Desulfating Battery Charger

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
I just bought a NOCO Genius2 charger/maintainer. it says:
The GENIUS2 automatically detects sulfation/acid stratification. If any is found, the GENIUS2 will automatically repair and reverse the damage done to the battery, extending the usable life and increasing the performance.

https://no.co/genius2
From my understanding, desulfation involves applying a higher voltage in pulses to the battery. Anybody know if this could be harmful to the bike's electronics? i.e. Should the battery be disconnected first?
The mode is apparently automatic and can't be turned on or off...

It's fine, the battery buffers the voltage. Just make sure you never use it with a lithium battery.
I figured that the battery would behave as a big capacitor to absorb the (relatively) high voltage spike but didn't know for sure. The charger has a separate Lithium mode which doesn't try to detect and desulfate (in addition to separate 12 V conventional lead-acid, AGM and 6 V modes).

I have the 2 head, so far so good. Didn't like buying the SAE to their style adaptor though.

I have the 2 head, so far so good. Didn't like buying the SAE to their style adaptor though.
I had not looked closely and didn't realize it wasn't SAE. I haven't opened the box yet. Where did you buy an adapter? I might just pick up two SAE plugs, cut the wire that goes to the battery clamps and splice in the plugs. 2 amps max so should be fine indefinitely. I suppose they used their own plug because it is waterproof.