Engine Didn't Grenade/Something Happened/And Final Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if it's this tear down or another but the OP (or one of these recent tear-downs) admitted on another forum that the much-cleaned motor in the final photos ended up being an engine swap and not the engine in the original photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. I wasn't sure. There seems to be 2 similar threads floating around. The one I was thinking of showed a lot of external clean-up shots and mentioned gold-tinted valve stems before finally pointing out the differences that showed it was a new(er) engine that finally went back into the bike.

Having lunched a C10 after trying to start it one morning. Not even a full crank rev and BANG! The culprit was a cylinder full of fuel. The cause was a mix of "user error" and a less than effective tank valve. This is/was a known problem. Although engine vacuum was supposed to get fuel flowing, the petcock didn't always close. Which mean fuel drained into the motor, found its way into a cylinder. Hitting the starter and trying to compressible fluid had obvious consequences,

User error = trusting the "automatic" petcock valve.

How fuel drained into a cylinder escapes me, but it did. As I said, C10's were known to do this.. That is, this wasn't an isolated event.

So - that the motor wouldn't crank if there was fuel in #2 is no surprise. What does surprise me is a cylinder full of fuel didn't bend a rod or worse. And, of course, how did the cylinder fill while the motor ran? Possibly/probably the cylinder wasn't full, and maybe a valve was open, avoiding hydraulic death. But then, why was it there after returning home? Passing the leakdown test explains why fuel didn't trickle into the oil (too bad no one sniffed the oil and strained the some oil through a coffee filter.)

Not to rain on the parade but... I won't be surprised to hear the motor eventually crunched. With no explanation for the mystery of fuel accumulated where it shoudn't, I wouldn't plan on riding across Death Valley.

The hydrolock problem on Kawasaki Concours was a combination of two failures simultaneously. The vacuum operated petcock and the fuel float valve in one of the carburetors had to fail at the same time. Failure of either alone would not fill the cylinder with fuel. Many COG members would add an electrical solenoid valve between the vacuum valve and the carbs as extra insurance against it.

FJRs have no carb and no vacuum petcock. Without power the fuel pump wont run. Dont think the Connie problem is at all related.

My point isn't that this engine is the victim of C10 Syndrome. Of course it's not. It's that, however the gas got into the cylinder (something that should be sorted out), I'm puzzled as to how this engine didn't bend a rod or whatever. Particularly because #2 had the least leak-down / best sealing. Further, given a cylinder had a significant amount of gas in it, what's to keep it from happening again. And doing more than just locking up the starter. IMHO, someone got very lucky.

ADDED: Mentioning C10 Syndrome is to show what can happen when a cylinder is filled with gas and the starter tries to turn the motor. That applies for any 4-stroke motor, not just the C10's motor. Or FJR motor.

Yeah. I wasn't sure. There seems to be 2 similar threads floating around. The one I was thinking of showed a lot of external clean-up shots and mentioned gold-tinted valve stems before finally pointing out the differences that showed it was a new(er) engine that finally went back into the bike.
The thread you are thinking of is by Rayzerman14.