East Texas in December

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I almost went out and bought a cold weather sleeping bag, but looked at the weather and we have prime camping weather upon us. No hotel for me, I want to see how pants camps. Maybe learn some things.

Of course, I go and look again now a day or so later and it's showing rain. Will be keeping an eye on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
This Lufkin forecast ain't looking too good.....

lufkin%20forecast_zpsds2nk7uw.jpg

I'm checking weather for alternate locations for a 4-day weekend and I'm not seeing too much change.

I'm in a holding pattern right now....

kinda like the rain....................in a holding pattern.

On my phone, I have 5 locations for weather updates.

Lufkin Texas, Harrison Arkansas, Bonne Terre Missouri, Lafayette Louisiana, Maggie Valley North Carolina and All of them have some form of rain on at least 2 days. D@MN

As best I can tell, whatever the weather front is that is going to pass through that area this weekend is going to affect everything from DFW through Shreveport/Arkansas, and then heading further south and east after that.

At least for now, the Texas Hill Country is looking better.

I'm just going to wait and see how it goes.

Just throwing out something else I'm thinking about. Garner State Park in Hill Country, Texas:

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/garner

This is a huge State Park with plenty (hundreds) of camp sites still available (as of Monday, 3 pm CDT)

Good riding in this region this time of year. The 3 sisters roads are good:

https://www.hillcountrycruising.com/the3s.html

Closest decent town for hotel/motel might be Uvalde, Tx (32 miles)

Weather forecast for this area seems to be good for now. I'm still watching the weather and hoping for a forecast change in the Lufkin area. Just throwing this out there to see if there is any interest.

Just dropped my seat in the mail to Seth Laam today so I'm out. Hope you boys find a good place to camp and have safe, fun rides. Hope to catch up next time.

Just dropped my seat in the mail to Seth Laam today so I'm out. Hope you boys find a good place to camp and have safe, fun rides. Hope to catch up next time.
Put the bike on a trailer and I'm sure one of us can scrounge you up a seat to use. I have one if I end up going.

Okay, I admit I hosed this up. Since I didn't get the build date moved I didn't apply for a kitchen pass or time off work.

If I didn't suck so bad I'd have thought to ask about a loaner seat but I don't know many of you and underestimated you guys.

I won't be going with you. Did I mention how bad I suck?

Have fun and be safe!

I'm out as well, sketchy weather and seems like no one else would stay at the hotel. Friday's supposed to be very nice, anyone want to meet somewhere east/south/north/west of DFW for lunch?

I've somehow found that my garage has three FJR seats in it (not counting passenger seats). Looks like I could have hooked both of you losers up.
biggrin.png

Sigh, might not be going, and now Austin looks to have weather on Saturday.

Oh, I still have a seat on my FEEJER. I rode today actually. But I am not going to be able to make this trip with is the most sadness.

Well, she ain't singing just yet, but the fat lady is certainly warming up.

I can't seem to find a place in the region with a reasonably decent weather forecast. Earlier this week, it looked like running to Hill Country would allow us to stay west of the front, but now they are forecast to get it on Saturday and the surface map shows the front backing toward them.

My friends will agree - in these parts, when they say "50%", they might as well mean 100% because 1/2 of the region will get measurable rain, and the other half will get this drippy, misty, just enough to wet the roads crap that tends to linger when the front hits the gulf and then backs up a little. Throw in temperatures around 50 degrees and a strong wind (inevitable) and you can kid yourself, but camping (or riding) in that for 3 days just ain't much fun.

I'll check it again tomorrow, and hope for a miracle.

I knew suggesting it this time of year was a gamble. Maybe this is why I don't play the lottery.

Sucks.

Yea, haven't seen much of the wifey lately what with the deal with her grandmother. Me and the boy fly out to Florida the next week for Christmas (wifey can't come because of work). Son is going to spend the night this weekend with grandpa, leaving us the opportunity for some "Alone Time"
wink.png

Much as I'd like to spend the weekend with pants, it'd be kind of nice to spend the weekend without any pants.

TMI?
biggrin.png