Doing a Fly and Rent, Which Bike should I Rent?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moon Man

Reaction score
I got the go ahead to go out and visit some relatives in Palm Springs before our third child is due. I don't have the time to ride out there so i am going to fly in and do a 3-day rental through eaglerider.

I obviously have the FJR already, my dad who will be coming with has a Triumph Thunderbird 1600 so I have some cruiser experience. I ride spirited but sane.

Here are the bikes to choose from (prices are 3 day rentals):

1. Any Harley, I sort of like the road glide (420)
  2. Sportster 883 (282)
  3. Goldwing (465)
  4. ST 1300 (372)
  5. BMW R1200 GS (465)
  6. BMW R1200 RT (465)
  7. Piaggio MP3 400 (255)

Things to keep in Mind:

• Storage is Good, which is bad for the GS and the Sportster
  • Weather protection is good too, we will be riding warm desert and snowy mountains
  • I am leaning toward the ST1300, RT, or Road Glide

What would you choose and why?

I vote for the Piaggio.

Remember, scooters are like...........fun to ride till your friends see you on one. Don't let your friends see you! :tease:

Seriously though, the RT or the ST. Given the prices, probably the ST unless you had a hard on to try the Bimmer.

I've rented the R1200RT and it was an absolute blast to ride. The wheezing boxer doesn't have the get up & go of an FJR but the handling was wonderfully neutral and I was tearing up the twisties with full confidence within an hour in the saddle.

I used to ride a goldwing so I wouldn't rent one, especially after being used to the FJR. I cannot recommend the BMW enough.

good luck and enjoy

When are you gonna be here?

I would say 4-5 or 6

R
Sometime Mid March or very early April. There will be three of us. Should i shoot you a PM when I know the dates?

I was planning on doing a day of 243, a day of s6 and s7 (palomar), and then a third day of who knows what, maybe a salton sea/joshua day. If you have input on roads in the area, let me know.

I think I'd go with the Hondapotamus. It'll save you some money, storage is good, that V-4 mill is a marvel and when you get back to the Feej, you'll be in heaven.

Sounds like a fun trip.

Make sure you get the added insurance. My brother in-law dropped a harley out west and it cost him a bundle.

I like the GS. You should be able to get it with bags. Many of the outfitters have bags for them. If you can't get the bags then the RT is cool but the motor feels a tractor motor after riding the FJR.

definitely send me a PM when you know the dates...

There are some really fun roads in the area and the best fish and chips i have had in a looooooong while.

R

"Which Bike should I Rent?"

For $90 ~ $183 / day -- less (motorcycles); $270 ~ $579 (3-day), I'd rent the Sporty and 'ride-the-piss-out-of-it'.

Harleys are real fun to "beat-on"... :blink: ;)

Make sure you get the added insurance. My brother in-law dropped a harley out west and it cost him a bundle.
Thanks for the information on the insurance, I will take a close look. I guess there would be little chance that my current cycle insurance would cover anything?

Are you sure you can't get bags for the GS? The GS is definitely the one I would go with. It's a blast to ride. 2nd choice would be the RT. Another great bike as long as you don't have to buy and maintain it yourself. My 3rd choice would be the ST1300. I've always wanted to try one. But not too much.

I think I'd go with the Hondapotamus. It'll save you some money, storage is good, that V-4 mill is a marvel and when you get back to the Feej, you'll be in heaven.
Sounds like a fun trip.
LOL on the Hondapotamus, have not heard that one. I am leaning toward it. Though beating the piss out of an 883 sounds like fun too.

Are you sure you can't get bags for the GS? The GS is definitely the one I would go with. It's a blast to ride. 2nd choice would be the RT. Another great bike as long as you don't have to buy and maintain it yourself. My 3rd choice would be the ST1300. I've always wanted to try one. But not too much.
I think I am going to play the cheap route and do the ST, though i have promised myself that if they don't have one i will go for one of the beemers, and with all the fire roads out there it would probably be the GS.

I called the insurance company today and they are checking with their underwriters on whether or not my normal coverage covers rentals.

More info and ride pics in the coming weeks. If i rent the hondapotamus I will definitely post a comparo.

I would rent the Road Glide :dribble: and then you know never to buy one! I actually had to buy two of the darn things and went back to a FJR both times. Really makes you appreciate the FJR. I am one of the very slow learner's!

As a former owner of a ST1300 if you "hug" the gas tank be prepared for a warm ride. My '06 ST1300 was a completely different animal past 95 F than the FJR. One you almost tolerate riding and the other riding is still fun.

For me I would see if you could get bags for the GS. That bike would be a blast.

Don't know anything about the other bikes. Cruisers are not my preference though.

I have flown and rented a Gold Wing 2 times. If your looking for storage and comfort it can't be beat. As for handling it does quite well, better than most people think. I kept up with the FJR boys just fine in the hills around LaCrosse at CFO last fall and enjoyed the long back to Mn via Copper Harbor. I do remove my visor behind the huge windscreen. (great for rain riding). I put 2,550 miles on it in 6 days

If your looking for great handling with moderate storage then the BMW 1200 RT. At 5'7" on a good day I find the Beemers a bit tall but they can really handle in the twistys.

Whatever you get, buy the BEST extra insurance they offer. Much cheaper than if something happens, cause they will soak you for repairs which I think you have to pay for and battle out with your own ins co. The rental place will have your credit card info and "you ain't leaving town without paying." Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rent an FJR from Chapparal motorsports. It is close to palm springs. And let us know when your in town there are alot of us in the area that can show you around.

clicky

Last edited by a moderator: