 26k miles (about $350).

The rest of the maint. items you can do yourself and save money and Know it is Done.

Just some thoughts...
Good point 03HiYoSilver. I'm also looking at the YES option as it is a gr8 buy from D&H. The dearler has been in business for over 10 years and seems to be just. I guess at 52k or so, $700 is still good overall, thanks ;)

you'd be much better doing all the oil changes yourself. You can easily check your valves yourself too, but you'd still save money paying a good shop $300 to check/adjust them. Dealer may want a bit more than that, but either way you'll be way ahead. There isn't any real maintenance to this bike.... but I'm sure they'll try real hard to sell you on that. "check" valves every 26,000 miles.... oil changes in between, spark plugs every now and then and they are a matter of tilting the tank up and unscrewing them. If you're ambitious you can change your coolant and brake fluids every couple years. Am I missing something? Why would someone pay $1500 for this?
Thanks Carlson. I plan on changing oil, plugs and doing the minor adjustments. Just time resricted on doing engine work. You make a good point that valves are 26k (52k on the 2nd) and thats still less. "Am I missing something?" No, that was my point and am glad you shared your input. ;) Most folks get the plan at purchase. I have never gotten or considered one in all my years of riding, just wanted to hear other opinions b4 even considering the plunge. As maybe aware, some have gotten this and won't say (admit it), I'm considering all options. Gr8 feedback, thanks.

I'm glad you're doing your research on it! Congrats on the new bike. While some FJR's with high miles (>75k) occasionally need some work done on them, they're pretty rock solid so I wouldn't pay for a maintenance plan.

I'm glad you're doing your research on it! Congrats on the new bike. While some FJR's with high miles (>75k) occasionally need some work done on them, they're pretty rock solid so I wouldn't pay for a maintenance plan.
Valued your opinion and thanks for the insight. Been reading many post on this forum and your right, most of the work is really simple. With my previous bike (FJ1200, ZZR) I did most of the work. Guess its just getting comfortable with this current bike.

Yes, doing my research and hoping I'm helping others ;) . Thanks again.

Smooth, I'm similarly situated as you, can do, but don't really want to/have time to etc... I bought my bike used from a guy who had purchased a 3 yr / unlimited miles maint. plan from the dealer with 2 1/2 yrs remaining. I transferred it to my name for $50 - no brainer. I put 40K+ on the bike in that time period and had regular serviced performed I guess 9-10 times. Obviously this paid off for me. At the end of the three yrs, I re-upped the plan for just under $1,000. But the number of miles I put on the bike the plan clearly pays for itself and I don't have to spend my time dealing with it. I would say I am in the minority on this board. Most people I have talked to or known from this forum PREFER to do the work on their bike because they 1) enjoy it 2) know it has been done 3) don't trust stealerships. I'm sure there are other reasons. But for me, the maint plan works. Just my 2 cents - or $1,000 for that matter. ;)

FJRBandit, Gr8 feedback. I'm adding this to my option. I guess i'm going to have to get a price breakdown and go from their. The minor oil changes, etc I'll do. I would be sending it in for anyother "BIG" work. It looks like it isnt that much work to be done on the bike. Hmmm, if the 600 mile service is simpley changing the oil(s), then why pay for the service or $250 for just that service?

I guess ima just do the 600mile service, this way they have it on record, not get the service plan and do the fluids changes myself. Pick up the YES and just continue :) .

