E- Shift On 2006

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRSANDIEGO

Reaction score
In slow situations, I often disengage the clutch to modulate speed, usually in 1st or 2nd gear. I wonder how is the e shift going to work in this situation?

In slow situations, I often disengage the clutch to modulate speed, usually in 1st or 2nd gear. I wonder how is the e shift going to work in this situation?
Well, that's the $64,000 question, isn't it? Clutch control on a motorcycle at slow speeds is more critical than in a car which may only lurch a little where a motorcycle may lurch and fall over.

Still, scooters have automagic clutches... Time (and test rides) will tell, I guess.

I was wondering the same thing man, but we’ll have to wait and see. I’m waiting to see the things like a stuck throttle situations, engine braking and fast up/down shifting. If 1st is like a car then being stopped on hill would actually be easier than with a clutch and it obviously still has a neutral, but I wonder if there’s still a way to disengage the motor in emergency situations.

I wonder if there’s still a way to disengage the motor in emergency situations.
The big, red rocker switch just above the starter button. :p
It's obvious from all your previous posts that you're really looking forward to the AE and I'm fine with that, I’m looking forward to it as well. But comparing the kill switch to simply squeezing the clutch to disengage the motor from rear wheel is two completely different things. We have the kill switch option now, but in over 30 years of riding I’ve never used the kill switch in an emergency situation, although I’ve used that clutch so many times in “oh shit” situations that I can’t even remember them all.

I mean, how is this scenario going to work on the AE if I hit the kill switch: I’m heading for a right turn at a blind corner because I’m going to the right of a big ass RV that is stopped at the light, I’m going slow and it looks clear but then “oh shit” here comes this truck hauling ass through a yellow light out of no where so I grab that clutch and front brake drop my foot down and stop myself half way into the turn. Damn that was close, but “oh shit” again because the car coming up behind me isn’t slowing down now because now the damn light is green and he doesn’t see me in middle of the turn, I let the first truck pass and then let take the hell off right behind him in first to avoid be rear ended by the car. Perhaps the AE would work exactly like above except without any clutch involved at all, I don’t know.

But I would have had to restart the bike if I used the kill switch and the car coming up behind me would have probably hit me. Also in an automatic, there’s no way it takes off as fast a manual, at least not in any auto I’ve ever driven. People have said that this wont be like a automatic and it won’t shift for you and others have said it does shift for you, and that you’ll even still be able get that front wheel off the ground. We’ll just have to wait and see for ourselves.

Being able to disengage and reengage that motor exactly when it’s needed is huge. There are still a lot of questions regarding this option and I haven’t seen much from Yamaha yet so everything is just speculation at this point.

i have an AE on order. you won't need a the kill switch or clutch to emergency stop. it's going to work much like a tiptronc. if cruising along in 5th gear and you need to make a panic stop, then all you'll have to do is hit the brakes!!!!! and down shift only if you want to. you'll be able to stop it in 5th gear with no ill effects whatsoever. but, you will just not be able to start off in 5th, so you'll need to shift down to 1st to get rolling again. i don't think this transmission is as complicated as most of you make it seem. we know it will shift faster and hopefully smoother. it will shift like every other fjr..just no clutch. feathering won't be a problem. just stick it in first and from 0mph to whatever 1st is geared for, will be a smooth acceleration. shift to 2nd etc.... downshifting will be the same as now. simple just know clutch. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully they've got a very good fuel map for the new FI, especially just off idle to maybe 2500 rpm. Thats where I find myself feathering the clutch to make up for my current 05's on/off throttle tendancies at times.

"People have said that this wont be like a automatic and it won’t shift for you and others have said it does shift for you, and that you’ll even still be able get that front wheel off the ground. We’ll just have to wait and see for ourselves. "

there are several write ups on with pics. it will shift same as now with foot actuated lever or the "paddle" shifters next to the left grip. it's beyond me as to how it can't shift faster. your still controlling when to shift, just eliminating the slight time and effort of using the clutch to do it. this is from yamaha's site

"FJR1300AE receives, in addition to the other `06 refinements listed, heated grips and a Yamaha exclusive electric-shift five-speed transmission that eliminates the clutch lever entirely—now you can click off supersmooth shifts using either the left bar-mounted paddles or the foot-operated gearshift lever"

Tiptronic type tranny's (manumatics) are typically automatic transmissions with torque converters.

