difference in size old Smuggler & new Smuggler? specs?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riko

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I was wondering IF there are any size differences or fitment differences between the old and the new Smuggler

Old smuggler:

Y-FJR-13-SMUG(0).jpg

New smuggler:

Y-FJR13-6-SMUG(0).jpg

Reason for asking is that it SEEMS that the new Smuggler might be bigger - bulkier than the old model and that could give issues with fitting it in combination with a particular seat I was looking at, French made, Top Sellerie:

3281.jpg

1166.jpg

1166.jpg

Very nice seats wich you can choose the colors and the materials of the different parts of the seat, heated or non heated, with or without gel High - Low - Stock hight and even Long - stock or Short lenght.

But I have no measurments unfortunately.

So its very customisable.

I like it because its not as expensive as a Corbin (corbin is about 3x expensive as this!
fool.gif
), and they offer the same extras + imo they look nicer than corbin seats.

Only issue is the fitment of that seat with a Corbin Smuggler because of that small backrest on the seat.

However I did found a Top Sellerie seat with a Corbin Smuggler.

001_610.jpg

But its an old model Smuggler, so the question remains if the new one would fit also fit.

their website: https://www.topsellerie.com/@EN-FR/YAMAHA-FJR-1300-seats-petrol-tank-covers-tank-bags-motorbike_8_367.htmlhttps://www.topsellerie.com/@EN-FR/YAMAHA-FJR-1300-seats-petrol-tank-covers-tank-bags-motorbike_8_367.html

So I guess my main question is if perhaps anybody here has such a Top Sellerie seat in combination with a Smuggler, preferable a new model? :)

But I guess not many have that seat to start with here in the US, so my secondary question is if somebody could tell me if there are huge fitment differences between the 2 smuggler types?

Thx a lot!

Riko

Hey Riko,

The differance between the two pics is:

The "old" one (on the silver bike) is a Gen 1 model. The "new" one is for the Gen 2 and I believe Gen 3 models. The seats are differant, so the smuggler will be likewise.

In either case I can't say if the smuggler would fit with that seat you're considering. (Those are some fine looking seats btw.)

And that's a pretty cool sidecar set-up with leading link forks on that silver Feejer.

Regarding the Gen 2 smuggler, I have used it with a stock, Sargent, and Corbin seats. Works the same with all and fits as it should. They do not interchange among the generations except for 2 and 3 as they use the same seat.

thx all!

I guess the only way to really find out is to test it in real life, hopefully when the time comes I just can find a Smuggler owner and ask him to try his Smuggler on my future bike with that seat, because I def. gonna buy that seat over the Smuggler if I had to choose one.

@FJR Pilot, here are 2 more pics, with a view of the side car attached:

https://www.fjr-passion-gt.com/t3128p30-recherche-coffre-de-rangement-corbin-selle-passager

BTW, does anybody know if that cushon can be removed on the latest Smuggler?

203626-cruiseguy-albums-cruiseguy-s-fjr-picture3770-2014-fjr1300a-corbin-smuggler-trunk.jpg

I guess I have the "new" smuggler on the 2013. If your going Corbin - what about just getting the front w/ the smuggler. I couldn't the imagine just the front in vinyl being that much more than the competitors.It's an off the shelf seat.

DSC00018_zpse7a7fd06.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I really dig those high resolution pics of your bikes :)

Can you tell me if the cushion bad on that Smuggler can be removed?

thx

I have the Topsellerie seat on gen 2, dimensionally they are exactly like OEM seats otherwise they would not fit to the locking mechanism. I guess it is the same with Corbin smuggler and front seat.

FTgItRb.jpg

Yes, that backrest pad can be easily removed, there are two small hex bolts on the inside. Will the Top Sellerie fit? Just depends on how far back that rear pillow on the seat is. It fits with my Laam seat, I would guess that the pillow if more forward and it may fit. See if you can get an exact measurement of the seat and compare it to stock.

3ef49b2a-c557-4e2c-b8e7-4911fdeed2ca.jpg

I have the Topsellerie seat on gen 2, dimensionally they are exactly like OEM seats otherwise they would not fit to the locking mechanism. I guess it is the same with Corbin smuggler and front seat.
FTgItRb.jpg

Yes I know that the dimensions are the same, you are talking about the bottom dimensions, where the seat attaches to the frame.

This is logical.

But I was wondering if that backrest of that Sellerie seat would intervene in using a Smuggler, and so it seems....so I was talking about the top dimensions of the Sellerie seat, that backrest.

got an answer from Top Sellerie

Hello,

For the last FJR 1300 (after 2006), we always cut a part of the passenger seat so that the rider seat with the backrest can be compatible.

As a consequence it would not be possible with the smuggler, whatever the shape option you choose.

Thank you in advance for your understanding.

Best regards,

Top Sellerie

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I see. But now that I think about it it sounds logical. Thanks for posting the answer from Top Sellerie. It was a smart move to ask from them first.