Smooth, I'm similarly situated as you, can do, but don't really want to/have time to etc... I bought my bike used from a guy who had purchased a 3 yr / unlimited miles maint. plan from the dealer with 2 1/2 yrs remaining. I transferred it to my name for $50 - no brainer. I put 40K+ on the bike in that time period and had regular serviced performed I guess 9-10 times. Obviously this paid off for me. At the end of the three yrs, I re-upped the plan for just under $1,000. But the number of miles I put on the bike the plan clearly pays for itself and I don't have to spend my time dealing with it. I would say I am in the minority on this board. Most people I have talked to or known from this forum PREFER to do the work on their bike because they 1) enjoy it 2) know it has been done 3) don't trust stealerships. I'm sure there are other reasons. But for me, the maint plan works. Just my 2 cents - or $1,000 for that matter. ;)
Thanks ;)

You won't get to the expensive valve adjust service in the first 6 official service intervals and you can be certain that they won't be properly lubricating the swing arm bearings and such as part of the work they do. They are thinking a half dozen oil changes. You are thinking full by-the-book maintenance.

Save your money, I suggest you do your own oil changes and other minor work and invest some of the money you saved in the extended warranty - it paid off for me and for many others.

If the deal is 3 years or 6 visits you're better off doing it yourself, IMHO. There are plenty of how-to posts available to help us out and I would have gone the DIY route myself but... I bought a maintenance plan for 3 years / unlimited visits. Just so happens that FJRBandit and I use the same dealership so I don't know if the plan is offered in other places (though I would think it is).

I will say I almost didn't buy it. I looked at the cost of the plan and talked to the service department to get the cost of service visits. I decided that if I had the bike serviced twice a year, putting about 8k miles/yr on the bike, I'd break even. That doesn't take the 600mi service into account which would tilt the numbers a little further into my favor. In the end I bought the plan because I planned/hoped to put more miles on the bike than 8k/yr. So far, so good as I'm at 2500mi after two months. ;)

On the point of the service visits, they don't just change the fluids but perform the required maintenance as outlined by Yamaha. Now, I don't sit back there and watch them :ninja: but I do choose to trust them. At least until my YES runs out, anyway ;)

I bought it when I bought my 10 new.

I was really hurt from a get off and did not think I would be able to do the maintenance once I healed. I also have the extended Yes. I was thinking it kind of went hand in hand, if they did the maintenance then warranty work on YES would be smoother.

Well first it has a cap of 1,800.00. And that is using shop prices for everything including labor. On my 12,000 I found out that I am close in what I have left on my "credit". Service manager and I talked and I will do my 16,000 and 24,000 and they will check my valves and I will have little if anything left.

The 16k is the big one where rear pivots are called to be serviced. Well since I serviced mine with 0 miles when I replaced the shock I will pass on that one.

I want them to do the first valve check so it is on record for YES.

I would NEVER do this again! Just not worth it. You also pay for parts, like plugs, air filter and such. You get charged the outrageous price for oil and fluids, and parts.

As I said I did it to enforce the YES warranty. I had also thought I was helping the Dealer since it gives him guaranteed income in winter, but since talking to the new GM I do not mean crap to him. I had to fight at 2 years 12,000 miles to get my fluids flushed and was charged big money for it. I just redid it and for 4 bucks for Dot 4 and 2 hrs time I was done.

Save your money, do the work yourself. First and foremost you doing it is a lot different then a guy doing a 9-5 shift.

I even tried to make nice and pay the difference for synth oil on the last one and it cost me 79.00 plus the credit from dino juice.

Auto Zone has/ had Mobil 1 15-50w 5 quarts with a Mobil 1 oil filter for 32.99, so you figure out who is making money hand over fist.

Save your money and do the work yourself.

If the deal is 3 years or 6 visits you're better off doing it yourself, IMHO. There are plenty of how-to posts available to help us out and I would have gone the DIY route myself but... I bought a maintenance plan for 3 years / unlimited visits. Just so happens that FJRBandit and I use the same dealership so I don't know if the plan is offered in other places (though I would think it is).

