Dealing with the dealers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikenut

Reaction score
Here is the tortuous saga (greatly shortened) of getting my beloved 2005 FJR. Call it catharsis (bottom line is that Cycle Sports of Salem, Oregon are lieing rat bastards from the salemen up to the owners):

In January, 2004, I called all of the Yamaha dealers in Western Oregon and told them that I was buying a 2005 FJR, cash deal, from the lowest offered price. I told them that this wasn't a game, I was calling each dealer one time and was not going to play them off each other. I expected the "winning" dealer to place my order on the very first day of ordering (Feb. 15, 2004). The first couple of dealers told me straight MSRP. Then a dealer said he'd knock off a couple hundred bucks.

Finally, Cycle Sports of Salem, Oregon, quoted me an out the door price that was an unbelievable ($10,389). The next closest was $10,962 out the door from a Portland dealer. He asked where their offer stood and I told him about the lower price. The Portland dealer told me that there was no way that Cycle Sports (CS) could do that; they would be losing money. He told me I better get that price in writing from them. I told Cycle Sports that I wanted a written contract; they agreed.

I paid my $500 deposit a couple days later and got acontract. I called CS on the Feb. 14 and told them I wanted my order placed the next day at noon (the opening bell). I called again at 10AM and reminded them to call at 12:01 that day.

On Feb. 18 I received a call from CS telling me the order had been placed. I was a little put off that they had waited, but figured I'd still have my bike in July, 2004.

I was so excited that I called Yamaha on March 31 to ask where I was on the list.

As you can figure, I was not on the list at all, they HAD NOT PLACED THE ORDER!!

I was so angry I could hardly form words when I called CS. I told them to straighten this out by tomorrow. I called Yamaha the next day and was told that I was now on the list ...as of April 1. They had ordered after I chewed them out and considered it fixed.

I told CS I wanted my deposit back and they put me through the ringer before relenting under threat (and it was real) of a lawsuit for breach of contract. They told me lie after lie for several days and then began to trip on the stories that didn't mesh. I have since heard from other people that Cycle Sports is notorious for screwing customers. I filed complaints about CS to Yamaha.

I called my local dealer, Ramsey-Waite Yamaha in Eugene, Oregon. They had not wanted to particapate originally in giving me a quote by phone. I told the sales manager my saga and asked if they would honor the second best offer to save me from driving 100 miles to Portland and giving them my offer. He agreed, even though all of the other FJRs they had ordered were for more a minimum of $700+ more. He said I probably wouldn't get my bike until October or November, 2004.

They treated me very well. They called me in September and said they were going to give me the bike that they had ordered for their showroom (so that I would get on mine before winter) and use the one they ordered for me on the showroom. They didn't have to do that. Their customer service was outstanding and I wrote Yamaha to tell them how I appreciated this dealer.

So I ended up getting my 2005 for $10,962 out the door (non ABS) and now have 14,500 miles on it. It's nice when a story has a happy ending........

Sorry to hear about your tortuous saga and glad it was resolved.

Heads up for future PDPs: When ordering in-person (deposit + written contract), sit down with your dealer and watch them enter you into the YDS (Yamaha Dealer System). If you order over the phone have the dealer send you a “Print Screen” of the YDS information with your name, order date, model etc along with a written contract/OTD price. This way you immediately know that your name is being entered into the Yamaha Dealer System on the date of your deposit or PDP.

Last edited by a moderator:
That argument doesn't stand up when you factor in dealers like D&H Cycle though. Sure, cheaper isn't always better, and I'll be the first to agree, but there are many dealers that are competitive and go the extra mile in service. Damn, I feel like I'm at a Value Based Selling seminar. :blink:

This guy is a dealers worst nightmare, far as I can tell, somewhat of a troll at best. His comments in the Sidestand Saga do not speak well for him-More Complaints

He has yet to contribute (that I can see anyway) a positive comment or suggestion yet. While I am no friend of crap dealerships, he is not a good representative of a customer I would want to deal with. Perhaps the dealers who wouldn't work with him knew something the ones that do didn't. ;)

My experience in shoping for price is that stating a price you are willing to pay for the bike, and letting the dealer say yes, no, or counter offer is a better way to go than asking "what's the best you can do". It tells them you are serious, without forcing them to say anything about what they want to get from the sale.

