Does anyone own Bohn-Armor-Pants

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skifrik

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting these pants and maybe the shirt too. But before I laid out $300, I thought I'd see if anyone here any knowledge or experience with these.

Clicky

I looked at the Bohn, but the magazine reviews all liked the Forcefield, so I went that direction. I bought the standalone back protector and chest protector, in hindsight, I would probably go with just the back protector and maybe in the shirt form. Didn't do the pants. Ordered online from Johnson Leather (US distributor).

Forcefield is incredibly comfortable, compared to the stiffness of the Bohn. The magazine reviews seemed to think their technology made them more protective.

armor-2.jpg

I have the pants I wear them in the summer under jeans. It seems pretty well made but still pretty pricey. The CE armor is nice and the pads are in the right places for impact points. I didn't bother with the shirt as I wear a jacket.

I have a pair and wear them in the summer all the time, under kevlar jeans. Very comfortable. I got mine on the cheap buy buying a not-in-the-package pair. It's nice to have the impact/armor protection without bulky overpants. My one and only complaint is that the zipper cuff on the ankle can get uncomfortable when my boots press against it.

I have the Bohn pants also but like others have said, I wear an armour jacket so no need for the top. I find them comfortable and can wear them under my regular jeans or my kevlar jeans no problem.

I have both the Bohn underarmour pants and their bright orange and black top jacket with elbow, shoulder, and back protectors. In the heat of the summer, the top garmet lets all the air in and through. The under pants fit nicely under loose jeans or other loose fitting pants. Each to his own. There may be something better out there now, but Ive been pleased.

Statistics point to the fact that the two most injured parts of the body in a crash are the knees and shoulders. It just makes sense to keep them protected best we can. I've been down without pads and know first hand how the asphalt feels against my baby soft skiin...it sucks and hurts and I dont EVER want to feel that again! So I rarely ride without some kind of knee protection and always ride with some kind of upper padded jacket that fits the temperature at the time. I've moved away from leather for the most part, because it gets hot in hot weather, cold in cold weather, and you get wet in the rain. The only thing it has going for it is abraision resistance. Great for the track, but not good touring when you are running in and out of the rain. Regardless of what brand you choose......wear it!

I have a pair and wear them in the summer all the time, under kevlar jeans. Very comfortable. I got mine on the cheap buy buying a not-in-the-package pair. It's nice to have the impact/armor protection without bulky overpants. My one and only complaint is that the zipper cuff on the ankle can get uncomfortable when my boots press against it.

I have a really nice pair of Diamond Gusset kevlar jeans (loose fit) and the Bohn long pants. I've never worn either of them.... I keep putting on my normal stuff to ride. Old dog, new habit thing. :unsure:

I have a summer and winter set. They work and are pretty comfortable. Protected my hip very well when I had my tip over. They fit well under regular jeans.

I wear the pants in the summer under jeans and they're very comfortable. Don't use the shirt as I always were a jacket. They were pricey but I think they're worth it.

After considering the Bohn-Armor,I went with the Forcefield underarmor pants..They have been very comfortable in both hot and cold temperatures under jeans and the lycra fabric feels great.They were pricey but comfort,protection and quality appear top notch after one year of use.

Got the Bohn pants this past Christmas. Have only been able to wear them when its cold out, but they are comfortable and fit under my jeans with no problems. I did notice that my knees were the only parts to ever feel cold when I rode in the winter. With the armor on, the knee pads kept my knees nice and warm.

I've had a pair of these for two years now (Bohn pants). I choose the lowers (pants) since I already had what I felt was a significant amount of protection /armor in my jacket.

My experiences have definitely matched the previous comments from those who have them; I would add that they do add some warmth during warmer weather (I have the lighter weave version) but nothing intolerable with an upside that they do help keep you warmer in lower temperatures. Easy fit under almost all of my jeans. Definitely provide a lot more protection to my lower half than nothing!

At the end, wearing any of these products will be a lot better than not, if & when you find yourself needing them. I definitely endorse these and all like them.

:angry2: I bought a pair of the pants the beginning of 08 and tried to wear them three times. They SUCK. As a previous poster noted, "My one and only complaint is that the zipper cuff on the ankle can get uncomfortable when my boots press against it." That is the understatement of the year. I could not wear them for more than half and hour and then they rubbed raw spots on my lower leg. My wife has agreed to try to replace the zipper, but I think for that price, one should not have to modify gear. She has not done it yet as I bought a pair of mesh pants that I wear in the summer.

If you are interested in getting some, contact me. I will check what size mine are. I will sell them at a greatly reduced price if they are the size you need. I hate doing that, but it is better than being unused and collecting dust in my closet.

Sredder

05 ABS

02 FZ1

99 ST1100

:angry2: I bought a pair of the pants the beginning of 08 and tried to wear them three times. They SUCK. As a previous poster noted, "My one and only complaint is that the zipper cuff on the ankle can get uncomfortable when my boots press against it." That is the understatement of the year. I could not wear them for more than half and hour and then they rubbed raw spots on my lower leg. My wife has agreed to try to replace the zipper, but I think for that price, one should not have to modify gear. She has not done it yet as I bought a pair of mesh pants that I wear in the summer.
If you are interested in getting some, contact me. I will check what size mine are. I will sell them at a greatly reduced price if they are the size you need. I hate doing that, but it is better than being unused and collecting dust in my closet.

Sredder

05 ABS

02 FZ1

99 ST1100

I've been wearing the Bohn armor pants for 3 years now and although I find them a little warm to wear in the heat of summer, I like the protection they provide. I tried some armor mesh pants from Tourmaster and they were cool but the armor "floated" around too much to offer any real protection.

Does anyone know of some good mesh pants that I could wear over my Bohns? jevers

skifrik, I've been using the Adventure pants for several years now and also have the shirt but as others mentioned I don't wear the shirt because my jackets are armored up. The shirt IMO would be good to wear under a leather jacket without armor or even a sweatshirt. As some other's mentioned the pants are somewhat warm in the summer but the shirt is not and I haven't tried their mesh version pants though.

The pants work mainly for those who like to wear jeans without the bulkyness that most other riding pants offer. I have found no issues with the zippers on the legs as some others mentioned. I wear different types of boots with these too. I have found the armor areas to create some disscomfort on the skin after many hours of wearing and don't reccomend these for very long distance, but this is just me.

The real plus side of the Adventure pants are the armor is in all the right places and "very" few other manufactures put sufficient armor in the hips and especially the tailbone area which IMO is most important to be protected and is what I like about the Bohns. Right now I also have a full set of Cycle Port full mesh gear and while I think this is the best gear made, the CP pants don't offer up sufficient armor for the hip and tailbone. So I'm in the process of ordering a set of Adventure shorts without the armor and plan to use the armor from the Adventure pants for the hip and tailbone in the shorts to wear under the Cycle Port pants. This will fully protect me.

The armor in the Bohn products is middle of the road quality but sufficient. According to Wayne at Cycle Port the most impacted areas on a rider is the thigh area which when impacted by another vehicle is usually the point of impact. So use the thigh armor if you get the pants. I hope this helped in your decession. But whatever you decide, ATGATT. Be safe, PM. <>< ;)

Last edited by a moderator: