Decisions Decisions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydrus01

Reaction score
I just purchased my 05FJR a couple of weeks ago and I'm a new rider, completing MSF 3 months ago. My first real bike, not counting the 400cc '06Majesty... a BIG step up. After commuting to work daily on my Majesty for two months, I got the itch for a motorcycle. Dealer owned 05FJRABS with only 2k miles. My wife & I just couldn't pass it up. I'm taking a slow & steady approach, as my commute is only 14 miles round trip. Scheduled for an advanced rider course at end of July. I feel comfortable with this bike but have to admit slow speads can lead to trouble. Purchased sliders and gonna install them ASAP.

Although it is a fantastic bike I'm thinking maybe I should downgrade (I hate to... I love it so!). I'm worried about parking this piece of (heavy) art daily into my 2 car garage with a pop-up camper already in it. Not to mention an inclined driveway to make things more difficult. Very tricky. We didn't think this one through very much before buying it. So for now I park on the street and keep it covered. No where else to store it. I do live in a nice neighborhood but plan to get it lojacked anyway (if I keep it).

So here is my dilemma. Do I keep this wonderful bike and put the popup in storage or do I downgrade, perhaps to a FZ6 which will be easier to pull into garage? I'd feel better about leaving something like a FZ6 on the street than my FJR. Wife doesn't want me to have a 'rocket' (I think she was high on ether when we bought the FJR) but a sportsbike is more 'me' and what I want to do (commute & moderate joyriding). Getting rid of the camper is not an option as she loves to go camping. Nor is buying a new home w/a 3 car garage LOL.

I doubt she'll ride with me much as she doesn't like 'not seeing' over me on the JFR, which she realized after we bought the bike. Again... not well thought out.

Thanks in advance for anyone's advice. My wife & I are 35, no children, living in beautiful CO, covent neighborhood.

Last edited by a moderator:
We camp one to two weekends per month during summer months. Wife not fond of storing pop-up outside b/c of ABS roof... another story. BTW you can bet she is viewing this post. She reads this forum daily!

Every person is an individual and has different levels of self control and sense of responsiblity.

So maybe you are that rare individual that can handle a bike with as much potential as the FJR as a learner. But I would never, ever in my wildest dreams recommend one as a first bike. I would also never recommend that somebody with as little riding experience as you have carry a passenger.

If you like riding, get something smaller with less power and get some seat time. I have an three bikes and the FJR is the biggest, heaviest and most powerful. The fact that you "have to admit that slow speeds can lead to trouble" says that you aren't really comfortable with a motorcyle yet. There is so much torque available on an FJR just off idle that a hiccup could be all it takes to park your front wheel on the trunk of a car in front of you.

Don't get me wrong. I love my FJR. Its a great motorcyle in many ways. But its not a good bike to learn the art and science of riding. Too much power, too much weight. Try and SV650, FZ600, Ninja 650R or similar. And to minimize the bite, buy used. Then when you feel like you are fully in control of that bike, look into something like the FJR. If there's room in your garage for the FJR but you have so little confidence in your control of it that you don't feel comfortable getting it in there, hill or not, its too much bike for your current skill set.

There's a thread on here with a video of afterburn's run across a pass in the alps on his FJR. I've ridden with afterburn and he is a very skilled, very experienced rider. There is a moment in the video where he managed to spin the rear tire of his FJR unexpectedly while exiting a corner. That's the kind of power it has and a less experience rider could have very easily, almost predictably, turned that moment into a nasty highside accident. It just isn't a good bike for an inexperienced rider.

FZ6 would make a very nice bike for your first year or two, In fact, if you are using it primarily to commute to work it may be all the bike you ever need. There are other bikes out there that would serve your purpose as well, so don't get hung up on the FZ6. Do some research and sit on a bunch of bikes in 500cc - 650cc range and see what you like best.

If your wife doesn't like riding on the back then you might need to get her to learn to ride on the front, in which case the smaller bike would be a better candidate for her to learn on.

This was/is my first bike. Have to admit the slow speed and 0 speed handling was my biggest challenge at first. I used to not top off the tank because it was so damn top heavy and I worried about dropping it! Now I am used to it and couldn't tell you if the tank is full or empty by the handling. I park my bike between our two cars in a two car garage and it really isn't a problem. I back it in, try and center it on the center post between the garage doors and then put it on the centerstand. Not a problem. Just keep working at it and it'll become second nature.

Maybe you can just keep the pop-up outside for a while until you get used to maneuvering the FJR? How much would it cost to buy a cover or have one made for the pop-up? Which one is more likely to suffer from being outside, the FJR or the pop-up, and if something goes wrong (vandals, critters eating wiring or brake lines, etc.) which one will be the biggest liability (you most likely won't end up in the hospital or worse if something fails on the pop-up...)? Do you keep a car in the second space in the garage, or is there room for the FJR? You can buy various types of "lazy susan" devices to pivot the bike end-for-end in it's own length...one of those might be helpful if backing into your steep driveway is intimidating.

