East Texas in December

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely! Or you may want to ride over and join us for breakfast!! We can do whatever floats your boat, man.

Graler - looks like the campground is a good 250 miles from you. If we left clockwise on Saturday, you'd have to leave your house BEFORE dark-thirty to catch us. That might be a hike even for the FJR. Maybe consider spending at least Friday night with us? Split a room with Petey or better yet, come camp with us?

The Angelina National Forest is nice and so is the Davy Crockett areas. Mostly piney woods, but there are some stands of hard woods mixed in. I'll probably run in and out of the trees during the weekend, using the Farm-to-market roads as connectors. I find even the FTM roads over there in good shape with 65, 70, and even 75 mph speed limits. Like previously written, it won't be Deals Gap riding, but I like it and I think you will too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish I could make this but I already have commitments on the 11th and 12th. You boys have fun and be safe! :)

When you guys get it all sorted out, I'll be packed.

Question, are we staying at Boykin Springs CG for the entire weekend?

I think so. Only 3 nights and with the short days, we don't have to waste 2 hours breaking down and setting back up. I should be able to drum up another decent loop ride for Sunday.

Less than 2 weeks now. Hoping the weather holds....

You ain't no sissy in my book. In the Spring, I had about 45 seconds of riding in frozen stuff and I do not care to do that ever again.
Boykin Springs Campground is a nice place near Zavalla. No showers, but I wouldn't mind staying there again. Martin Dies State Park is really nice - but would be more crowded.

Edit- Boykin has showers

I can drum up some decent loop routes between Angelina, Sabine, and Davy Crockett National Forest. Pretty much all piney woods - not "Tail of the Dragon" riding, but pretty in its own rite. The roads are well maintained and the speed limits are generous as there isn't much traffic out there.

Plenty of inexpensive motels too in Jasper, Nacogdoches, etc.
Pants you are correct in the distance. There are a couple of things to make sure are taken care of and then things might free up. The DW is already away crafting for the weekend so that leaves me with two four legged kids at home. Now my youngest son is scheduled to be on Christmas break from school so that takes care of that. Work has me in Cincinnati thru Thursday. If that install goes as expected - work shouldn't get in the way. I am removing roadblocks as fast as they appear. I even avoided doing some stuff on the bike - I want her ready to go. I might consider a hotel night. That would make for a full day of riding on Saturday with an evening run back to the house.

And with a BIG weather depending, I may try and make it a couple nights from DFW. Will be watching the weather and this for more details.

Mike

Still working on this. Going to see if I can get someone to step in on my last few hours of on call for Friday. Otherwise, I'll have the bike loaded and pointed out of the garage for a 7PM launch. That'd leave me with a late night camp setup but I can do that no problem. Need to snag me a better sleeping bag though looking at current temperatures.

I do have to say, if the weather looks anything like it was this last weekend, I'm out. I'll ride in the cold and rain, I'll camp in the cold and rain, but only by necessity, not by choice.
biggrin.png

Understood - I'm with you on the cold and rain. This time of year, it's a crap shoot. We will just have to wait and see.

As we get closer to this, I would like to firm up the arrival dates. BlackandWhite and I are trying to coordinate to get down there.

SO what day are you getting there? I have to plan for a couple of days off. Either Thursday and Friday or Friday and Monday. I need to give my principal time to find a sub teacher.

I'm planning to take off on Friday (12/11) and Monday (12/14).

Edit - I've updated the OP on this thread to reflect the interest in this get together. If I have missed anyone, or misrepresented this, please advise. Next week, we can dial it in closer re: camp sites, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in weather dependent and if I can make it work at the shop. Cav47 and I are installing new tires this coming Sunday in preparation.

The weather at this point looks like it may be great, 60-70's with a chance rain Saturday. Haven't seen any hotel's suggested yet, been looking at the Google maps to get an idea of what's close to the forest campground. Seems like Lufkin is the closest city, and right between the two forests. .

This LaQuinta in Lufkin at about $80 seems like a pretty good spot, walk to restaurants. The others in Lufkin are a ride from the hotel to eat, but not far. There are a few smaller hotels in the middle of nowhere, but thinking with the long dark nights it would be nice to have a restaurant/beverage establishment closer to the hotel.

Open to anyplace, just throwing this one out there.

I'm planning on Friday and Saturday night, riding home Sunday, if anyone's looking to share a room with a boring, 52yo dad. (still weather dependent)

Mike

Lufkin would be the closest town with a decent motel and some eating choices. For the campers, there is a grocery in Zavalla, which is in between the campground and Lufkin. We can get plenty to cook at the campsite from there.

Looking forward to it.

Sorry to say I have to bail for this get together....something came up
ohwell.gif
You guys have fun and stay safe....

Update on my status. I am going to have to make a run to Wichita Falls and back on Friday. Depending on how that drive goes will determine if I make the run to Lufkin.

Joe

Ran it past the wifey. It's been put on the calendar...in pencil. So we'll see how that works out.
Small wrinkle in my plans. Apparently when running it past the wife, do not do so when she's sick and on medication. Now that she's feeling better she has no recollection of that conversation. I still think I'm good to go, but she sure was surprised.
biggrin.png

Cav47 is going to have to make the trip without me. I am working 6 days next week and do not have the staffing to support me being out of the shop for 2 days. Y'all have fun now, ya hear!