I will say I almost didn't buy it. I looked at the cost of the plan and talked to the service department to get the cost of service visits. I decided that if I had the bike serviced twice a year, putting about 8k miles/yr on the bike, I'd break even. That doesn't take the 600mi service into account which would tilt the numbers a little further into my favor. In the end I bought the plan because I planned/hoped to put more miles on the bike than 8k/yr. So far, so good as I'm at 2500mi after two months. ;)

On the point of the service visits, they don't just change the fluids but perform the required maintenance as outlined by Yamaha. Now, I don't sit back there and watch them :ninja: but I do choose to trust them. At least until my YES runs out, anyway ;)
I agree. Me thinks I'll just pay for the 600mile service (matter of record) and work on the other things as they arrive. I plan on putting the miles on but it will prob b in spurts - not like I use to do with my others, you know, more free time :p . Funny, I talked to another dealer which told me their service plan was for 3yrs, unlimited miles, unlimited oil changes and whatever service the bike needs. Yup all that for $1,800. Really???! :blink: :glare: I asked if I get the YES added - he cut me off and stated "You don't need the YES warranty as we do all the service to the bike and it would be a waste". Hmmm <_< <_< . Know what, not getting my business. Wow, the stealerships :angry2:

That makes no sense at all. I don't blame you for walking away from that one!

I bought it when I bought my 10 new.

I was really hurt from a get off and did not think I would be able to do the maintenance once I healed. I also have the extended Yes. I was thinking it kind of went hand in hand, if they did the maintenance then warranty work on YES would be smoother.

Well first it has a cap of 1,800.00. And that is using shop prices for everything including labor. On my 12,000 I found out that I am close in what I have left on my "credit". Service manager and I talked and I will do my 16,000 and 24,000 and they will check my valves and I will have little if anything left.

The 16k is the big one where rear pivots are called to be serviced. Well since I serviced mine with 0 miles when I replaced the shock I will pass on that one.

I want them to do the first valve check so it is on record for YES.

I would NEVER do this again! Just not worth it. You also pay for parts, like plugs, air filter and such. You get charged the outrageous price for oil and fluids, and parts.

As I said I did it to enforce the YES warranty. I had also thought I was helping the Dealer since it gives him guaranteed income in winter, but since talking to the new GM I do not mean crap to him. I had to fight at 2 years 12,000 miles to get my fluids flushed and was charged big money for it. I just redid it and for 4 bucks for Dot 4 and 2 hrs time I was done.

Save your money, do the work yourself. First and foremost you doing it is a lot different then a guy doing a 9-5 shift.

I even tried to make nice and pay the difference for synth oil on the last one and it cost me 79.00 plus the credit from dino juice.

Auto Zone has/ had Mobil 1 15-50w 5 quarts with a Mobil 1 oil filter for 32.99, so you figure out who is making money hand over fist.

Save your money and do the work yourself.
Right.. :clapping: . That's what gets me. Your paying for the service thinking okay, bike is covered and this eases the pain. Come to find out you also have to pay for parts, shop mat and any upgrades you want :unsure: :unsure: :glare: . Thanks for posting your thoughts and experience - thats what I needed.

Folks, don't get me wrong, whether you paid for a service plan or not, I'm not judging, just trying to make a wise decision for myself. I appreciate all the "real opinions and experiences" you have shared. Wow... Gr8 forum and folks here :yahoo:

X years unlimited miles can be a good deal for people who rack up the LD miles. Limiting the miles or, by extension, the number of services, makes it a bad deal. Some can burn through 6 services in 6 months to a year @ 3k service intervals. People in the IBR could burn through half of it in 11 days.

X years unlimited miles can be a good deal for people who rack up the LD miles. Limiting the miles or, by extension, the number of services, makes it a bad deal. Some can burn through 6 services in 6 months to a year @ 3k service intervals. People in the IBR could burn through half of it in 11 days.
I was asleep thinking this is what they meant. But it has a Dollar Cap. I gave 900.00 and the cap is 1800.00. I was very disappointed when I found that out as I put 6000 miles on the bike in 2 months.

Not a good deal at all IMHO.

Except for the documentation showing service records at a dealer, it has no value to owners who can wrench.