Death Valley Dualsport Drama

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great ride report. Full of drama and good deeds and happy outcomes. And there's more proof motorcycles are dangerous when mixed with dirt and knobby tires. The scariest part was the spider. No desert riding for me. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I've never done dirt...except by accident.

Was thinking of getting an old beat up dualsport some day down the road to see if it was something I'd like...or was able to do. This gives me both encouragement and pause. With no dirt background, I don't have any basic offroad skills or muscle memory to draw from...so pretty unsure about that. The photo of the rider down certainly points out the risks.

However, the scenery looks beautiful, with great views not obtained from a street bike (unless you are Steve McQueen)...and looked like it was a great time except for the accident.

Dirt or road riding...nobody EVER wants to see a scene of a rider face down and not moving. Ever.

All the best, Steve. Hope you make a full recovery.

(God bless prescription narcotics, ........and stool softeners. Jus' sayin'.)

Very nice report, DougieBear. And the pics - yours AND Brad's - make me want to get back to DV.

No mechanical breakdowns?

Run-ins with hookers?

Well, I've never done dirt...except by accident.

Was thinking of getting an old beat up dualsport some day down the road to see if it was something I'd like...or was able to do. This gives me both encouragement and pause. With no dirt background, I don't have any basic offroad skills or muscle memory to draw from...so pretty unsure about that. The photo of the rider down certainly points out the risks.

However, the scenery looks beautiful, with great views not obtained from a street bike (unless you are Steve McQueen)...and looked like it was a great time except for the accident.

Dirt or road riding...nobody EVER wants to see a scene of a rider face down and not moving. Ever.
Wheatie, get the dualsport and have some fun! I started in the dirt and have well over 50k miles dirt bike riding. This was the first major accident I have been involved with. You are right that we did have some great fun and saw sights where no street bike could take you. Just like street riding, dirt motorcycling has it's dangers too.

I once read the best way to improve your street skills in handling a motorcycle is to ride a dirt bike.