You probably picked the wrong bike, but you might end up being happy with it. Practice slow speed maneuvers every time you ride. The FJR just seems like overkill for what you plan to do, especially if the commute is mostly city traffic. The F6 (or SV650, V-Strom, etc., etc.) probably would have been a better choice.

Every person is an individual and has different levels of self control and sense of responsiblity.So maybe you are that rare individual that can handle a bike with as much potential as the FJR as a learner. But I would never, ever in my wildest dreams recommend one as a first bike. I would also never recommend that somebody with as little riding experience as you have carry a passenger.

If you like riding, get something smaller with less power and get some seat time. I have an three bikes and the FJR is the biggest, heaviest and most powerful. The fact that you "have to admit that slow speeds can lead to trouble" says that you aren't really comfortable with a motorcyle yet. There is so much torque available on an FJR just off idle that a hiccup could be all it takes to park your front wheel on the trunk of a car in front of you.

Don't get me wrong. I love my FJR. Its a great motorcyle in many ways. But its not a good bike to learn the art and science of riding. Too much power, too much weight. Try and SV650, FZ600, Ninja 650R or similar. And to minimize the bite, buy used. Then when you feel like you are fully in control of that bike, look into something like the FJR. If there's room in your garage for the FJR but you have so little confidence in your control of it that you don't feel comfortable getting it in there, hill or not, its too much bike for your current skill set.

There's a thread on here with a video of afterburn's run across a pass in the alps on his FJR. I've ridden with afterburn and he is a very skilled, very experienced rider. There is a moment in the video where he managed to spin the rear tire of his FJR unexpectedly while exiting a corner. That's the kind of power it has and a less experience rider could have very easily, almost predictably, turned that moment into a nasty highside accident. It just isn't a good bike for an inexperienced rider.
I agree with the above. But if you keep it, use the rear brake in slow speed maneuvers to regulate bike speed, rather than the throttle...an old trick easy to master. As for the maneuvering the bike around in and out of the garage, I drive it in and then back it out the next time I ride, when I'm fresh and motivated. Both feet touch the ground and I have no-slip soles on my riding boots, which help. If you are having trouble moving the bike because you are vertically challenged, get another bike. And another factor...the VAST majority of first bikes (and often tenth bikes) get dumped in slow maneuvers. The cost of fixing or living with the damage on a 4-year-old used bike is much more manageable.

Buy a standard of some medium displacement and go slow. Build the skills. And I don't let anybody on my pillion for at least 1000 mikes on a new bike, while I break it in and it teaches me about her likes and dislikes.

Welcome to motorcycling. You've just realized it is a different set of responsibilities and problems to overcome, but the rewards are great.

Your dealer, in my opinion was unscrupulous for stearing you to an FJR. I suggest a different dealer if you buy another bike. If you keep the FEEJER, understand there is little correlation statistically (based on Europen studies anyway) between displacement and accident rates. But experience is correlated with accident rates, and IMHO it is easier to feel comfy getting that experience on a lighter bike with more linear power delivery. Get some experience at moderate speeds, and keep your ego out of the equation as much as possible.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Every person is an individual and has different levels of self control and sense of responsiblity.So maybe you are that rare individual that can handle a bike with as much potential as the FJR as a learner. But I would never, ever in my wildest dreams recommend one as a first bike. I would also never recommend that somebody with as little riding experience as you have carry a passenger.

I agree with wally, too much for a first bike. Although my first bike was a 1100 VStar, that was way too much bike, weight and power for me. Here are two suggestion.

1. Trade in the bike for any 600cc bike, and continue researching for classes in your area for advanced lessons. Put your deposit in for a 07 or 08 FJR (only $500 for deposit) and you'll have time to hone your skills and experience on the road. Move the Camper outside, and use a cover, or buy a tool shed and park the bike in there.

2. Keep the FJR, hire or find an instructor and let him help you find areas you need to work on.

Well it appears as this makes at least 3 of us here on this forum that started with an FJR. I have a 2006 A and couldn't be happier with it. I have had only one close call so far but I only have 225 miles on it in two weeks. I haven't had any slow speed issues at all so far other than the beginner clutch issues coming off a stop on a hill, had it die on me 3-4 times now but haven't done that in 8-9 days now, hopefully I've memorized my clutch finally. My only close call was entering a turn far to fast, which based on the responses in my post no one believes anyways so I guess it was a dream and I don't actually have any issue with it. I have yet to experience any of the issues that everyone keeps warning us about so I can't speak to them first hand but I promise as soon as I do become a statistic, if I live, I will come back here and help them spreech never to get one as a first bike.

As far as parking, mine was easy. I have a full depth garage that I parked my Dodge RAM SRT in, the SRT now sits in the driveway and the FJR has a full bay to sit in. I know it's warped since my truck is WAY more expensive than my bike but damnit the new baby needs love :)

I'm agreeing with zzkenoman #1. My wife went thru the same scenario. Dirt bikes and a road course set the foundation for an FZ6. After 1000 miles on the FZ6 she was very confident on the FJR. Now the '03 is hers! And she does a fabulous job on it too!

