Do you ride with your Hard Bags?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can fit a six pack of long neck MGD's in each one and safely transport them home without breaking. That's reason enough for me to keep them on all the time.
+1 on the long necks. I've used mine many times for a couple six's on the way home from work. Bag of ice in one and a six of mgd in the other.

Bags off for just playing around, but I usually leave the top box on. The top box seems good for trip up to about 5 days, after that I start to carry too much and need the side bags. I too like the performance or feel with just the top box and it feel sportier. I also us a smuggler.

PerfectRide_2_190.jpg

Just my two cents. I live in upstate NY. I've put 500 miles more on my bike than all of my friends, because of the weather. I always bring along the liners for my gear. Temps change from 42 to 75 in one day and then back again. Another FJR owner told me that the ride is entirely different without the bags on though. But he also made it from Canandaigua to Spencerport (39 mi) in about 14 minutes. I think he may have been talking about just the high speeds. So I always ride with my cases on. And I think the troopers up here think you are going slower than you are with them on. I can see their brake lights on in my reviews but they never seem to turn around and chase me even though I am going a "little " over the limit :)

The only ride my hard bags have ever gotten on either of my two FJRs was home from the Stealership. As soon as I get them home I popped the reflectors (just for fun), tighten and loctite the latch screw then i wrap them in old sweatshirts and plastic bags and tuck them away in the garage.
i ride only with a tank bag or backpack. for camping I'll strap to the passenger seat.

i never planned on using them and figure i save lots of tire wear.

i guess i shoulda bought just an R1?

Although I ride with them on all the time, and even with two-up I experience nothing "sluggish" at all, I can't blame someone for wanting to ride without them cause the beast looks really good without the bags. Damn what a bike! Go for it!

I'm a sportbike guy.

About 6 years ago, I bought a Goldwing because I liked the convienience of the extra storage.

I rode the Goldwing pretty hard; I ground through 3 full sets of footpegs.

I had buyers remorse the WHOLE 6 years. Betweem my wife always commenting about my "Grandpa Wing", and my constant thoughts of putting racing stripes on it, I finally traded the 'Wing in on an '08 FJR a couple of months ago.

Honestly, on the Goldwing I never thought the bike was all that "unflickable" - especially for street use. I also have a DRZ400SM (which to me is super flickable), and a ZX-10R (which is "less flickable" - takes more time to heel over than the DRZ). I feel like the FJR with or without bags is not that far different than the 10 as far as flickablility. If I gave the DRZ a "10' for flickability, and the Goldwing a "1", I'd give the ZX-10 an "8", and the FJR a "7" (with or without bags I don't think makes a noticable difference).

You don't get nearly as much feedback from the road on the FJR. I wonder if some people here saying that the bike is more responsive are just noticing more "road noise". It seems to me like the extra weight would dampen road noise a little more. I fully believe at high speeds that the bags would make a difference (wind resistance), but I am dubious of claims that they make a noticeable difference in how the bike accellerates at regular road speeds. Maybe if you're always short-shifting, but its not like this bike is underpowered.

I can't see riding this bike at WOT and hitting redline before shifting on public roads on this bike, and not feeling like a complete hooligan - with or without the bags (although I did ride the Goldwing like that occasionally). If you blindfolded me and sat me down on this bike and told me it was a race replica 600, based on fast it accellerates, I don't think I'd say any different (that's also with or withot bags).

The huge difference between this bike and the Wing is that it has noticeably more leanover clearance than than 'Wing. I've added a Givi top case, and I have storage comparable to the 'Wing with the added benefit of being able to take the bags off and carry them (have your cake and eat it too).

I just want to through this out to the collective wisdom.When riding 2 up the bike was sluggish, well yeah, it's overloaded.

But I removed the Hard Bags to try and lighten the load.

To my surprise the handling improved 100%.

Empty the 2 bags weigh about 25 pounds, so that shouldn't affect the

handling that much.

I bought the FJR mainly because of the Hard Bags and the top Case.

But now I'm riding with only the top case, even when I'm riding solo.

The Bags are sitting in my Garage, and looking very sad. :rolleyes:

A year ago I saw a add for a FJR where the bike and the bags were being

sold seperately, the saler said the bags had never been used, that the bike

had always been riden without the bags. At the time I thought this was kinda

wierd, but I'm really geting a kick out of the bike without the bags.

So who else usually rides without the bags?
25 pounds? You kidd'n me! :clapping:

ATBATT here too.

As far as handling, a top box presents far more handling issues than side bags, especially if heavily loaded. Side winds will push it and the bike around. The weight is high up which adds to the roll inertia blah blah mentioned above. And the weight is well outside the wheelbase, which messes up suspension settings.

As for acceleration, side bags just don't weigh enough to make a difference that can be felt by the rider, although the drag race clock would register a small difference.

Probably the largest perceptible difference is the difference in sound level radiated from the mufflers which are wrapped by the bags. And of course humans perceive "louder" as "faster" (what I refer to as "Harley syndrome").

Note: All of the above is my opinion and absolutely backed up by 0 scientific facts!!

Pepperell

Hello, If there are any of you "04" FJR riders that always have the bags on, I would be interested in buying your "inserts". Just picked an '04 up and do like riding without the bags back and forth to work; unfortunately the bike didn't come with the inserts..... Thanks, Kevin

Hello, If there are any of you "04" FJR riders that always have the bags on, I would be interested in buying your "inserts". Just picked an '04 up and do like riding without the bags back and forth to work; unfortunately the bike didn't come with the inserts..... Thanks, Kevin
You can use the liners from any year, they're all the same - always seem to be some around, either here where I bought mine, (because Canadian bikes don't come with them) or on Ebay.

There are aftermarket ones as well - or, you can call Gary McKoy and order a brand new set from him. They aren't all that expensive.

I'd open a fresh thread with the topic:

WTD: Bag Liners

You'll find what you seek.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use the liners from any year, they're all the same - always seem to be some around, either here where I bought mine, (because Canadian bikes don't come with them) or on Ebay.

There are aftermarket ones as well - or, you can call Gary McKoy and order a brand new set from him. They aren't all that expensive.

I'd open a fresh thread with the topic:

WTD: Bag Liners

You'll find what you seek.
No dude, he's looking for the little color body insert things that go where the bags hang, not the liners.

I only use mine on overnight trips, but with or without they do not seem to be a hindrance to spirited riding. Then again, maybe my spirited riding is not as spirited as some of you others.

OMG! This Thread has risen from the dead... :lol:

I haven't ridden with the side bags in acouple of months, I did notice a difference so they are just sitting.

Besides they are both scratched and I'm embarrased to be seen with them on the bike. :(

I ride with the top box because I ride two up most of the time and Dippy would FREAK out if the box wasn't behind him.

I've found I like my tank bag better for holding small stuff rather than putting them in the Top Box, and the tank bag goes with

me when I get off the bike, and I don't have to go digging through the top box to find things.

I realize everything Pepperell says about weight placement is true, but I don't seem to have a problem with the top box, in

fact I have more of a problem with the VStream Wind shield buffering than the top box.

Yeah, to me the bags are just too handy to leave at home. And I always want to carry extra clothing, water, tire repair kit, etc. whenever I go anywhere. I've ridden with them off several times, but I didn't really feel much difference in the handling without them. Also, I think they look great on the bike. They really compliment the lines of the bike. The Givi trunk is great too, but I only use it on long trips, or riding two up.

No dude, he's looking for the little color body insert things that go where the bags hang, not the liners.
I stand corrected.

I've never stuck mine in, figuring the little tabs would break off anyway.

So they sit in my basement, in a box, wrapped in plastic. I'll give mine to the buyer of my bike when I sell it eventually and he can let them sit in the box too.

I actually have never rode with the bags off. Maybe ill try it . Its real easy to kick one lifting your leg over But i think i would miss them

I've never ridden without them. If I didn't have them I'd be constantly strapping stuff to the luggage rack. The only time I wish they weren't there is in particularly tight traffic conditions that make lane splitting difficult. But that happens only rarely.

The main reason I don't take them off is because they make the bike invisible to law enforcement. My primary defensive driving technique is to always ride about 5 mph faster than traffic. When I do this I find that I rarely, if ever, have to take evasive action when a cager decides he wants my spot. The fact that I usually ride faster than 5 mph (~10 - 20 mph) over the prevailing traffic, coupled with the fact that I haven't been issued a performance award in the last two years, has me convinced that the bags make the FJR invisible to LEOs.

In fact, my daughter called the local gendarmes to our abode early this year to take a report on some identity theft issue, and when the cop looked down our driveway and saw my FJR parked in front of my garage he asked my daughter what agency I was with. She said, "What?", and he asked again what agency I worked for. He obviously took the bike for one that an LEO would ride.

This knowledge may, however, prove to be unlucky for me. Because, you see, I now realize that not only do the bags make the bike invisible, the camouflage is active. It's active in that it changes the bike's appearance to match the expectation of the observer. It's true! How many times have the drivers in front of you suddenly slowed when they spot you in their mirror? And God help you if you're in a hurry and you've forgotten to turn off your other safety device, the flashing high beam. Drivers in front of you almost cause accidents in their haste to slow down to 60 mph when they see you coming with that thing on. Anyway, the active camouflage shows them what they want to see. And it's likely going to prove unlucky for me because, deep down inside, I know it's all just a fantasy that's going to make me less observant, the result of which will be another "performance award". Of course, the opposite could happen and it could cause me to be even more wary because I know that I'm becoming overconfident, (which is never a bad thing.) But life rarely works that way. It's certain now. I've disturbed the Karmic balance surrounding the bike and a performance award is now inevitable. And soon.

But I digress (I think).

And, again, no, I've never ridden the bike without the bags. I also own a 1989 FJR 1000 and used to race dirt bikes, and, based on the differences between them, it's my experience that the frame geometry of the bike has much more to do with how it handles than what accessories are hanging off of it.

IMHO, YMMV.

[EDIT: But none of this applies if the bike isn't a 2003 model with the Hallucinogenic Silver paint job.] (;-)>

Last edited by a moderator:
I rarely (accent on "rarely") ride my bike with the bags off. I find them way too handy and never a hindrance to performance.

Can't tell you about how handling differences with/without- I've only had mine on for 20 miles (dealership -> home), then they've sat on a shelf against the day I might sell it. Solo I'm good indefinitely with just the top case.

OTOH, I've talked to people that note a significant mpg difference between topbox / no topbox... probably best for a different thread.