Do you think I need a new tire yet?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danh600

Reaction score
IMG_4303-XL.jpg

Dan, how did that happen in Florida? Riding the clover leafs all the time???
Haha. No idea.

Actually I saw that bike at a service plaza on the Florida turnpike. A couple things came to mind. How did he use up the sides of the tires that much in Florida?

I was thinking maybe track days, but I doubt the guy was doing track days. The bike was in very poor condition.

The other thing is the service plaza is on a limited access turnpike. Who ever was on that bike had to ride it at high speed for quite a few miles to get there. There was no one in the plaza dressed in gear or carrying a helmet. So who ever was riding it was in heavy traffic on a free way in street clothes.

I just walked away shaking my head. I forgot to look and see what state it was tagged from. No bags on the bike so I assume it was local.

The rest of the bike looked about like the front tire.

He is riding it home after buying it from a craigslist ad that stated "Mint condition. Ready to ride, needs nothing."

Boy - in a summer shower, that bike would bring a whole new level to the term pucker factor.

Those are more than wear, looking close it looks like grinder marks or the poor bike was dragged sideways. I'm sure there is a nifty story about it.

Those are more than wear, looking close it looks like grinder marks or the poor bike was dragged sideways. I'm sure there is a nifty story about it.
Certainly a strange wear pattern, especially for a bike in Florida. However I do think it was actual wear marks, not dragging or something. They went all the way around the tire. They were in a pattern of left, right, left, right all the way around the tire. Left side being a little deeper. Space further apart then you normally see cupping patterns.

While the bike was in poor condition and dirty it only had a little road rash on one side. No evidence of a heavy wreck or being dragged.

It was really a mystery.

I don't think it was abandon. It's a very busy service plaza with police around. I doubt abandon vehicles stay there long.

If it would not have been 95 degrees I would have waited around for the rider and got the story.

You don't think....nah. Maybe. Did he use a belt sander to try to get rid of his chicken strips to look cool, and wasn't able to control it?

Shitty tires don't make shitty black wheels look any better on any bike.
Well thanks a lot.

While we are not caring about each other's feelings, how do you like my hair?

Actually, I usually like the silver wheels better but I think the black goes well with the sinister/stealth look of the '15 ES.

That really is a shame about the bike in the OP's post. That looks like a Bandit 1200S and that was a bike I lusted after. I really, really wanted one of those and by the time I could afford one, they were gone. I came Very Close to buying a 1250S brand new but went with the ST1300 instead. And instantly realized I was old.

Shitty tires don't make shitty black wheels look any better on any bike.
Well thanks a lot.

While we are not caring about each other's feelings, how do you like my hair?

Actually, I usually like the silver wheels better but I think the black goes well with the sinister/stealth look of the '15 ES.

That really is a shame about the bike in the OP's post. That looks like a Bandit 1200S and that was a bike I lusted after. I really, really wanted one of those and by the time I could afford one, they were gone. I came Very Close to buying a 1250S brand new but went with the ST1300 instead. And instantly realized I was old.
I think it's getting a little long, there on the sides. Time for a trim you tree hugging hippie bass-turd! HA! If yer gonna let it grow like that maybe you should move over to the left coast where you belong. Double HA! Actually my choices of hair styles is very similar to yours. I have fond memories of the wind blowing through my invisible hair.....

I'm not a fan of black wheels on a vehicle, even cars & trucks. There's just something about them that makes me cringe. Akin to being hungover, opening the fridge and taking in a big slug of milk straight from the jug only to find out it's sour. Black rims = blech!spew!barf! YMMV of course.