Does anyone know how to reset the check engine light?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunhamg

Reaction score
I'm adding this to the technical/mechanical problems as it's probably a better fit than the farkle forum section.

I've got a PCIII installed and have had the O2 sensor unplugged for about 50,000 miles and now this past weekend the check engine light came on and the dash is showing a fault code of 24.

I have gone in to reset the codes. It showed that there were several codes and now it says that there is one fault code stored and I can't get that one to reset. In addition the light stays on.

Diag 60 and 61 both read 00, but diag 62 says 1 this doesn't change after flipping the kill switch off and on per the reset instructions.

Thanks for any additional help in this matter.

I understand from the OFF position, you need to flip the switch to ON, then back to OFF again; that should do the trick. BEFORE firing up the engine, confirm the deletion by getting into the diagnostic mode again.

If it's reset but throws the same code when you fire up the engine, you'll have to connect a resistor to the O2 sensor leads to fool the ECU that it's connected; the value should be listed on the service manual. Good luck.

JC

Last edited by a moderator:
dunhamg (Grady, aint that you? Where you been, and where's that crazy photo of you and your bride on the FJR?) - welcome to the club. It's a small club, but I am guessing membership will increse as time goes on. As you can see HERE, you're not the first. And everybody will try to tell you that your statistically insignificant or that you are a baaaaad fjr owner. As you can see, I have issues, but I am seeking therapy.................

As for your problem, I am the resident expert (also on black rock playa ballet) as "the condition" happens to my fjr on the regular basis.

First of all, do you have a shop manual? It ain't exactly crystal clear, but it will tell you how to reset the error code. If you don't let me know, and I will painstakingly reproduce all pertitent instructions for you.

Basically, you need to plug the O2 sensor back together, then run a 'reset' procedure, which involves running the engine above 3000 rpm (or something like that) until the error code resets. Then all will be copacetic and you can unplug the O2 sensor again. Until the next time it happens. Which on mine is happening ever more frequently.

BTW, did your error show up during, or shortly after, a high speed run? That's when mine likes to trip.

dunhamg (Grady, aint that you? Where you been, and where's that crazy photo of you and your bride on the FJR?) - welcome to the club. It's a small club, but I am guessing membership will increse as time goes on. As you can see HERE, you're not the first. And everybody will try to tell you that your statistically insignificant or that you are a baaaaad fjr owner. As you can see, I have issues, but I am seeking therapy.................
As for your problem, I am the resident expert (also on black rock playa ballet) as "the condition" happens to my fjr on the regular basis.

First of all, do you have a shop manual? It ain't exactly crystal clear, but it will tell you how to reset the error code. If you don't let me know, and I will painstakingly reproduce all pertitent instructions for you.

Basically, you need to plug the O2 sensor back together, then run a 'reset' procedure, which involves running the engine above 3000 rpm (or something like that) until the error code resets. Then all will be copacetic and you can unplug the O2 sensor again. Until the next time it happens. Which on mine is happening ever more frequently.

BTW, did your error show up during, or shortly after, a high speed run? That's when mine likes to trip.

Man, SG is right on the money. Exactly the same circumstances that my "code 24" showed up. North of 120 with O2 sensor disconnected and PCIII. Reset procedures as described. Guess I'll have to keep it below triple digits if I don't want the C/E, 24 code coming on all the time.

LC

Man, SG is right on the money. Exactly the same circumstances that my "code 24" showed up. North of 120 with O2 sensor disconnected and PCIII. Reset procedures as described. Guess I'll have to keep it below triple digits if I don't want the C/E, 24 code coming on all the time.

LC
Yep, this is Grady. I definitely haven't been getting in as much riding the past couple years, been a bit busy building a house and a barn and getting settled here in Iowa. Jill hasn't been up to riding at all this year, as pregnacy has not been kind to her at all. We're expecting in Dec.

I don't have the service manual, but found the instructions for reseting the error codes on this forum. But, obviously that didn't take care of the light and the number 24 fault.

This happened on a ride out to Devils Tower last weekend and you guessed it, it happened right as I was just about topped out and all of a sudden that light came on and I thought something serious had happened. I was wondering if I would end up using my warranty after all for something other than the TPS that I replaced last year.

Thanks for the help on this one.

The ECU will not allow a code erasure if it still detects the error that set the code (and light) in the first place. Until the fault is corrected the code and light will remain.

