• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Doug Hines 06 Riser Fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first 30 sets of risers shipped in June had no failures that I am aware of and if so please let me know.
Well, I got a set of the risers in June; I didn't have a stud break, but I *did* have a cap screw break. It started to strip at less than 23Nm, then broke in half while catching the bike to save it from a parking lot tip-over. I removed the risers, sourced a new cap screw from a local heavy equipment supplier, and sold them. No offense, but not impressed...

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug,

Don't be so hard on yourself... you're out there trying to make something to help others, and there's always a learning curve with new products. Nobody is perfect, well, there was that one guy, but they nailed him to a cross... anyway, thanks for supporting the FJR community...

Doug Hines is a man of his word - how rare is that these days? As proof I offer:

1. The original batch was advertised and sold as X dollars. Later, Doug incurred additional manufacturing cost yet honored his original price.

2. Some studs, due to manufacturing process, have broken. Doug is replacing not only those studs but all studs in that batch.

I say cut the guy some slack. He's just an average joe, could be you or me, trying to help out the community with neat products and perhaps even make a buck for additional farkles.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

Doug Hines is a man of his word - how rare is that these days? As proof I offer:1. The original batch was advertised and sold as X dollars. Later, Doug incurred additional manufacturing cost yet honored his original price.

2. Some studs, due to manufacturing process, have broken. Doug is replacing not only those studs but all studs in that batch.

I say cut the guy some slack. He's just an average joe, could be you or me, trying to help out the community with neat products and perhaps even make a buck for additional farkles.

I have not read anything from him that brings his integrity into question. All I have read is how he will do what it right. I plan on buying a set when all this blows over, and to give him time to maybe catch up.

Mike

Doug Hines is a man of his word - how rare is that these days? As proof I offer:1. The original batch was advertised and sold as X dollars. Later, Doug incurred additional manufacturing cost yet honored his original price.

I think he is a man of his word, for both reasons listed. I was not able to reach him when I had problems with my cap screw; I think he was out of town when I PM'd him, then the board got hacked and I'm guessing my message got ate before he could see it. Still, frustrating when I had to find my own source for a new bolt. Even more frustrating when I had to disassemble the entire handlebar mounting contraption so I could get the damn nut out of the bracket underneath the triple-clamp, so I could drill out the broken bolt. A PITA, and resulted in a fair number of scratches in my fairing as I had to remove the triple clamp and have both bars hanging loose, and with all that stuff floating around I didn't realize until later that one of the towels I put down to protect the fairing had shifted, resulting in the right bar coming into direct contact with the fairing. Not his fault at all, but had the bolt not broken none of this would be an issue, and I wouldn't have to repair my fairing. I don't question his integrety, just his choice of sourced parts. I don't think an M8 bolt should break in half just from catching the bike to keep it from tipping over.

I agree there's nothing wrong with trying to make a buck; make no mistake, he's not just 'helping out the community', he's trying to make a profit by meeting an observed need, hence the reason for his multiple patents on his ideas. That's the way business works, and I have no problem with that. And the quality of the risers themselves was fine; it was the mounting hardware that I had issues with. I had them on, found them to be okay in regards to riding position, but had problems with the mounting hardware, so got rid of them. I think it's great that people are designing farkles for the '06 FJR's, and don't want anyone to think I'm discouraging entrepeneurs; and I think it's great that Doug is working hard to make up for the problems with the mounting hardware, which again shows his integrety. I would just encourage any other entrepeneurs to make sure their stuff passes muster before selling it.