One regret, after buying the FZ6 I rode a SV650. A muuuuuuch better bike to learn on then the 6.

Good luck!

Well, I'll throw in my 2 cents worth and give you my experience. Not giving advice as we are all different and some take to bikes quicker than others. Me, I’m comfortable with the man/machine interface and usually do well with operating machinery, etc.

Lorie and I took the MSF basic course summer 04. Picked up my 05/ABS on my bday - 28 May (05). Only riding experience was 2 bikes for a couple of hours in 1977 and 3 x test rides on BMWs fall of 04 (Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg VA; great folks). IOW, FJR was my first bike. Owned it for 13.5 months and have 13.6k miles on her. Felt comfortable from the first moment I threw a leg over. My first challenge was within 2 miles of picking up the bike in Charlottesville. I asked my lovely wife (in the car) to see if she could find a parking lot so I could ride around a bit. Well, ended up going down a single lane dead end to nowhere! Got the bike turned around w/o disaster (good confidence builder).

Yes, I dropped it (actually gently lowered it while screaming obscenities in the garage getting it off the centerstand – all my dumbass fault) within 30 days - only drop so far. Riding at speed 10mph+ was never a real challenge – although it has taken study and riding, riding, riding to become truly proficient. Slow speed riding was a challenge to learn because of the weight and top heavy nature of the bike (although now I don’t really notice it being top heavy) - use the rear brake not the front (near disaster in a WaWa parking lot drilled that lesson into my brain housing group) and slow speed tight turns were somewhat nerve wracking to learn.

My plan of attack was/is to study and to ride, ride, ride, and then ride. In the first few months I tried my best to ride in as many different conditions as I could – day, night, hot, rain, dry, dirt roads, gravel roads, regular roads, hi/low speed, and when winter came cold wx. I just added scooting across someone’s front lawn (unintended!) to the list! I have ridden in as many different conditions as I possibly could find to gain the experience so that encountering unusual conditions doesn’t make me panic. I took the Lee Parks Total Control class last month to boot. Good class and came at around the right time for me. I think taking the class with less than the riding experience I had would have been less productive.

I personally am glad I did not get a smaller bike to learn/get experience on. I think I would have quickly become bored and may in fact have lost interest. There is nothing in my experience (I’m only speaking to mine and me) that suggests to me that that would have been the right COA. Again, I’m not advising just providing my experience – you do whatever you think is right for you. And BTW, have fun and good luck!

I'm not going to comment on whether or not the FJR is a good beginner bike, but I will say that is is a bunch of bike to push around for even an experienced rider. That's one reason I did not buy one sooner: I always had a rule of No bikes heavier than 500 pounds, give or take. But, alas, the '06 improvements coincided with my need for a second bike and the temptation was too much to resist.

FWIW, I have seen some people start out on bikes that no one would recommend to a beginner and in many cases the beginners did ok. Be careful and good luck.

I bought an '06 as a re-entry bike after having been off cycles for about 10 years. I have about 1,200 miles and have just enjoyed it tremendously.

As a new or re-entry bike, folks should simply recognize that the FJR is just a lot of bike, and it really comes down to the maturity of the rider. If the rider can respect what he's on, and exercise some self-control, I think he or she will love it. Otherwise they will probably hurt themselves.

Don

I started out on an FZ6. It is a very good bike to start on if you have self control (sounds like you do) since it isn't a slouch in the speed dept. Once you get above about 7k rpm it will open up and run, but below that it is very tame.

1) Do MSf course as soon as possible

2) Find a riding buddy, go for some rides, & have them lead. Study.

3) Practice practice practice

4) Buy a tarp for the camper & put the FJR in the garage

5) Make a point to take wifey out with the camper, a few times. just to let her know she's still on the radar

6) Rent a dinky (400-600) bike for a few days, ride that sucker all day till your butt & hands are sore.

BTW, what is a 'convent neighborhood' ? Houses built by nuns ?

"IT" is my second bike, The first was a Katana 750 I road for around 3000 miles last summer. It took me 2 months to get the nerve to go over 40 mph! The bike scared me almost to the point of selling. I found a riding partner and an empty parking lot. I have over 2000 weekend miles on the 06 since May. Keep the bike. I don't hesitate to bust triple digits if conditions are right. Rear brake = slow speeds. MSF experienced a big + for me. I never took the beginners course. Not to (yes I am) toot my own horn, but my friends with 10-15+ years of ridding say I'm impressive with reguard to my experience level. I have to be careful not to be over-confident because that is where mistakes are made.

If you do decide to keep the FJR, take the bags off and leave them off while going through the learning curve. Way easier to get in/out of the garage this way and should you happen to tip the bike over you won't wreck some very expensive pieces. Sliders or TOGs ASAP, too.

Good luck and good riding, whichever way you go.