Determined attempt to solve the ticking problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CherokeeKid

Reaction score
Decided to take control of the valve guide issue and move away form the Yamaha fix of replacing defective parts with new defective parts. So, at my expense I replaced the valve guides with custom Nickel Aluminum Bronze (AMPCO-45) guides, also replaced the exhaust valves with custom valves, both made by Kibblewhite Precision Machining. I did all the work myself except for the machine work on the cylinder head. This suited my nature for doing things myself rather than trust the work to some unknown mechanic. It took about two weeks to gather all the parts (custom guides and Yamaha parts), two days to tear down, four days for machine shop turn around, and three days to re-assemble. I did use the newest (2006) Yamaha valve seals.

After a five hundred mile shakedown period, I departed on a three week, 5,400 mile trip to the east coast. The bike worked flawless. Power is back and so is gas mileage. I check mileage at every fill up and recorded a low of 40 to a high of 49. The low was across the desert at high speed. Mileage was generally better at altitude.

My bike is an 05 and had 14,200 miles when I did the overhaul in May of 2006. It now has 21,000. Other engine mods to the bike before the overhaul include a Power Commander and de-catted exhaust.

Noticeable impressions after the re-build, engine valve train noise is much quieter and heat on my legs from the engine is cooler. The engine water temperature indicated on the instrument panel is slightly hotter. The temperature normally runs at two bars just as before but will more quickly move to three bars if slowing down for traffic or extreme outside temperature for extended period of time. My theory is that the new valve guides are conducting more heat into the head than the stock guides and thus increasing the water temperature. The new guides are 81% copper, 10% aluminum, 5% nickel and smaller portions of iron and magnesium. Both copper and aluminum are much better conductors of heat than the powdered metal of the stock guides.

I will be happy to share any info about the project and have pictures (not sure how to post to the forum site) of the work as it progressed. Only time and mileage will tell if this is the permanent fix. I certainly hope it is as I really like the FJR. It is the best all around bike I have owned.

Very interesting. Good on ya for trying something different. You didn't come out and say it, but you alluded to it - did you have a "ticker" where the valve guides were out of spec when you disassembled?

It will be interesting to find out on the 06 FJRs if Yammie's new seals will be the fix.

Power is back and so is gas mileage. I check mileage at every fill up and recorded a low of 40 to a high of 49. The low was across the desert at high speed.
I guess Skooter's bike must be a ticker then. Get it fixed and you won't need a fuel cell. Or maybe some people's definition of high speed differs from others'. :dntknw:

Latest posts