This is different - it will be the normal wet plate clutch controlled by a computer.

Anyway, I don't give a shit how you "justify" the bikes operation: you will have less control with the AE than the good-ol'-row-it-yourself we currently ride.

You will not be able raise the throttle and slip the clutch. Raising the throttle will tell the computer you want to go faster and as such it will engage the clutch further.

Face it guys, the thing's a fucking scooter. Get a morpheus and save yourself some serious coin.

-BD

"This is different - it will be the normal wet plate clutch controlled by a computer."

i was simply stating it was similar to a tiptronic. there will be a computer controlled clutch, but you manually shift through the gears the same as a standard. at least you actually know what it is. but i'm curious as to how you know so well how it is going to feel and operate. by the way, you talk sounds as though you've ridden one. i don't need to justify anything about the bike...especially to a negative rider such as yourself that can only spew negative things on subjects you have no more info on than the rest of us.

BRUNDOG....i just noticed your mileage posted on your '05..sorry for being an ass in my last post. i didn't realize you were such a freshman rider on the fjr. your silly scooter remarks and such are forgiven, as you don't have enough seat time on a fjr to know diddly shit about them. i'll start listening to opinions from more veteran riders on the subject. sorry again.

BRUNDOG....i just noticed your mileage posted on your '05..sorry for being an ass in my last post. i didn't realize you were such a freshman rider on the fjr. your silly scooter remarks and such are forgiven, as you don't have enough seat time on a fjr to know diddly shit about them. i'll start listening to opinions from more veteran riders on the subject. sorry again.
Nope, I think you were the freshman for not realizing that a "tiptronic" automatic transmission is very different than a manual transmission with an electro/hydrauic clutch, and then being an ass when it was pointed out that you were wrong.

your right fjrchooser....got a little carried away. edited.

again i was stating that it is similar in that you can stop from high speed in any gear without ill effect. the electronic clutch senses what to do. i can certainly handle being wrong and corrected, but don't need the the negativity from another member basically saying that what i bought may as well be a "fucking Scooter".

The argument is all conjecture until someone gets to ride one and write an article. Then we can all argue about the author's bias towards a standard clutch motorcycle and that he is such a dinosaur when it comes to new technology.

The bottome line, just wait until they get here. If you want one, you'll probably sing its praises. If you don't want one, you'll never understand why someone would order "that" thing.

Jeez, give it a rest. Is this the new Dreaded Waiters Lair ? Oh, I know, this is all in preparation for a long winter's posting session, isn't it?

Hooo-boy.....

We are all riding and buying FJR's so who the fuck cares.

Nobody is forcing one or the other to buy/ride the manual or the AE.

Isn't it great that WE HAVE A BIKE SUPPORTED by the manufacturer, getting new features, rather than stagnating or being cancelled, like Honda's Magna?

That was a great bike. People bought them because of that wonderful motor but......

It had chain drive, a wimpy rear drum brake, and a horrificly small gas tank. That bike was on sale for years and NOT ONE CHANGE was made other than the color.

What kinda bullshit is that.

Our bike sells

Our bike performs

Our bike is being supported

Can't the community at least step up and pull through on the last two items?

Sometimes it's adviseable for us to do a "rectile defilade" check. BRUNDOG, go to the head of the line.

I have ordered an AE too.....got it for 13,589 including dealers prep & frieght....be carefull Yamaha dealers are pros and will gouge you if your not aware of the pricing.

The bike will go just like your car goes with Auto Trans......This type of shifting is availiable in a car, only your're gonna have to spend $250,000 on a Ferrari to get it.....so I'm sure it not only works just fine, but we'll watching you in our rear mirrors in case you miss a shift and dissappear completely out of site and get lost........

See ya on the road in may....