Here's another handy tool on what the bike is worth used:

https://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/ke.kb.mr?kbb....;20210;;;;&&&&&

It pays to some homework like trying price some low milage used bikes as well, like craigs or cycle trader. The dealer prep and setup fees are a joke so if you're already seeing that you might want to find a different dealer. Try to get all quotes in writing and stating the "Out The Door" price.

This guy is a dealers worst nightmare, far as I can tell, somewhat of a troll at best.  His comments in the Sidestand Saga do not speak well for him-More ComplaintsHe has yet to contribute (that I can see anyway) a positive comment or suggestion yet.  While I am no friend of crap dealerships, he is not a good representative of a customer I would want to deal with.  Perhaps the dealers who wouldn't work with him knew something the ones that do didn't. ;)
I agree with you on this one. There isn't any excuse for a crappy dealer but you tend to get out of people what you give them. Give them crap and you will get crap. Do onto others as you wish them do onto you. I will always pay extra for good service and the peace of mind that comes with trusting the people I do business with.

This guy is a dealers worst nightmare, far as I can tell, somewhat of a troll at best.
  While I am no friend of crap dealerships, he is not a good representative of a customer I would want to deal with.  Perhaps the dealers who wouldn't work with him knew something the ones that do didn't. ;)
I am with you on this one.

I really don’t understand these guys that call several dealers and let them know they are interested in buying a product that they all sell. Really crazy when you let them all know you will be contacting their competitors and will purchase from the dealer in which you feel provides the most competitive price. Forcing a dealer to sell a bike at a loss, basically taking money from their families, just so they can get a good deal. I just don’t get it ….

Definitely troll behavior to then force the dealer to agree in writing, accept a deposit, and make them place the order. Only to have the nerve to check and make sure the dealer followed through AND BITCH when the dealer didn’t order it. I mean “what the hell”??? They quoted him the lowest price already.

Customers that expect dealers to live up to what they agree upon is just a customer looking out for themselves only. No friend to a dealer. :(

This guy is a dealers worst nightmare, far as I can tell, somewhat of a troll at best.  His comments in the Sidestand Saga do not speak well for him-More ComplaintsHe has yet to contribute (that I can see anyway) a positive comment or suggestion yet.  While I am no friend of crap dealerships, he is not a good representative of a customer I would want to deal with.  Perhaps the dealers who wouldn't work with him knew something the ones that do didn't. ;)
I agree with you on this one. There isn't any excuse for a crappy dealer but you tend to get out of people what you give them. Give them crap and you will get crap. Do onto others as you wish them do onto you. I will always pay extra for good service and the peace of mind that comes with trusting the people you do business with.
Those are good consumer principles to keep in mind and to live by.

There was a study done, I don’t remember who exactly but will look it up if your interested, that basically said “trust” goes up almost linearly with the price you allow someone to charge you for most any product.

Paying extra is never a bad thing if it will help you feel you have a more trusting relationship with that dealer. Certainly the dealer trusts the more they can charge you the better the customer they truly have.

:cownoy:

I really don’t understand these guys that call several dealers and let them know they are interested in buying a product that they all sell. Really crazy when you let them all know you will be contacting their competitors and will purchase from the dealer in which you feel provides the most competitive price. Forcing a dealer to sell a bike at a loss, basically taking money from their families, just so they can get a good deal. I just don’t get it.
Fleet buyers do this all the time. Mostly they do it by things like FAX and deal directly with the fleet seller within a dealership. No smarmy "haggling" for best deal. A simple, to the point fax, sent on your letterhead to the dealerships you are submitting your RFQ to. They participate or not at their descression; knowing that you are shopping the market for the best value (which may or may not be the lowest price).

