Driving lights that draw only 1 Watt!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

un4gvn

Reaction score
I have been looking for an inexpensive alternative to driving lights. The obvious is going with an HID setup, but they are pretty pricey. The standard 55w driving lights I have now just draw too much power. So I started searching for alternatives and stumbled across H3 style replacement bulbs that convert them to high power LEDs. I bought a pair off ebay and plan to install them into my existing driving lights. The great part is they only draw 1 watt! Hopefully they produce enough light too, If this works out it seems like a no brainer for anyone that may be concerned about the capacity of their charging system. I will install them, take some pics, and post a review when they arrive.

Example:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H3-1WATT-LE...sspagenameZWDVW

Let me reach in my pocket.... and pull out.... what is this???? It's a...

SHENANIGANS CARD!!

Sorry dude, 1W ain't gonna light the crack of your ass!! Gotta love the title which says "Xenon White HID"!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That's a riot.

Anyway, let us know how it works out for ya! Oh, and watch the battery strain if you double up on these power mongers: 2W is really gonna tax your charging system :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

-BD

I know i know, it's a strech and I am also sceptical but I got a pair for $20 shipped. I am interested to see if it does any good.

I know i know, it's a strech and I am also sceptical but I got a pair for $20 shipped. I am interested to see if it does any good.
I hope they work out to be good lights but... the phrase "no such thing as a free lunch" keeps popping up in my head. Let us know how they work.

Ouch! It surprises me JCWhitney hasn't beaten these hucksters to the punch.

Although I'm sure they are going to be very bright to you...I will guess you'll be lucky to get 20 or lumens out each 1 watt light. Even if you get 50 lumens....that may be efficient...but it's only 50 lumens. At ~1200 lumens for a 55 watt halogen or ~2000 lumens for a 38 watt HID they're going to be closer to parking lights than driving lights.

In fact, they may be comparable to these suckers...which tend to be brighter than at least the parking lights and proportionally would be 5 times as bright.

Good luck though....maybe we need to do a side-by-side comparo with some Solteks or FF50's. ;)

I've toyed with some of the high-wattage LEDs, and those suckers are BRIGHT! (as LEDs go). Still no comparison to HID, at least not a single 1watt LED, or a pair for that matter.

I can say from experience that ~15 *good* 1watt LEDs will throw something of a light beam, though.

As to the quality of the product you're looking at... :dntknw:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been looking for an inexpensive alternative to driving lights. The obvious is going with an HID setup, but they are pretty pricey. The standard 55w driving lights I have now just draw too much power. So I started searching for alternatives and stumbled across H3 style replacement bulbs that convert them to high power LEDs. I bought a pair off ebay and plan to install them into my existing driving lights. The great part is they only draw 1 watt! Hopefully they produce enough light too, If this works out it seems like a no brainer for anyone that may be concerned about the capacity of their charging system. I will install them, take some pics, and post a review when they arrive.
Example:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H3-1WATT-LE...sspagenameZWDVW
I was under the impression that the stock FJR charging system produced enough juice to run a pair of driving lights and heated grips and clothing :unsure:

"I was under the impression that the stock FJR charging system produced enough juice to run a pair of driving lights and heated grips and clothing "

Not heated grips...I am talking about clothing (vest etc..). I have the Driving lights, JM comm setup, Garmin, Xm radio, Heated grips, and heated vest and together it is just too much for the stock electrical system.

"I was under the impression that the stock FJR charging system produced enough juice to run a pair of driving lights and heated grips and clothing "
Not heated grips...I am talking about clothing (vest etc..). I have the Driving lights, JM comm setup, Garmin, Xm radio, Heated grips, and heated vest and together it is just too much for the stock electrical system.
Gen II..probably not a problem. Gen I.....heated grips, vest, and driving lights......probably a problem.

BTDT. While the FJR should easily handle driving lights, the FZ6 cannot. I installed auxiliary driving lights on my FZ and killed the battery in two days. Changed the bulbs with LEDs. They still add a small bit of function by adding to the "be seen" ability of the bike, but they don't light up much of nothing. Lumens are weak. I wouldn't even compare these to a decent flashlight.

But LEDs produce the fastest light.

With all the new technology coming out for the new vehicles on the market, LED lighting is one of the most exciting innovations. Automotive LED light produces more intense light. LED light travels faster and farther then any ordinary automotive light. Consume at least 10 times less power then regular bulbs and have a much longer life spends, which means you can save more money.

https://www.amazon.com/Focus-Super-Intensit...478&sr=1-96

LED light travels faster and farther then any ordinary automotive light.
Can I have some of what you're smokin'?
Now that's interesting.

Seems we now have two different sets of physics? Slow light vs. Fast light? Hmmm? :blink: My junior high science teacher would love to know about this ....

I'm not sure what's being smoked is recoverable from ....... but then, I suppose this is just another P.T. Barnum moment, eh?

Can I have some of what you're smokin'?
Oh, c'mon. Somebody comes up with an invention that alters the known laws of the physical universe and all you guys want to do is whine about it. Sheesh.

... Slow light vs. Fast light? Hmmm? :blink: ...

I think the idea trying to be conveyed might be "these lights illuminate faster". If you see two cars with turn signals on, one incandescent, the other LED, the LED does illuminate faster. I don't know if that really is a selling point for driving lights.

However, if you want something to catch the cages attention, how about a set of THESE

led_strobe_large.gif