Driver backrest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shokdimn

Reaction score
Has anybody out there seen or used one of these Backup USA Driver Backrests? I just saw one advertised on Ebay and called the dealer. Couldn’t get a picture of one on a FJR. But they did send me an info sheet.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BAKUP-DRIVE...1QQcmdZViewItem

Think I may have also "just" found them on the CeeBailey’s site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well known and high quality. They've been making the Bakups for BMW for years.

I've got an LT and think I may get one for it.

Yeah, it looks good. I’d like to see one on an FJR. I was thinking how nice that might be if I did a LDT this summer and had one of those.

I just purchased a Bakup Backrest on ebay and it does not fit my '06. I thought it was strange the way it was listed being the '06 is a second generation. Listing is "Yamaha Fjr 2003-2006 Bakup Driver Backrest". I talked to the manufacturer and he said I need to get one for the '07 model and it will go right on. Strained my brain trying to figure out how to make it fit and just wanted to let anyone interested know and save some misery.

So it's not a simple 10 minute quick add on that can be put on or off for different riding? I'd like to know as the one for the '07 is about $75 more.

...I talked to the manufacturer and he said I need to get one for the '07 model and it will go right on...
MFR is full of caca.
The manufacturer is an idiot. You need to get a refund based on the fact that he misled you. Anyone who knows anything about FJRs know 2003 to 2005 are generation 1 bikes. 2006 and on are Generation 2 bikes. Lots of parts are not interchangeable, including seats due to design changes.

Besides, why are you looking for a backrest for the rider? The forward lean will make it obsolete anyway. Don't waste money.

Fitting a bakup to my 04 it "almost" fits as I got it but the seat isn't latching down. Some hard to see clearance issues. Guess I would say the fit is "close but not quite right". Wonder if anyone else has a bakup on a 1st gen that might be willing to share how it works and if you did a bit of tweaking to get it "right"? and what that was? My back ain't great, needs that "little extra" back there for a long run specially on the slab. Kinda mapping out 4k miles to go see the eclipse in WY in August.

Can't help directly with the backrest but Gen Is, my old '04 included, were known to have fickle seat latches now and then. Sometimes downward force* was needed on the driver's seat, like putting all your weight on one knee into it, before being able to turn the key.

*Caution here. Almost deleted this as I'd hate for you to force the seat on then have issues getting it off. Those keys can break. A lot of help huh?
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a help Ogre! I noticed the hard to latch thing, hardly unique to the FJR the RSV has several how videos and work arounds on seat latching! This one latches pretty easy til the bracket is put on. Still messing with it. The side bolts are rather short so I got some longer m5s and will cut them to length with the backrest tabs on them. May metal sleeve the plastic tabs those bolts also hold in place so they don't crack. Already flap disk sanded and buffed away sharp edges on the stainless steel bakup bracket. Suspect a bit of trimming of seat pan or bracket will be needed before I'm done. I see now the bracket is designed to pivot with the center bolt loosened a bit to remove/install the passenger seat.

Good options. I think I'll wait until there's an option for a top case mount that "hovers" over the rear seat, doubling as a backrest. A member here created one.

I realize I'm not that tall at 5'10" but I am surprised that a driver backrest would be helpful. I have the bars back about as far as they will go without extending some lines or cables and my back would probably barely touch a backrest if at all. This bike is a sport touring bike not a cruiser. I would think if someone is that tall where they could use a driver backrest then it would seem like their legs would be extremely cramped. Just my observation