Does 2016 FJR1300A have Damping on REAR Shock?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShoopCE

Reaction score
Not an ES version. I am the second owner of this bike. The previous owner racked up 31,000 miles in just under two years. He maintained the bike nicely. He kept it in touring mode and I suspect that he didn't touch the fork settings because they were at the factory settings. I dialed up the fork settings after my first spirited ride. But I did not see any settings for the rear shock other than the Hard - Soft lever. The bike wallows BADLY. Either I have been pushing it harder or the shock is getting worse. It is not leaking. While considering replacing the rear shock, I bought an electronic copy of a service manual. The manual says the rear shock has a rebound adjustment knob. The factory setting is on the soft end of the scale - not much rebound suppression. So I would like to dial this up.

The drawing in the manual shows the Hard-Soft lever and seems to have a cylindrical knob just below it and to the right. It's not present on my bike. I don't see any reservoir or connection to the shock other than the cables for the hard-soft lever.

So, does this bike have a damping adjustment? Or has the shock simply failed?

Did the earlier bikes have a rebound adjustment that the manual publishers forgot to check on?

Thanks, 

Chris

Are you certain that the rear shock is stock? A picture may help people comment on your situation

On the stock non-ES shock, there is a knurled knob at the bottom of the shock that is just above the clevis that joins it to the relay arm.  This is the damping adjustment and setup is described in the owners manual.  Fully clockwise is minimum and fully counterclockwise is maximum.  Approximately 20 click span from fully soft to fully hard.

@RossKean  HA!!! You're right. Thank you!!!

The drawing for the rebound setting in the service manual is on the next page after the page with the text of the description. That page looked like it was dedicated to the ES version.

So I wondered why I didn't find it in the owner's manual. I went back to the electronic version and found that while it is an adobe pdf, it is image only and consequently the word search for "rebound" didn't find anything.  Interestingly, in that version the image for the rebound setting knob is also at the top of the page after the description.

Oh well. Now I can't wait to get home to see what the rebound is set at, and if I can get her to stop wallowing. 

Chris

Still wallowing. 

I suspect the shock is toast.

Anybody know why the websites do not list ANY shocks for the 2016? Perhaps not for any Gen 3's? I'm wondering if it is because the stock shock has that hard-soft adjustment lever. I'd happily do without that if I can get a shock that works. 

The hard/soft pre-load lever on the rear shock has been there for every year the FJR was produced.  Not truly a pre-load lever, it locks out or engages a secondary spring to change the spring rate.  Many folks around here seem to think the 2013+ rear OEM shock is pretty good and definitely better than previous versions.  So maybe yours is bad.  Kind of early though.  Regardless, the aftermarket makes some awesome shocks that are eager and waiting to deprive you of your dead presidents....

@RossKean  Yeah, I'd like to consider an aftermarket shock. I have an "A" version. 

But all of the online stores that I've looked at say that the Ohlins and other brands do not fit the 2016 FJR1300A. So I checked for a 2012, not that I have one, and they recommend an Ohlins STX46. Has something changed since 2012? Or will the shock be the same as the version for the 2012?

Thanks,

Chris

I have a Penske on my 2011.  I didn't think there was a change going to the Gen III A model but I don't know that for sure.  

To the best of my knowledge the rear shocks are interchangeable for all non-e models. I plan on using the wilburs  off my 04 when the stock on my 15 goes out. Probably ought to get it serviced while I don't need it, but it'll probably be a last second kind of deal as usual. 

Shocks interchange for all the GENs. The PNW gang has moved Penske's from '06 to '15A's w/o issue. The fancy GP reservoir mount even works on GEN IIIs, although clearance is tight with the redesigned passenger peg bracket. Going from a GEN I to a GEN II/III, consider an increase of one spring rate increment.

~G