Reminds me of the story about the last Camaro: when the ECU gets a signal from the knock sensor it retards the ignition timing a pre-set amount. The ECU won't allow full advance until the fuel filler door is opened (activating a micro-switch) -- thus assuming the driver has 'sweetened' the fuel supply with higher octane. (allegedly...) :huh:

The ECU will not allow a code erasure if it still detects the error that set the code (and light) in the first place. Until the fault is corrected the code and light will remain.
DING-DING-DING We have a winner, err, sorry, [SIZE=12pt]GUNNY![/SIZE]

Now the question, does anyone have an idea why it took 50,000+ miles for this error to show up? It's seen many high speed runs in that 50,000 miles so that's not the answer.

Just wondering if anyone has a good explanation for this phenomenon.

Grady Dunham

Now the question, does anyone have an idea why it took 50,000+ miles for this error to show up? It's seen many high speed runs in that 50,000 miles so that's not the answer.
Just wondering if anyone has a good explanation for this phenomenon.

Grady Dunham
I don't have the foggiest! However, The head Yamaha Guru at WFO-6 had this explanation (Possible explanation I should say and I'm paraphrasing something I really don't understand so take it for what it's worth.). He indicated that the ECU measured several "parameters" (voltages?) having to do with "the Oxygen Sensor". It wasn't just measuring (looking) for and open circuit or completed circuit (short). His theory was that perhaps some of the additional electrical wiring was leading to transient voltages being generated back through the "0xygen sensor" circuitry. These transient voltages might trigger a "code" in the ECU. (He did say this was "often" the cause of "problems" with ECU codes, etc. i.e. aftermarket wiring.) I did notice that when the check engine light came on the lights seemed to "dim" at the same time (instantly and only momentarily). (Voltage drop? Part of the cause..or part of the effect?) As far as I know I have not tapped into ANY existent OEM circuitry except the Headlight relay which turns the headlight on after the engine starts. All new circuits, both +12v and ground are run directly from their respective battery post in their own wiring loom. I did combine some ground wires in the tail of the bike as I also added 6 direct circuits that didn't run through the Blue Seas box. (So, I have 6 direct and 6 switched circuits available for use.) I don't think this should be a problem because all the grounds in the Blue Seas box are "connected" to a common bus.

I do have the PCIII going directly to the battery posts as that was per their instructions. I also have the MCcruise ground wire going directly to the negative post of the battery. Pretty "clean" installation. However, perhaps somehow I'm generating "transient" voltages that are interpreted by the ECU (in addition to having the sensor unplugged) as a "sensor problem".

Just his guess...but then he's supposed to be the expert. Way above my pay grade (not to mention the 33+ years since I learned Radio theory for my Extra class ham license)... Strange, if you don't use it you lose it.. Not that I REALLY understood all that stuff anyway. Passing a test is easy... Understanding it takes work! Not my favorite pastime.

So, there. You know all that I know and you may even understand it. YMMV. I will be resetting (after reconnecting the oxygen sensor) the code as per the SM. I will then unhook the oxygen sensor and see if it happens again. Perhaps it will be necessary to put a resister and/or capacitor bridge across the disconnected oxygen sensor circuit to let the ECU "see" what it wants to see. Again, I'll leave it so someone that really knows what their doing to come up with the circuit and or values. That's why I love this place....Someone will come up with the right answer and I can just ride til then! :yahoo: :clapping:

LC

I had my PCIII USB fitted and when I got home I rang the fitters to confirm that they'd disconnected the o2 sensor - they said they hadn't, so I disconnected it myself. As soon as I started the bike, I got the yellow engine warning light on and when I stop the engine I get an error code showing "11"

Any ideas???

Having just unhooked the O2 last night, can anyone confirm that on the 06-07, the O2 plug is 4-wire, not 2-wire like the writeup on Warchild's FJR1300Tech.com shows on the Gen I bike pictured there?

Now MadDogMcQ has me nervous.

can anyone confirm that on the 06-07, the O2 plug is 4-wire, not 2-wire like the writeup on Warchild's FJR1300Tech.com
The Gen II O2 sensor does indeed have four wires and the connectors themselves are black. Wire colors, one side of the connector: Red/blue; gray/white; black/blue; black. Other side of the connector the colors are black; white; blue; black.

Whew, thanks. Got the right one. It seemed to be the only candidate, but I was looking at Warchild's website on my iPhone while sitting there looking at my own bike going "um, that ain't the same plug, but it's GOTTA be it".

I know now, that I unplugged the wrong one and from this wiring diagram I can see exactly which connector I should have unplugged. It's a different shape altogether..... I undid No.46 instead of No.45

o2Sensor.jpg