Standard business practice in every business except for vehicle sales.

And I can assure you that you won't be forcing anyone to sell at a loss. Even marked down significantly, they will still turn a profit. The only question that remains is how much of your life [1] you are willing to part with for a piece of machinery.

[1] since we all understand that money simply represents stored up labor.[2]

[2] and paid labor is portions of your life spent working for someone else.[3]

[3] and working without pay when you'd rather be doing something else is known elsewhere as slavery.[4]

[4] or marriage.

[D] and, yes, i knew you were being sarcastic.

And I can assure you that you won't be forcing anyone to sell at a loss. Even marked down significantly, they will still turn a profit. The only question that remains is how much of your life [1] you are willing to part with for a piece of machinery.
[1] since we all understand that money simply represents stored up labor.[2]

[2] and paid labor is portions of your life spent working for someone else.[3]

[3] and working without pay when you'd rather be doing something else is known elsewhere as slavery.[4]

[4] or marriage.
Lol, you my friend have a knack for speaking to the heart of the issue in a meaningful and straightforward manner.

I don’t know how you spend your days but I see limitless potential for you in Public Service.

Just a heads-up to anyone in the Pacific NW area. I bought my '05 from Power Yamaha in the town of Sublimity. I got a good trade-in on my '98 Vulcan just by bringing in several pics I took of it. By the way this shop is about 60 miles from my home. I ordered it in the middle of last Feb and got it on the 31st of March. Not too long of a wait compared to some I've heard about, and it was delivered when they said it wouldbe. They even called just to let me know when the ship was in that it was on without me even asking. Now for the really good part. I met the Gentleman that built the bike out of the crate and he did an excellent job. No loose nuts, bolts or anything like that. Then, the day it was ready to roll they called and told me and since it was raining that night and I was working nights, the same guy delivered it to my house (60 miles) in a covered trailer, picked up my Vulcan and we did the paperwork at my kitchen table and he was gone. All in about 45 min.

My wife and I were and still are very impressed with this dealership and I highly recommend them. I finally got lucky at something...

I had a similar situation buying my 05, not the negative parts but the positive aspects. My dealer was Yamaha of Gastonia (North Carolina). Wayne and Brad will treat you right.

Jay

Radman- I respect your opinion, but you are 180 degrees from the actual situation... I love my FJR, am very pleased with it. The ONLY reason my dealer went the extra mile (more) for me with the sidestand issue (which you allude to as being negative) was because of our POSITIVE, TRUSTING relationship. He knew I wasn't bullshitting him, was in love with my bike, and respected that I am a straight shooter. I wrote POSITIVE letters to him, his dealership and Yamaha Corp. That's the truth. I'm sorry you read it otherwise.

As far as shopping for a low price, hey, I asked the dealers if they wanted to quote me a price. I demanded nothing. No gamesmanship...straight out..."I am going to buy this bike today, cash, do you want to quote me a price?" Almost everyone of them called me back to find out what I had gotten the bike for because they wanted to know what their competitors were doing. By the way, the dealer in Sublimity, Oregon was very impressive with what they offered, they were just a little further away in miles.

When I buy the next generation of FJR...whenever that is...will I do it the same way? No, I'll go back to the deal who treated me right and say, let's talk. Will I sit there while he places the order. Yes, because he placed it in front of me the last time. He was reputable, the other dealer was not. That was not my fault and I don't think it is negative to talk about it or a problem with the kickstand.

All of us FJR owners are in this together to some degree. Do you write to all of the people (dozens or more) who have posted complaints about "the ticking problem" and tell them they are being negative? Their comments are what has moved Yamaha to FIX the problem.

Dude, don't shoot the messenger!

In my above post I forgot to mention that Sublimity is in Oregon if anyone is interested.