Engineers or Mechanics?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not an engineer. Not a mechanic. Actually, I am a male model. You know all those "before / after" ads? I'm the "before".
LOL.

BSEE/MSCS (digital logic design engineer/software engineer).

Good question, by the way. I was surprised to hear about some of the highly technical jobs some of the Feejer pilots hold down when I met them at the WFO.

Software Engineer. Used to work for Sandia National Labs so I was sort of a LockMart employee when they started running it.
The scene is a volunteer fire station near Livermore, CA. County training officer: "You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand this." Response: "But... we are rocket scientists."
Goverment appointed Professional Information Distributor (Rural Mail Carrier), Graduate of Lucas Electric School (BSA'S, Triumph's) with few lessons from Zen Master, Pops Yoshimura. Currently being schooled by my Daughters.

Semi-retired bum....in the past I've owned a motorcycle shop fabing racing bikes.....& just last year sold my European auto repair shop.....now starting to design & build some aluminium racing frames, stainless rollbars & cages etc,.... part time... for a can't be named racing operation due to confidentiality agreements... :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Started taking bicycles apart at age 7. Build a boat (er,supposed to be a boat-but sunk) at 10. Bought a BSA Bantam at 13 (1955) and took it apart to see how it worked because I couldn't get a license 'till age14. A good thing I had the time 'cause it took quite a while to make it run again.Bought a Crolsey at age 15 and added a water injector to get all the way up to ~27 HP!

Bought a (very7 used) 1955 Porsche 356 while in college and,after a few attempts,could get the engine on the work bench by myself in ~45 minutes.

BS Mechanical Engineering in 1965. Designed Lockheed aircraft 'till 1969. Been making paint (in a factory with lots of machinery) ever since.

I still get a rush when I take something apart,put it back together and ----IT WORKS!

I have a 1972 Triumph Daytona,a 1956 BSA Bantam,a 2006 Ducati PS1000LE(Really Cool bike!) and I can keep them running and add a farkle to each every chance I get---but the FJR gets the miles.

I was a Machinist Mate in the Navy way back when...a pit snipe, Which is part of the Engineering Dept. Funny thing was, we didnt design anything, just fixed what was wrong with everything else.
So did they install the 2nd elbow for you or did it develop naturally?

As a kid I used to put coins on the track and wait for the engineers to go by.
We did the same, but found the whoa factor went up exponentially when they were accompanied by a train.

(note I used some big engineer type woids, as well as noting the fatal flaw in the original post. I is smarterer)
i'm sorry i wasn't more clear in my first post. the coins on the track were tips for the engineers. if we kept them distracted like that we didn't have to actually talk to them.

Define engineer...
Well, my job title is Apparatus Engineer, but I'm really more of a glorified janitor. Not glorified as in making money, but more like admired by small children. We clean up messes that are usually created by stupidity. No lack of job security in my field.
i was worried that you worked in the adult enterainment industry.

Mechanical Engineer- Worked on lots of cool stuff over the years: Kinetic runway penetrators, anti-tank weapons, Pnuematic launchers, automotive electronic lighting and now the next generation of equipment for the Army's fighters. Tons of fun especially on testing days.

Undergrad in mechanical engineering.

Have been involved in marketing & sales of industrial products for last 12 years.

Love my FJR. Great decision.

I work on boilers and controls, Electronics/Electrical background. My dad was a jet engine mechanic, we had the nicest toolbox around. I was a motorhead early on, worked in an engine machine shop in school. Dabble in SCCA racing with a car I built nearly done. Built an airflow bench for cylinder heads for my garage. Love horsepower and the smell of race gas.

My water bed heater has a fuzzy logic controller on it, and I have a ported and polished lawnmower.

I could show you what I do but then you'd be dead, for I am Ninja. :assassin:

Jack of all trades, master of none....BSME a while ago.

Did a stint on offshore platforms in Kali. (Those chopper pilots were nuts) Graduated to process engineering, specializing in heat transfer, plant energy balances, industrial superheat boilers, falling film evaporators, big heaters, turbo generator sets....Gotta love steam.

--G

Civilian helicopter mechanic.

I used to work on B727's too until the whole world learned they burn to much gas, take to many crew members, wear out one to many engines etc. and sold them all. I always wondered where they sent all those old tired birds. Thanks Odot for filling me in. :D :D :D

As a kid I used to put coins on the track and wait for the engineers to go by.
We did the same, but found the whoa factor went up exponentially when they were accompanied by a train.

(note I used some big engineer type woids, as well as noting the fatal flaw in the original post. I is smarterer)
Start another thread "Phunnier or Jokers or smarterer" radman u cracked me up! :lol:

At 16, worked as apprentice on CAT earth moving engines.

MCs: Worked on 250cc two strokes and some on 550cc four.

Servicing cars - brakes, etc.

Most stuff in my garage is for work on house - designed expansion front & back!

I wish I had a bigger garage to tool around ...

BTech Chem Engg MS Chem Engg (Polymers)

MS Comp Sci (HW Infrastructure & SW, PM current)

Got the computer bug during studies, so never used my Chem E :(